1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Is it just me or does this seem like an awful lot of discussion involving a $60 heat sink and fan? The differences between the noisiest ones and the quiet ones are not as great as one might think, and in different systems the sound levels scale differently. The CNPS 9500 and 9700 are very decent air coolers whatever some might think of them.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yes she does...
    arg
    well, all i want is for me to not hear the PSU...
    -im1992

lol, right
    to say the least
    -im1992

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what the heck is going on? my post went to the top of the page above what everyone else had posted????

EDIT to get post where it belongs

Originally posted by Sophocles:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is it just me or does this seem like an awful lot of discussion involving a $60 heat sink and fan? The differences between the noisiest ones and the quiet ones are not as great as one might think, and in different systems the sound levels scale differently. The CNPS 9500 and 9700 are very decent air coolers whatever some might think of them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agreed 100%

BTW what does any of this have to do with OC'ing? oh OC'ing the fans on our coolers.....lol

can we have our PC building thread back???

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, the server(s) have been screwing up all day time stamp wise site wide.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ddp
    i just posted over in the if the site has a problem thread. so it looks like someone knows about it....
    ill try and edit the post to get it in the right spot.

6. ddp

admin must be on holidays without telling us as creaky pm'ed them this afternoon with still same problem going on now. if building thread is re-opened, are you all going to be good little boys or do we have to temp ban or worse the individual(s) who is causing problems?

7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol
    what happened to the servers? virus?
    -im1992

8. ddp

your guess is as good as mine. i don't know.

9. im1992

im1992 Regular member

arg
    -im1992

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

we will be on our best behavour. im pretty sure we all would like it back open. im also pretty sure the conflict of intrest have been dealt with by the individuals...

11. ddp

does everybody else agree to the terms. is 10:33pm est.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah sure. I wont be posting much, but I'll try to be on my best behavior when I do.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    Are you also aware that their tests until just recently were all run open breadboard style in a 55F/13C room? I've seen the pictures! Both the temp and their setups! Since those kind of temperatures don't exist in the real world it kind of slants the results a bit, don't you think? Also some testers have taken to testing with thermal devices instead of real CPUs!

I've noticed that some coolers do a better job when the temperature gets higher in a room, some work better at lower temps. The 9500 seems to be that way as it and the AF7-Pro are fairly even when the temps are below 80F, but at 85F the Zalman runs about 4-5C hotter than the AF7-Pro. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have to do with the 9500 being all copper! My guess is that some of the air's heat passing through the case gets absorbed by all that copper, while the aluminum fins on the Arctic doesn't absorb as much so it stays cooler. BTW, I'm not implying that the Arctic is the better cooler, I'm just saying that in the rigs I tested them in, overall the AF7-Pro was the better choice for me! There's so many differences in cases, ventilation, CPUs, memory and video card choice that it's impossible to say. A good examole is The "OxyMoron", my pumped up eMachine with an AMD 64x2 4800+ and 2GB of memory in it, runs 2C above ambient with a Freezer 64 and a single 92mm rear fan! and this is a small mid sized case, not a mini! That tells me that the case has very good airflow characteristics. Just another variable in the hunt for good cooling! LOL!! It's like a battle you're never quite sure that you've won! LOL!!

Russ

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I use a Boley Gauge to check for flatness. It's in milimeters and centimeters. Any imperfection in the flatness looks like a train wreck in the reflection!

Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

nah.... NOT until I start another one... heheehe. :p

...gm

---------------------------------------------------

Thought I would show some of my handy work... the camera work that is.... hehehe. ;P

One lapped cooler.. :) Got some good images out of this.. check it out.

pic #1 <<<< is that a UFO or an air vent?? hehehe.....

pic #2 <<< what year is it??

pic #3 <<<< who's fat hand is that?? :p

pic #4 <<<<< Hello George!!

[​IMG] ^^^^^^^ Is that upside down and backwards?? The next image explains it all.... heheheehee. :p J/K... Roberto de Rojo.....

pic #6

Did this to aid the OC'in process of an E8400 in a buddy's rig... I just hope it helps.... :D

....gm

edited: more than once for links and grammar.... :p

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nice job GM. I know where to send my heatsinks for lapp jobs now :D

ddp,

it would be nice to have the building thread reopened. this thread is catching all the overflow now and is getting away from it's tittle, overclocking.

17. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@GM
    nice lapping job! (you lap really good...somehow that sounds extremely wrong...)
    if you really want to see if its flat...hold it up to a piece of graph paper :)
    -im1992

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm unsubscribing from the Overclocking thread, and I am probably not going to post in the building thread either. If you want my reasoning send me a personal message. I'm not getting myself banned over stuff like this.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

GM
    that there does look nice and shiney id say that might just work..lol

is there a reason for that clear rounded plastic peice on the back side of that cooler?

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

You are correct...different coolers will work differently on different setups....the point is my CPU runs cool (under the 71C limit that intel recommends) so thats good....i will however try to rearange my case fans and see if there are any differences...
    Truth is, even the Intel Stock cooler is not that bad.
    -im1992