1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

actaully id agree with russ. OCing was about reaching the speed of the xtreme CPU you couldnt buy, and onyl used to be by a few hunderd Mhz.

BUT if you want to bench or jsut want E-peen, then getting those hard to reach numbers can mean alot. for example, with my E2140, the difference between 2.8 and 3.0GHz, i cant tell, nor in real life, nor in gaming, but still to have 3 over 2.8 makes me feel better, and to have 3.2 over 3 even better as that is a 100% OC from my stock of 1.6 :)

i wont notice the difference, but just having it there, stable, im happy :D

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hmm, I seem to recall somebody (Mort) recommending doing that some time ago. I guess that somebody does know what he's talking about after all. imagine that.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

oh yes, i did get the idea off of mort, and i should have thanked mort... if you find him, please tell him thanks :p :D HAHA

jsut messing with you, thanks very much.

now i can see where asus cut the corners when they deliver £85 boards that you can clock the nutts off. speakign of which the new P5Q PRO seems to be doing nothign short of amazing for its £80 price.

the whole ASUS P5Q Range even the normal P5Q are clockign brillaintly, adn are stable aswell. its very good to see ASUS working well on ALL fronts, not just uberhighend.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Prime95 and the others will stop long before it causes damage to any part of your system, it's very safe that way. They discover errors that are being created by ones system. Prime95 crunches numerical data with each stage have a predicted set of values. If the values are off then it means that your system is producing errors which over a few weeks or months will result in a corrupted system. Each time an error occurs it is being written back to your hard drive, and when too many errors have accumulated down comes everything.

Orhtos is just a GUI for Prime95, but under the hood it is all Prime95. When dual core processors hit the market Orthos' GUI was developed to use two instances of Prime95 to test two cores at once. It was easier for many than setting up two instances of Prime95 at once. Orthos is no longer needed since Prime95 now runs multicores, and Orthos is using older Prime95 code.

There used to be a lot of users that reported errors while using DVD-RB and CCE and many of the causes turned out to be overclocked processors that were creating errors.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They do all seem to be doing well but only the Deluxe and Premium has the 16 phase power design. The rest are all 8 Phase. Still I've had some great 8 phase boards over the years and couple of 3 phase boards that offered reasonable overclock ability.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    If it's the same, why does orthos run so much hotter. The version I have of Prime95 runs both cores, but at a lower percentage of the CPU usage. Temperatures are much lower too! I've had far less stability issues since I went back to using Prime95 and I find it much easier to use to find my CPU's limits. Once the limit was determined, I backed it down from 3.55GHz to 3.525GHz (don't like being so close to the edge)! I've had to up the voltage to 1.49v as reported by Everest and CPUz, as my CPU is slowly dying. Since this is the last time I'll raise the voltage to make it stable, I can see an RMA coming, in the not too distant future for my E6750! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are different tests that you can run with Prime95, try running Short ffts and see how things go.:p

I ran both Orthos and the new version of Prime95 for 10 hours plus 15 or more minutes without a crash. I stopped them myself. Orthos is however a GUI for Prime95.

Russ I use Prime95 too but

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no prob and you're welcome. I'm glad you're reaping from the benefits. it's a no brainer for me anymore after seeing the piss poor job the manufactures do when they apply the oem thermal compound (which is crap too) under the heatsinks.

That's the 1st thing I do whenever I get a new mobo. I don't even wait and see where the temps are at. so it voids the warranty. it's a chance I am willing to take.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Whatever you do when overclocking always be willing to take a chance a lose or you will never learn. "If you want to play with the dogs then you have to stop running with the puppies."

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah replacing the NB thermal paste is one of the first things I do when doing a build. I use AS5 though, cuz I got nothin else lol.

11. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i hope im not getting side tracked but i have a question about thermal paste, since its about cpu cooling, which helps OC i guess :] . like, ive never done it before and im going to build my first pc. and i read that you dont want too little because then not enough heat will transfer, but too much is also bad. but ive never done it before so i dont know the range. how much do you guys put, relatively? like as much as the tip of a pencil eraser?

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

uncooked grain of rice

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Some of us have been discussing just how fatigued they are getting of the discussions evolving almost solely around Asus and Gigabyte boards. Lately I've read more than one comment that reflected a negative view of Foxconn boards. Foxconn has historically stood in the shadows and released mostly low priced boards while supply parts to other board manufacturers. Lately they've been coming out of the shadows with some interesting results, and here is an article on one of those results. I think the board in this article shows promise.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3366

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

- is the reservation I've had about the BlackOps since first reading about it. It does look a very promising board, but perhaps lacks the simplicity of Asus/Gigabyte's current stuff...

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Agreed, however not all of us want simplified. I especially like the included dry ice pot for getting high benchmark score without having to invest in phase change or building a cooling pipe to poor in liquid nitrogen. I wouldn't recommend this board for anyone but a benchmark enthusiast.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    A good part of the reason so much centers around Asus and GigaByte motherboards is the 60% motherboard market share these two companies hold, and the fact that most here, own one brand or the other! I think I'm the only one here that even owns a modern Foxconn motherboard, and I'm very pleased with it. It's only flaw that I could see is that it needed better cooling for the chipset, which the addition of a 50mm fan cured completely. Now instead of a whopping 59C at idle, it runs 21C cooler at 38C! I'm more than happy with the performance of the 64x2 4800+ in it, even without any overclocking!

Not a knock in any way, but here's BioStar setting records in both P-43 and P-45 with motherboards at less than half the cost of the big boys high end stuff, and now Here comes Foxconn with a very high performance, admittedly very high dollar motherboard, challenging the big boys in X48 as well! I just hope both BioStar and Foxconn continue their excellent work, with support and continued development of all this good stuff, as in the end, it will be good for all of us enthusiasts!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

It doesn't get old per se but the mine is better than yours gets annoying to say the least at times. lol. NOT as bad as it used to be, but still, it's there!! :p

Anyway, moving along...

At the time that I purchased my GB P35-DS3P there were only a few suggestions in my price range and from the "reviews" that I had read the ASUS mobos at the time were a bit lacking, reliability IIRC. :( So I went with the GB mobo. :) It's been just fine and w/o jinxing anything I wouldn't trade it for another mobo right now. BUT I am searching out another mobo for my Q6600 (B3 stepping), and it seems that DFI has my attention.... :D

The only ASUS mobos that I would consider are the Rampage Formula or the P5Q Deluxe and I haven't counted them out yet. lol. Especially the P5Q series... You know what's funny is I have a Foxconn and a Biostar mobo and they seem just fine. Of course they are AMD mobos tho. lol. The Foxconn is a 939 socket and the Biostar is an T-series AM2/AM2+ socket mobo. I haven't messed with either one that much because they have single core cpu's in them and there's NO reason to overclock. ROFL!!!! Since both are basically internet beaters and Office work computers I don't see the need to OC.... maybe for fun. :)

btw the Biostar TA780G M2+ (A78GM502 BS) has some nice features and I like it. ;)

.....gm

add:

@Russ.... now you tell me. :p That's a much better deal than what I did with my office computer. ;) All that needs is a couple of ODD's, a HDD, and a fan or two and your off and runnin. :) Good little cpu too!!! :D Just a little better than the on that I stuck in my work computer. :p

That's just plain mean, that is!! :p

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yes

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You quoted all that for a one word answer? lmao spammer by name, spammer by nature! :)