1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Welcome back Baltekmi!
    I do have to ask though, sorry for being a meanie, but why exactly is that in the overclocking thread? :p

IM: I wait until I have a product in use and working, fully tested before I give feedback, that sometimes means up to 3 or 4 days after an item arrives - he may be doing the same.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

arg
    see, i didnt know the background....he posted about formatting so i thought that he didnt know how to do a basic format....had no idea it was this bad....
    oh well,
    -im1992

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i hope so...
    or maybe he didnt have time to install it during the week? (work maybe?)
    -im1992

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

osrry imran, but you can recor data so easily with just a normal format.

i have erased many HDDs with that, and then used a recovery tool and got everything back.

your best bet would to take a hammer to the HDD. IF not, THEN, use this:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

burn an ISO, and only connect up the HDD u want to erasse, and restart with the CD, and set to book from CD, and then nuke all HDDs that are connected

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

see...i never sold a hard drive, i only buy or open them up when they die.....never really had a working hard drive that was sitting out of a computer
    nice piece of software you got there! i am sure it will come in handy in the future
    thanks,
    -im1992

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

im1992 - A polite request - you do far too much back to back posting. If you think of something after you've hit send on a reply, just go back and edit the previous reply instead of always posting again. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

sorry...i will do as you say in the future.
    thanks for letting me know,
    -im1992

there is no flower icon on my camera...
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=12442&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=9255
    thanks,
    -im1992

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ta very much.
    Some of oldies can't absorb so much information anyways :)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Put your camera to SCN mode with the little wheel thing, and then use the arrow keys to go to the Flower icon. It's usually called Macro mode, but Kodak is retarded and doesn't call it that.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Reformatting a hard drive (high level remormat) doesn't erase all the info just its references. A knowledgeable person can actually recover much of the data a fact that hasn't escaped the RIAA.;D In some instances the information has to be completely shredded to incoherency before it is truly unrecoverable. The best bet is to do a low level reformat which returns the hard drive to its pre-formatted state and also erases information.

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

well, i dont usually sell my hard drives so never had to do that

thanks, i will try that

in other news....3.4ghz is very stable and it is going to be my 24/7 speed
    i am very happy with this overclock (340 x 10)
    really, who needs a 3.6ghz or 4ghz quad core anyways? i think i can achieve those speeds with my current setup but it would require me to up the voltages on everything a little too much...might even kill my hardware which i don't want...cant afford at the moment (saving up for a car)
    this is faster than the fastest quad so the basic theory of overclocking is already achieved (to pay less money for the highest available CPU of the same class...at least this is my theory...)
    thank you to everyone who helped me achieve this, especially Sophocles who kept me from giving up
    thank you!,
    -im1992

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

But baltekmi who had the problem and asked the question might! He had a reformatting issue that involved the possibility of a retained virus. Just reformatting a Hard drive using high level format is not enough to clean a hard drive and certainly not enough to clean and infected one. A low level format results in hysteresis which reverts the hard drive to its pre-purchase state, and good enough to wipe out a nasty virus.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

im,

that statement is true to some degree as it is faster than the fastest stock quad core. how many ppl do you think are going to run a stock cpu in this thread? :)

3.4ghz is about where I will start out when I go to OC my Q9450. we can compare some benchy's when I get there. I'm going to eventually shoot for 3.6ghz or a little higher. I won't get my Q9450 until monday and won't have time to put it in until wednesday. It'll stay at stock 2.66ghz for a while.

in regards to reformatting a hdd, I always run killdisc at least once.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It is faster than the fastest quad core on two cores overclocked because it will always have a 200 MHz advantage. A quad core only has an advantage when it runs true quad threads at once.

Mort

I say go for the quad core, in the long run it will prove the most future proof. I just don't do anything in computers for the long run, and especially with you guys around. LOL

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

with nehlam there is no future for c2d/c2q :)

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

you got it!
    but the first release of nehalem, bloomfield, will be quad core with hyper threading.....
    my next upgrade would be an octo core with hyper threading! lol, 16 cpus in the task manager!!!
    -im1992

well if you think of it that way....you can always get a qx9650 and overclock it to 4ghz.....but is it worth the 1200 bucks? no
    i started out with wanting only 3ghz but ended up with 3.4ghz on a motherboard ppl say sux for overclocking quads so i think i did well for myself
    also, i am not a hardcore overclocker so i dont really know how to overclock things well....maybe with the same exact setup i have, you may be able to get higher clocks...
    -im1992

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You mean no recent future? LOL

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well its out Q4 2008, with the dual core and Qcores at 2.66 2.93 and 3.33 (IICR) being released.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I would say a good 6 months wouldn't you?

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol
    the starting price would be sooo high and DDR3 doesnt seem like its coming down in price any time soon......and an x58 mobo wouldnt be the most economical money wise either!
    i am going to upgrade in June/July 2009 to Nehalem....by then a whole nehalem setup w/o gpu should run less than 600 bucks (ram + mobo + midrange CPU)....wouldnt you say?
    now that would be the time to upgrade
    in Q4, arent only the server parts being released anyways? so no Bloomfield core...
    -im1992