The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

NB heatsinks are different sizes for different chipsets and mobo manufactures. 20mm x 20mm x 20mm fit perfect on both the chipset heatsinks on my P5W DH Deluxe. 40mm would have been too big. I ended up using some machine screws for one chipset fan and some wood screws for the other.

GM,

you never answered my question a few posts back.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

once again I ask, if you use an aftermarket NB heatsink, what do you do about the thermal tubing between the NB heatsing and the mosfets heatsink?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

do you mean the heat pipes?

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Are you sure about that 20x20x20 fan size? I couldn't find any and when I googled, I got exactly 1 and that was in the UK. Another reason I ask is that most chipset heat sinks work perfect with 40mm fans. Even the cheapo Asus coolers (the chromed plastic) are 40mm!

Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Most chipsets these days come with passive cooling which is fine for normal operation but when one begins to overclock they are not so effective. The instructions that come with the motherboard suggest that you use your CPU fan to cool the chipset and that does help a bit but it is still not that effective. I've found that a well placed fan can do a much better job without too much hassle.

Mort makes a good point about noise so you will have to choose well and use vibration damping materials to reduce vibration. I use water cooling and because it is so effect I always use the low setting and it is much quieter than a CPU fan, so the chipset fan is the only fan in that area. I do a little cooling shopping every now and then to see what is available.

Here is one of the places that I like to shop for cooling ideas.

http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you're right Russ. they were 40 x 40 x 40. I got confused because the 1st ones I used were 40 x 40 x 20 and I upgraded them to 40 x 40 x 40. my bad.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

those look cool(yes pun intended) but do i take of the coolers that are now on there or do they go over the top of what i have now?

and the 40mm fan i just set it ontop of the nb and i screw the screws i find into the fins on the NB ? and the same on the sb. the sb is alot smaller it wont split/crack it will it?

man it looks like the whole gang is here tonight. alot of info flying around for sure..

got a question/favor to ask.... anyone with a fan/enzotech chip could you take a pic of it so i could see what it looks like?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

exactly. you can mount them on your existing heatsinks. I would still do a mobo mod as previously mentioned.

well I guess nobody is going to answer my question.

I don't need any chipset mods or fans other than the normal mod I already did but it would present even more problems for me if I replaced my heatsinks because I have thermal tubing (heat pipes)running between my NB HS and my mosfets HS and between my NB HS and my SB HS.

if I was having NB or mobo temp problems, my best scenereo would be to install 1 fan on my NB HS.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just my personal opinion but I think I would go with one or two chipset fans before going to all that. :D

in regards to my P5W DH Deluxe, applying AS5 alone brought my mobo temp down 7 or 8c. then by installing chipset fans, it lowered it another 7 or 8c for nearly a 15c total. it was running about 46c and went down to low 30's.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That Antek I linked you to is 40x40x20mm, moves 6.5 cfm and is quieter than it's specs say at full speed (2200 rpm). Unless it's the only fan in the case, you will never here it! Forget the Silenx and the Evercool. The Silenx don't last but about 3-4 months and the Evercool's are screamers! They spin at more than twice the speed of the Antek and move less air doing it (5000 rpm)!

Russ

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now my NB heatsink is kinda long/rectangle all of these fans are smaller and square. theenzotech stuff is small and round?? im just not pictureing this in my mind... sorry guys for the ignorance here.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a square or a round will fit on a rectangle as long as rectangle is bigger then the square or round.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    See! You can put a round peg in a square hole! ROFL Or is that a square peg in a round hole??? LOL!!

The cooler completely covers the chip portion of the NB

Take a look at these Mosfet coolers from Enzotech.
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enmofocomohe.html
    They come 10 to a package

Russ

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

kinda thought that but i just cant picture that setting on the NB. and the SB is so small and thin i dont know if that antec fan would fit on it.

Russ you know what im talking about haven my board and all. do you have one on your SB?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

thanks russ but I don't need any chipset fans on this mobo. the fans on my P5W DH are 7500 rpm fans but I run them at about 5000 rpm now.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    No! I've never needed one. maybe mine is in just the right spot for the case airflow. Just don't buy one of those Zalmans! It's a PITA to install and it doesn't work very well!

Russ

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh yea my CPU fan right now is at 1480 rpms