1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're not worse/the same, they're about 5% better, which is what we were told to expect. we got it, so I'm not arguing!

2. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Anyway, going to go a bit off topic (especially as this is the only thread I use in this forum)

I'm going Uni in September and am stuck between building a PC (as it's something I love doing and really want a decent rig) and buying a laptop. If I go for a laptop I want the Asus A6JA which has everything I will need as it's a fairly high spec machine and will handle games etc. well.

Does anybody have any sujestions as to what I should do, overall I'm looking at spending about £1100 on a computer for uni.

(if you feel this is really inapropriate thread please link me to somewhere I can re-post it and I'll edit this to something back on topic)

3. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.aria.co.uk - Custom PC build - for a little more than your budget (£1250) I've built an absolutely stunning PC with them, due for delivery later this week. A Laptop will get you 1/3 to 1/2 of the performance of a similarly priced desktop.

5. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

I know all about selfbuilding/modding, been doing it since I had my first PII 333mhz system, that side of the knowledge is cool.
    The problem is just the choosing between the two, I've had so many sujestions I still can't pick. If I do a PC I can't take it round campus (duh) but I can OC it and have a loverly entertainment system as that's what I'd build. The laptop on the otherhand has roaming ability and gaming ability (probably better at gaming than my current PC) and so both have plus sides.

I have a list of parts I would want to buy if I was creating a custom build PC, each part checked up and fully thought about (although may not go for water cooling as I've seen little gain over air cooling - including noise reduction).

Getting a laptop also means I have a lot more space in the car when moving my stuff aroun betwen home and uni compared to having a custom build pc in the car.

Too many plus sides and negatives on both :(

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can take it round campus, it just isn't as easy LOL. Put it this way, wherever you go at uni, there'll be computers, and in a lecture hall I draw and write, so a laptop isn't any good to me really unless it's a tablet (£££££).

7. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

I was thinking that I would use it in lectures to type up, but I'd probably get fed up with doing that and write anyways, also what I hadn't paid full attention to is I get full 24/7 access over the uni PCs so can use one whenever and wherever. One thing which is a major issue for me though is I prefer to have all my work on my own computer, and don't like doing work on other machines. So using the laptop would make this irrelivant but getting a pc would pull this issue up, having said that the uni PCs I will have access to are mean to be powerfull ones...so I should be alright as my issue is mostly just that I don't like using a PC that's a huge amount worse than my pc.

Looks like I have lots to think on still.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Uni PCs aren't bad, they won't game but they're rarely slow. JUst take a USB pen round with you and you're fine!

9. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

*Gets out a pen and some paper/opens a blank excel document...*

Time for a shopping list.

That site you linked to Sam, thanks, the prices there are really nice prices even with VAT (which makes a change from most places I look).

It looks like I am getting swayed by the power of the PC :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol yeah go for it. Any more questions ask me!

11. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Ok, so I'm looking at doing either an AM2 build or a 939 the shopping list is here - http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/2060/pc32vq.jpg

I've heard good things about overclocking both chips, but which will most likely reach FX-62 speeds on that Zalman cooler?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  12. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

InvGIR, if you go with the 939 setup are you planning on running a crossfire setup at a later date & will you be overclocking ? ...
    If your not going crossfire & are going to o.c then i have have to recomend the DFI EXPERT mobo as it is without doubt the best 939 o.c'ing mobo around.
    I have a Opteron 165 & the DFI Expert & currently it's running @ 2970mhz 24/7 stable http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=103036 i have run the same 165 on an Asus A8n-SLI deluxe & it would max out at 2707mhz but wasn't 24/7 stable, also your psu will need to be of a higher wattage, this is a very good psu http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=256337 as is this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=228615 .... one other thing don't bother with the rip off thermal comound remover just go to the chemist and buy a £1.50 bottle of rubbing alcohol it works just as well & cost less for more :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

939 is a better and more familiar OC platform usually.

14. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

*wets pants*

2.9Ghz out of a 1.8Ghz chip I take my hat off to thee :p

I don't plan on going Crossfire, the only reason for the crossfireboard is that it's running with the ATi card and the chipset for ATi. The AM2 has the nForce5 chipset and so I put a 7900GT with it to match up. :)
    Thar be logic in my systems...a little bit anyways.
    What's the difference between the 'LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR' and the 'LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert' ? other than price, the UT - Expert one costs anything from £5 (and up) more than the other one.

I'd like to stay with Nvidia as this 6200TD has been damn good to me over the past couple years. :) If I get a 7900GT (any make) do you think it's sensible to get an aftermarket cooler as I plan on OCing that too, aswell as trying to reduce the noise that some of the stock coolers create.

My only gripe with those PSUs is that one isn't modular, and the other has an 80mm fan in it. I'm after as little noise as possible in the case, and everybody knows of the noise from 80mm fans.

As for the thermal remover...I normaly use dry cotton buds on my Athlon 64 and it doesn't do it any harm.

15. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

The difference between the 2 mobo's is in the 4 phase power regulator, software control SLI switch, Magnetic-levitate fan on chipset heatsink & the pcb layout.
    The 4 phase power reg makes a big difference as it provides a more stable flow of volts for the cpu & chipset which results in a more stable o.c operation .
    It really doesn't matter which chipset you use with which vga, with the psu's the Hiper is what i use @ the moment & is very quiet & as for the Seasonic you really can't get much better than one of those, they produce shed loads of stable volts & amps are extremly efficent are whisper quiet & come with a cable tidy kit.
    You really shouldn't use cotton buds to remove thermal compound with, you need to use a lint free cloth but in the absence of that a coffee filter is just as good ...

16. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well for my new build I won't use the cotton buds, but they do work well on my current one :D

Urmmm, which mobo has which? :p I'm guessing the Expert has the 4phase as it's more expensive?

Also just so I have a better idea for OCing properly...what settings need to be changed to achive a large but stable OC on the Opti?

Cheers.

InvG

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello all...On the power supplies which 1 did U use [ATX or SFX],I assume ATX is propably what to use because of the watts.I'm new to all this.But if I'm going to put a Computer together,might just as well buy the right stuff frm the get-go
    Also read amps are important

Went to SeaSonic these were the 1st units that popped up

SS-400HT Active PFC 400W V S2FC Active (PF =99%)ATX12V v2.0
    SS-500HT Active PFC 500W V S2FC Active (PF =99%)ATX12V v2.0
    SS-600HT Active PFC 600W V S2FC Active (PF =99%)ATX12V v2.0

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ATX is the common standard, it's less about power, more about compatibility. I've not heard of anything but ATX (and it's buddies) or BTX. My PSU is a Hiper, as is my old one. Both are stable, powerful and quiet. In fact with the system I'm typing from, all I can basically hear are two hard disks - my old external and one internal (the raptor) bar that the fans are almost silent.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Is this a reliable Store to buy from...XPCGEAR
    This is what I've come up with so far
    Asus A8N-VM CSM Dual-Core nVidia GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 Chi... $75.99
    Asus A8N-VM CSM Dual-Core nVidia GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 Chipset 2000MT/s FSB Dual Channel DDR400 Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard w/ Dual On-Board Video, PCI Express x16 ... Audio, SATA2 /RAID, LAN, USB 2.0, Firewire 1394 (Retail) (In Stock Now!) Asus A8N-VM CSM Dual-Core nVidia GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 Chipset 2000MT/s FSB Dual Channel DDR400 Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard w/ Dual On-Board Video, PCI Express x16 ...
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU 2.0GHz Orleans Core, 512KB L2 Cache, 90nm, Socket AM2 CPU Processor, ADA3200CNBOX (Retail with Fan and Heatsink, 3-Year AMD Warranty) (Non-Refundable) (In Stock Now!)
    pad
    In Stock Now!
    New AMD Socket AM2!
    Supports DDR2 Memory!
    pad
    Regular price: $184.99
    Your price: $104.99

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) Dual Channel PC2-5400 DDR2 667MHz CL 4-4-4-12 PC
    Memory RAM: OCZ26671024ELDCGE-K (Lifetime Warranty!) $82.99

Enermax Chakra Mid ATX Computer Case with 25cm Side Panel Air Duct Fan, Front eSATA and USB2.0 and Audio I/O: ECA3052-B (Retail, Black) $69.99
    All I need is a power supply Would really like some input in this area
    as in the past this has always been the source of problems for me

pad Enermax (by Coolergiant) EG495P-VE SFMA V2.0(24P) Noisetaker Series 485W ATX Power Supply ATX 12 Ver 2.0 SATA, PCI-Express Ready Fan Speed Control: EG495P-SFMA24P (20/24 Pin, Retail)
    pad
    SATA Ready!
    pad
    Regular price: $93.99
    Your price: $84.99

pad Enermax (by Coolergiant) EG565P-VE (FMA) All-in-One Series V2.01 (24P) 535W Dual Fan Quiet SATA Ready SLi Ready ATX Power Supply: EG565P-VE FMA (20/24 Pin, Retail)
    pad
    SLi Ready!
    SATA Ready!!
    pad
    $85.99
    Or if somebody might have any better suggestions,I'll definetly listen
    Not real sure on memory..But a very good price

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That looks good to me. 6150 Graphics though?