1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Spammer92,
    I think you want a combination of a high multi and running your RAM at rated speeds or a bit of an OC if you can. If you can run at your highest multi with a GOOD OC and stay stable why wouldn't you do that?? It seems less stress on the FSB is a more wanted thing for the sake of heat and unwanted extra stress. JM2C on it... :D

I've had more issues running the FSB at a "significant" OC than the RAM or cpu itself. I'm very new to OC'ing so I may be a little off here but I expect Sophy or Morty to correct me or at minimum add to what I've said. ;)

.....gm

OH forgot.. Sammy touched on it. ;)

A vcore of 1.45v-1.48v should get you all you need for a GOOD OC!! It is a little scary to run a machine at 1.5v on air 24/7 depending on temps of course. You're at 3.5GHz right now right?? That's dang good for that processor and the voltage you're pushing thru it. :) /me is jealous... btw I'm waiting on some cheapy RAM to get here to make sure I'm not having RAM issues... Well at least NOT getting along with the Striker Extreme. It still makes NO sense why it would do what it's doing... lol. :O

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My understanding was that even if you had low temps if the voltage was high enough it would still cause electromigration...

Sam, with early previews and on not totally complete motherboards the Nehalem quads gave an astounding 80% performance gain over the Penryn Quads. Anyway it's on anandtech.com check it out.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Electromigration will eventually occur in any CPU even if it's not overclocked and overvolted. Increased voltages will speed that up but how fast it is sped up depends a lot on temperatures. Heat will accelerate the process.

Here is a link to the specifications for the Q6700 and you will note that the voltage range for it is 0.85v to 1.5v. He is now running his CPU at the top range of voltage for that processor. I would only maintain those types of voltages if the processor was running cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115027

4. im1992

im1992 Regular member

syr, thx for the reminder
    honest mistake on my part...
    -im1992

@everyone else,
    is it ~9hr stable at 100% at 3.4ghz with 1.46v and temps never going over 63C on any one core...i will try to lower the voltage later but .04v for "just" a 100mhz is too much in my opinion...
    -im1992

hehe, niceee
    you overclock your computer much?
    -im1992

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No problem, i'm just keeping my eye on the place :)

[​IMG]

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

doing some testing here. i set everything back to default settings. cleared cmos and have it (cpu) running at stock speed 3.0ghz. my temps are the same as when at 3.6ghz. shouldnt it or wouldnt it be lower?
    but the vcore is set at auto also the same at 3.6 as at 3.0 so that wouldnt cause the temps to go up any. ??? so i guess maybe i just answered my own question makeing this a silly post.

7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

and why would you go back to stock??? from a nice 3.6ghz?!?!?!
    -im1992

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just seeing if my temps change. and they are no different at stock or @ 3.6ghz

EDIT to add:
    [​IMG]

back to normal..lol

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

was having a problem with my 3.0GHz OC. i even put it on stock at 1.6GHz (e2140) and IDLE temps were 41/43 and load hittign over 85 and shutting off. atstock :O

i then talked to my brother (12 years old) who was trying to clock it with the same problems as me (hes i little young, no? esp for Ocing) he told me he wanted to see if it would be better for the articcooler freezer 7 pro (F7P) to point so it blew up, and couldnt find TP so put it back as it was (me angry at him and he has a bruise now LOL)

so i ordered some OCZ freeze. (i was using AS5 which on normal days before the reseating was getting 35 IDLE and about 70 load at 3GHZ and 1.35Vs)

i then took of the AS5 and put on the OCZ freeze, and stuck it straight to 3.0GHz at 1.4v with the RAM (pc6400 800MHz) at 2.2 with 555 15 at 999MHz, no sweat. i got OCCT for 1 hour no problems. and i am now idleing 31 and max load i have seen is 59.

OCZ freeze is amazing, and now i can recomend it over the others, and doesnt need any curing time, like AS5 and isnt conductive.

so:

AS5 at 1.35v idle 35C load 70C
    OCZ freeze 1.4v idle 31 load 59

brilliant

imma push it more now and push the ram. i cant belive it got to 1000, imma try for 1100 now.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doesn't sound right to me, I've not seen gains of more than a few degrees with other thermal compounds, it might not have been applied correctly - additionally I have only ever noticed differences of 1-2C from curing time with AS5...

Good to see there are more realistic choices for thermal compound now though - had I not got a tube and a half of AS5 still left, I'd get some! :)

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah i was worried, btu i applied it exaclt the same for both, one rice grin sized line down the centre on the chip and then twist the HS slightly and then push the pins in. when i lifted it, the AS5 was fully covering the IHS and the bottom of the AS5

ill buy more TP when i get my mani build, and ill test a good few types for us.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, bizarre. What fan speed are you using the Freezer 7 at, and what voltage? I found it pretty hard to even reach 59 when I was using it. I made 57C at 3Ghz using 1.43Vcore at 70% fan speed.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH me likey that little progie RedRob. :) /me goes hunting the WWW for it.. :D

.....gm

btw I wouldn't think your temps would change that much from stock to the OC you have. :) It's not a big OC but on the other hand do you have your vcore at manual when it's at 3.0?? The auto function seems to put to much thru the cpu if you ask me. ;)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is an 86% overclock, versus the 75% I use, so it's going to pick up a high voltage I suppose...

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well i have both side panels open distrupting my airflow LOL. (the right oen caus my 24pin cable is at the bak of my mobo try now allowing a closure, and front caus i love looking at my case and its tidyness, (its the ONLY tidy thing in my room HAHA)

oh i am using 55% fan speed for quietness.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, that explains the high temps then, 55% speed wasn't enough to keep my CPU stable under full load when I used the freezer 7.
    As for the case, as far as I'm concerned, side panel on is tidier than side panel off, and having the other side off just so you can manage the cables is absurd!

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

shaff you can run the 24 pin cable inside your case and still have a very tidy computing area. ;) I agree with Sammy about leaving off the side panels but I run with mine off most of the time cause I'm doing stuff I shouldn't... lol. :p Anyway it's just one cable and it's pretty important so you make the call. ;)

....gm

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

first off, heres the link to that proggie(got it here at ad)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/other_tools/crystalcpuid.cfm

second. i have the vcore at auto with both settings 3.0 & 3.6. i dont change it to manual until i take it over 3.6ghz. also in manual the vcore is higher. there is only a .10v difference from the 3.0 to the 3.6 in auto 1.125v@3.0 1.227v@3.6 just barely at the rated voltage for the 3.6 OC

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i honstley cant go less tidy than this, itll kill me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(you can see the 24pin cable sticking out :{)

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Tidy has its moments, but throw in a couple of CPU water cooling hoses, Chiset fan, a dedicated sound card, high definition tv tuner, two DVDRW's, a Blu-Ray drive (HD DVD drives is connected by USB) heat sink and fans for air cooling memory, and then see how uncluttered it looks. LOL