1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

RedRob look at this link and see what you think... :) your mobo but the E series. topview... if NOT the topview then go to it. ;) You see the "holes" in the heatsink? Those are the "connectors" and you'll have to remove them from other side of the mobo.. so a removal of your heatsink will have to happen for the replacement. :) I don't know of anyone that has "modded" your mobo but I'm sure you can find it on the WWW. ;) hth....

....gm

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I used to disassemble the passive heat sinks and applied AS5 as well but some of the new passive coolers have gotten better. I find that a well placed quality chipset fan can cool by as much as 8 to 12 c or more.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I dont like taking about my genital area in front of other guys. lol

Anyway, has anyone, to date, ever used those mosfet coolers? I mean we all consider buying them, but we never get around to it.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    That sounds about right. I think the cooler may not have been quite flush or the old thermal past wasn't done well enough before. No thermal paste will make that much difference. I doubt seriously, If from the worst to the best that there's as much as 4-5C difference! Maybe some of the real old Thermal grease supplied with some very cheap coolers.

abuzar1,
    What do you do? Play with it? ROFLMSOAO!

Russ

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol
    i count stop laughing
    but....Shaffaaf tells the truth! hehe
    -im1992

all this talk about NB fans got me thinking....how would i be able to place a NB fan on the 680i?
    here's a pic of the mobo..>http://www.maxitmag.com/images/stories/reviews/asus/striker/asus-striker-big.jpg
    the heatsink is on a slope...like a small hill...so how am i gonna put a fan on it and keep it on!?
    lol...i have almost all sizes of fans from 40mm to 120mm so doing a "check-and-see" won't be too difficult as long as i have a system for mounting the fan...
    thanks,
    -im1992

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    Now you've got me confused. Are the fans for the long and thin or are they for the long and thick? If for the long and thick, how would you mount them?

:<)

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

im,

you should have gotten at least one optional fan with your mobo. they recommend only using it/them with water cooling but you could try one one the long, thin and tall NB heatsink.

nobody listens but I keep telling everybody, reseating your heatsinks with AS5 or equivalent alone will improve temps. be sure to remove all the junk oem thermal paste and clean surfaces thoroughly. been there done that. the oem thermal paste sucks and in most cases doesn't even contact but a portion of the heatsink and chip which in turn keeps the heatsik from contacting a good portion of the chip thus leaving an air gap.

it varys from mobo to mobo but all the ones I have modded had this problem to some degree. for referance, Doc TY (for those who have been here long enough to know who he is) is who 1st introduced me to mobo modding and I've done it to all my mobos ever since. if my credability is not good enough, maybe his is.

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i agree with you 100% Mort about the heatsink thing....all heatsinks i have removed off of NBs have had the thermal paste either dried up and brittle or have a gap as you stated....but i have yet to do this with my striker as i though such a high priced mobo (i paid 350 for it and i even bought 2 at the same time!) would have some high quality thermal paste already underneath...i will pull my mobo out tomorrow and check tho...
    i also have some pics of my system for you all to Njoy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    happy viewing!
    -im1992

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nice setup but why are you using such a small fan in the rear of the case? I would be using the largest fan allowable.

10. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i will see what i can do...
    i should have sum 120mm LED fans somewhere around here
    lol, i have a bunch of fans from different pc builds and pulls from computers that i threw away...(i used to love collecting all the fans i could get my hands on, hehe)
    i should really make a box of all of them....right now, they are scattered all around (storage, garage, room, drawers, closet, etc)
    -im1992

how do i know what the NB temperature is? is MCP the NB temperature?
    thanks,
    -im1992

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've always used the vertical line method since using a dual core CPU...
    Gm: beware - your board has the chipset and VRM heatsinks linked by a heatpipe doesn't it? If you go third party cooling, you'll need a VRM sink too - I have the same issue, so haven't bothered with a thirdparty cooler. Not going over 40 degrees on the chipset though, I don't really think it's necessary for me.

im: Like the tags, agree on the rear 80mm fan! For a system that powerful that's shocking... lol
    What brand is your PSU? I don't recognise it. To be running two 8800s it can't be that bad...

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, don't misquote! lol Shafaf said it, not me.

Sam, he is running a 500W Ultra PSU lol!

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Polite request - let's keep the sexual jokes out of the thread, we've already had one stickied thread closed...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right fair enough, I assumed most Ultra PSUs were black.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry bout the early departure lastnight. the wife was a calling. ;)

guess here is a big burden of proof that the ambient temp in a room does matter.

got kinda cool here lastnight nice cool front came through be here for a couple days. we left the windows open and ceiling fans on. i was down right cold myself was 64f in here. these are the temps i just took with everest.

[​IMG]
    just as i took the snagit shot the coretemps were 46c each. the lowest ive had

i think i might try a couple of those 40mm fans. now will they fit on the small SB also or should i look into the enzotech copper tubes?

now for another question going away from the cooling we've been talking about.
    im thinking of OCing my GPU. what all is involved in doing that?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Overclocking a GPU is even simpler than overclocking a CPU, but doesn't net you anywhere near as big gains. ATITool and Rivatuner are typically the tools of choice for it. When overclocking the GPU you look for instability like a CPU, when overclocking the memory on a GPU, look for graphical corruption in 3D images.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

imran, my PSU is also chrome plated, (and simply the best peice of hardware i have ever owned, work its weight in gold (and it weighs ALOT) and was £100 delivered for it:

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W

BTW i got my E2140 at 400FBS, perfectly working at 3.2GHz, thats a 100% OC. its gor 1.4 on Vcore and 1.4 on NB. time to tweak PLL and GTL.

oh and my RAM is now runnign at 1066 (from its 800MHz its rated to run at, with only 0.1 more Vs and loose timings from 444 12 to 555 15.

maybe ill try and take it to 3.3 before i tweak more settings, and my load temps havent risen above 59C, with orthos and OCCT.

IMRAN, SORT YOUR CABLES OUT!

creaky, i am sorry, wont happen again :D

RUSS, HAHAHAHAHAHA, (i cant comment back, but it would have been dirty (on my behalf) HAHA LOL! )

BTW (creaky notice my On Topic before, so can i please put this on?)

i just got my 24" P-VA Panel monitor for £200

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Sorry, I was laughing so hard at the time. Next time would you mind being a bit less demanding? I'm not a small child (child like doesn't count) in need of punishment, you know! LOL!!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol much better. Is DGM short for Digimate, or is it a different brand?

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member