1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't usually recommend Ultra PSUs so it's not easy to say. A good 500W PSU is sufficient for that hardware.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

DUDE>.....greensman has the same mobo and cpu as you and im not 100% sure but he has the coolermaster realpower 850w psu in it granted he is haven mobo problem with it now but that is way plenty power for your rig.

a good PSU from 500-650w waould be more than you would need
    Sam likes the corsair hx520
    i have the corsair tx650. and its awsome plus ya cant hear them.
    i would go with the Corsair HX620w. wish i did now. not that its any better than my tx650 but, it is modular and you only use the cables ya need.

sam find him the link for them 2 PSU's for you fellas over the pond. you know the good links. i dont frequent them much...lol

here is a link for us on this side of the pond. i dont knwo what these prices would be converted for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16817139001,N82E16817139002

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thx for the input!
    i really really want an 1100 watt but the price isnt something that i am willing to pay soooooo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
    its hecka cheap at only 110 bucks (after rebate) anyone had any experiences with Corsair rebaters b4?
    this should last me 2 pc builds right? (nehalem and then w/e the 32nm are)???
    thanks,
    -im1992

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    You might as well get what you want now as Nehalem is going to be an expensive move since you'll need a new motherboard as well as a new CPU! Socket 1366! I guess that makes socket 775 obsolete in the not too distant future!

Russ

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Corsair is spot on with components and rebates. :) Never a problem with either. ;) As a matter of fact the rebates from Corsair have been the quickest and easiest. :D

.....gm

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Robert,

please, don't run screws through your mobo or NB/SB chip

you will run the screws into the spaces between the fins on the heatsinks. make sure the screws are not too long. you only want the screws to stick through the fan about 1/4". 3/8" at most. just long enough to secure the fan to the heatsink.

that appears to be a good fan but I'm disappointed that it does not have a small 3 pin connector to fit on a fan header on the mobo. I plugged my chipset fans into fan headers on the mobo (3 pin).

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup my corsair rebates was the fastest back also.. no problems

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i hear ya Mort. went over to microcenter and talked to a guy there about this and he showed me what to do. does seem pretty simple. i have a couple 4pin(molex) adapters that have the 3 pin on it also if i wanted to use the adapter... but wouldnt it be best to have it running full power? or should the mobo regulate it??

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's entirely up to you rob. mine are already 3 pin so I just plugged them into fan speed controlled fan headers on my mobo. I ordered mine with plastic wire loom around the wires. made things much tidier and attractive. this was done on my P5W DH. I don't need chipset fans on my rampage formula.

I got my Q9450 today. fast, fast, fast shipping by newegg. ordered it last thursday. now if only I can muster up the will power to put it in. probably wait until wednesday.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

It depends on which Ultra you got... lol. I'm with Sammy on this and I'd only trust that Ultra to the simple stock computer. I know it's fairly opinionated but they (Ultra) aren't known for super psu's. ;)

Here's some options for you to look at.. I only included MODULAR psu's because of the cabling you'll need and the space available. Do you have a FULL tower case?? If NOT then get one if you're gonna run all those goodies in there. :D I have the CM RC-690 (a little bigger than a standard mid-tower) and the Cooler Master 850W Pro fills it up... lol. :D

701-800

801-900

901-1000

I also agree with Sammy about NOT needing anything larger than 1000W!!! Are you gonna run an EXTREME cpu, QUAD SLi, and all the peripherals as well???? IT's something to consider!!!! I don't know what you're gonna do with that computer but I'm guessing you WON'T need more than 1000W anytime soon. :D

...gm

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i think the Chassanator got a package today also......lol pretty cheesy huh??????lmao so serious OCing going to be going on soon.

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i might go TRI-SLI when Nehalem comes out but thats all....plus a mobo + cpu swapof course...
    i think mine is considered a mid-tower case...
    its a Cooler Master Mystique 632s casing...:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119129&Tpk=mystique

thanks,
    im1992

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    No! The Enzotech comes with push pins. All you do is choose the right mounting template and install it with the provided push pins. Very simple! It comes with the mount for a 40mm fan. Using the Antek I linked you to, makes for dead silence. You can't hear it at all thanks to the very low rpms! Very good fan!

Russ

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Tri-SLi is SUCH a waste of money. I mean, it's horrible. Do you REALLY have that much money? To TRI sli HIGH END cards? If you plan on using medium level cards you would probably be better off SLIing(or Xfire) two better cards.

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

TRI-SLI when Nehalem comes out will be pretty good....cause thats still almost a year from now (for desktops)
    i know Nehalem comes out in Q4 08 but thats only for servers...
    Xfire? never heard of that b4 except the lil chatting thingy...
    thanks,
    -im1992

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I meant CROSSfire for ATI cards.

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Spammer92 - we don't even use power supplies that powerful in huge multi-domain, multi-cpu multi-everything-else Enterprise class servers at work; i'll bet if there were 5000W PSU's you'd want one of those (notice i didn't say 'need') :)

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My previous reply was somehow mistakenly inserted prior to im1992 and greensman's last reply (yet i posted in reponse to both those replies) - i'm guessing there's a timezone glitch or something. I've asked the Admins to have a look into why posts are being added in the wrong order...

This reply is also in the wrong place!, there's something wrong with the database methinks...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

oh ok lol
    since i use Xfire (the chatting thingy), i got confused
    sry about that,
    -im1992

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Spammer92,
    "Found" this after they sent me the add. lol.

OCZ OCZ1000PXS PROXSTREAM 1000W

I don't know if it's modular or not.. didn't look sorry. ;) It's your 1000W psu for NOT much money but you're gonna have to wait for the $80 MIR.... be sure if you do this to send the rebate in ASAP with all the i's dotted and the t's crossed!!! :D

.....gm

edit: found it cheaper on the EGG.... lol. Changed the link and found out it's NOT modular!!!! NOT to bad looking tho... good thing I don't need a new BIG psu... :D