1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Spammer and all..

Been doing some research and such.... here's the post I made in the build thread... if any of you have other ideas or suggestions.. they are appreciated. ;)

....gm

2. crowy

crowy Guest

Why isn't anyone using kmeleon?
    Been using it for a few years now and never looked back!!
    Regards,crowy

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

I read your post....but still want to post here cause this is kind of my "hangout place", LOL I really need to get a life!

But anyway....all I can tell you is to switch out the CPU to an old Celeron LGA775 or any old LGA775 CPU that you may have lying around for that matter.....

If indeed it is bent/broken pins in the socket.....well in that case you are screwed cause ASUS doesn't cover any "physical" damage.

When I had to RMA my motherboard, I think I blew the NB (I hadn't even overclocked). Probably bad thermal paste job on their part.

I really think that its the NB(North Bridge) but if you were drunk when you put your CPU in, then that might be it?!

Hope you figure it out and it doesn't turn out to be broken/bent pins in the socket,
    -im1992

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I was fortunate that I was able to remove Firefox 3 from my personal computer. I wasn't as lucky with the other two Intel's or the AMD. By the time things stopped working, it wouldn't uninstall! It had all three royally screwed up! I hate wiping drives and installing new operating systems!

Russ

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wierd. see if this one works - http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/modules.ph...5&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

internet explorer 7 isn't bad, but I prefer the UI of firefox, don't ask me why. However, Firefox 3 gave me all sorts of issues, stick with 2.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Just try kmeleon!!!!!
    Regards,crowy.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The only problem that I had with Firefox 3 resulted from an extension to block Flash popups, when I removed it no more problems. I've been using Firefox 3 since it early beta..

Now an on topic note: A Danish company Danamics has developed a new processor cooler using liquid metal. They claim that it surpasses all air coolers and most water coolers using very little power.

http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=6143

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/18/danamics-debuts-liquid-metal-based-lm10-cpu-cooler/

9. crowy

crowy Guest

Soph,
    How does this work?Liquid metal is liquid(ie:mercury freezes@ -38 degrees or there abouts).So if the liquid metal is @ room temp,how does it cool any better than a water setup?(Assuming that the room temp is above -18?)
    Regards,crowy.
    P.S. Good to see you back buddy,hope all is well with your side of the world.

Russ,I miss the flying saucer!!!

LOL!!Take care Bro.
    One more thing Soph,what is it the Danish have with keeping things cold??Danfoss are also Danish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  10. greensman

greensman Regular member

I did... :p It was ok but you know how folks are... I didn't want to change at the time and I'll give it another try when my patience isn't run so thin with these goofy/faulty computer parts. :D

Soph,
    I saw that posted somewhere else and thought it was here but can't really remember. lol. I read so much here and other places that it all just runs together. This is a turf forum innit?? hehehe. ;P

....gm

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Crowy

The metal used is probably man made because it has to use some sort of ferrous material in order for the magnetic pumps to work. Metals have greater density than water and apparently better heat transference as well. The company that makes it has a website and here's and image from it.

[​IMG]

Thanks, all is well. I'm usually more active in the summer since as an educator I have it off. Last summer I lost my mind. I decided to travel the North West and Pacific North West to do some fly fishing. The trip took six weeks so I wasn't near a lot of technology in the wild.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I know some benchmarks were posted on the last page and the topic sort of shifted, but I'm fishing for reasons/ advice I'm slightly behind the others like Mort with similar setups while at the same clock speed.
    [​IMG]
    Ya think slightly underclocking the memory (My 1066's run about 1020 because of gigabytes locked BIOS cant set memory independent from FSB) could be the issue? Any links I may want to read up on? TIA

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Deadrum33

Your measures will be behind unless you're using the same version of Sisoft. Older versions of Sisoft always renders a slightly higher score than the latest versions.

Get your hands on a copy of Sisoft 2005 and then see how your result compares.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

deadrum,

I have my cpu freq set at 427mhz x 8 (3.42ghz) and my memory is running at 1067.6mhz. I can't remember if you have a P35 or X38 mobo but you should be able to achieve very similiar memory speed with either chipset as long as you are using DDR2 1066 memory or very good (OC'able) DDR2 800.

BTW, I'm using sandra pro business 2007.6.11.40

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Sisoft Sandra 2005 no longer runs as Sisoft stopped supporting it completely. You can wind the date back a couple of years and it may run. Sam had a program that gave the program date info that was prior to Sisoft pulling the plug on 2005, every time you run it. One day it worked and the next day I had to upgrade to 2007!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. REAM

REAM Guest

you have to LOVE corsair.

Very OCable RAM.

i have my C4 PC6400 to 1066 at 555 15 with overvolted my 0.1Vs havent pushed it more, but thats brilliant.

BTw i have seen some corsair 10aniversery RAM PC 5300 which we sold limited, and were cherry picked. most are doing 2.1V 444 12 at 1100+ MHz. thats just simply AMAZING to say the least.

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the response, I am currently using the latest version of free sandra (Sandra Lite) version 2008.5.14.24
    I believe the others are a version behind me LOL! I think that the benches the free versions have arent any different from the pay(I hope) as long as either are updated to newest versions.

For me to run near my 1066 memory with memory locked gigabyte X38 board at its closest (2.4B multi for 333mhz CPU)I have to go to 445 FSB running 3.56Ghz. Instead of pumping more volts and heat I decided to step it down to the place you and I found easy, around 425FSB. I could try running higher FSB with 7x multi but havent totally experimented with that yet.
    Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

sry!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Putting this Q6600/Striker EXtreme back together. Someone asked for graph paper last time on a lap job... well here's some on this ACF7 Pro.. :) I will say this... the initial surface wasn't as flat as the Cooler Master TX2 I did for RedRob.... Kinda surprised me really... especially with the rep the ACF7 Pro has... :D

pic #1

pic #2

pic #3

....gm

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yea, graph paper was my idea... sry for putting you to work!
    EXTREMELY NICE lapping job, this is THE BEST i have seen so far.
    you gonna overclock the q6600, finally?!?!
    -im1992