1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

WonderBra
    I was more concerned with the CPU cooling as that's more relevent to the CPU OCing, memory cooling while nice isnt an absolute requirement :)

JSRife
    What procesor is that? The Palo or Tbred? With the Palo, i dont think youll be getting past 1.70Ghz (which is just shy of XP2100). With the Tbred you should be in the 1.8Ghz range which is XP2200 territory

2. WonderBra

WonderBra Guest

I've just got the retail fan that amd sends out with their processors. I want to get something more, but haven't looked for anything yet.

3. erichm

erichm Guest

4. Praetor

Prolly belongs more under cooling but kewl! Good job on the Al-Cu combo :)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's a god fan I've been using for a while now and I do a lot of video encoding and it keeps m chip well below temp specs.

6. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I thought about overclocking just a little bit...Not a whole lot...If I can get it up to 1.70ghz that is fine.....Don't know what processor ....it's an 1800+ Athlon...I got this at Wal-mart for $498, it's a budget PC, so which every one of those processors is the cheapest is probably what I got right?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Usuaully inexpensive computers have OK processors. Where they save money is with integrated gaphics, audio, and inexpensive Memory. Athough it's possible I would say that it's highly unlikely that your system can be overclocked.

8. Praetor

Since AMD is the only ones who make AMD chips, your chip will be of the normal quality as any other AMD chip (i.e., QC is maintained). Thus, the limiting factor (for OCing) from the chip isnt any different than any other AMD chip but rather, as Sophocles mentioned, more likely to be limited to the motherboard. Since it's a Walmart PC i'm guessing you have an ECS board in there -- certainly not an OCers board... you might be able to squeze a bit of OC out of that mobo but i highly doubt it.

9. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Yeah alot of my friends laugh at me for buying a PC from Wal-mart. I think I got a pretty good deal on this thing, bought it over a year and a half ago, and the same $498 Computer they offer now isn't really all that different then the one I have now. The only differences I really see are the newer model comes with a little more memory 256mb standard, which mine came with a 128mb chip, and mine has the 1800+ processor the new deal comes with something around 2200+ processor or something comparable through Intel's Celeron line. I'm guessing the newer budget machine can only take a max memory of 1 gig, and it comes with all Intergrated Video And Audio like mine. The difference is, the Budget computer Wal-mart Sells today is a Compaq, which is the same as HP now, the Compaq sure looks nice though, nice case. My next computer is going to be Hand Built by me, I'm no expert on the matter, but I did put memory in my machine before which is easy as 1-2-3, and have a good understanding of a computer. My Friends tell me to hold off on getting a new computer right now because of the 64bit Processors coming out by AMD, soon Pentium will have 64big Processors and they tell me that would be the time to upgrade...They tell me it's a waste to upgrade to a 32bit system when the 64's are going to be taking over within the next year or so. Might be some truth in that. My friends also tell me, it ends up costing you more money building your own computer, they say quote " You can buy a good Sony Vaio Computer with everything you need for a cheaper price already put together" Would never buy a Sony Computer though, don't like em. Wouldn't you agree buying an already built computer you're not going to get the highest quality guts inside? (Video) (Sound) Cards, Motherboard, and so on... I really like those Computer cases that have the clear sides to them, so you can see everything in your computer. If I'm spending $200-$400 on a video card, I want to see the thing work, I want to see the trophy piece inside. I have alot to learn about computers, I could probably write a book on everything I don't know about them. Been in the Computer game for about 6 years now, and it's cool to keep learning more and more about them. I am a up and coming computer geek, or better yet a computer geek who still has more to learn, if that is possible. The only thing I don't like about it is...You spend all this money on a Kick ass video card, Sound Card, Motherboard, DVD Burner and so on, within a year or so everything you bought and thought was top of the line is now outdated and stuff is out that is 3 times quicker and better...Sad isn't it...Bassically you cannot keep up with it, unless you got the money to do it.

10. erichm

erichm Guest

Your freind couldn't be more wrong about building your own computer. You have to really dig deep and understand exaclty what is in these computers you buy off of the shelf.

The motherboard is most likely crap, with no overclocking options, no sata, it will be missing a lot of features.

The ram will be no name ram really cheap stuff.

My dad went and bought a brand new dell from cosco for 2400 dollars. When I found out about this I marched him right back to return it.

I built him a watercooled rig inside of the new coolermaster wavemaster case. Using swiftech blocks and radiator and a enhiem 320gph pump. We put an abit ic7-max 3 with a p4 2.8 ghz processor. 1 gig of corsair ram (pc3200@2,2,2,5). a 200 gig sata hardrive and a 9800 pro. I gave him my old 19" monitor and he was ready to go.

The total cost came to about 1800 dollars with shipping and tax.

11. Praetor

The key thing is you think you got a good deal -- imagine the deal Walmart got. One can get a decent XP2500/A78V8X-X/Ti4400/80GB/512MB system for $350 and that system will quite easily toast anything coming out of Walmart.

Integrated video is a bad thing and in most cases, integrated audio is bad too (the only exception is the nForce2's Soundstorm).

Either your friends are rich, snotty, uninformed or talking purely theoretically about stuff ... they are (kinda) wrong. True, 64bit systems will probably be the thing for 2005 -- but thats only for people who have a use for it. I see all these friggen AMD fans who play games all day long touting that their chips support 64bit stuff -- they dont use nor know what 64bit apps are available! 64bit stuff for the most part will be pretty much for the insanely rich or those who have specific uses for a desktop 64bit platform (i.e., video compositing, mathematica etc). Your friends are right in saying "wait" but for the wrong reasons -- when the 64bit chips "get here", there will hopefully be a drop in prices for thr 32bit chips -- thats a good reason to wait.

Forget what I said in the above paragraph about your friends.... the words rich and ignorant come to mind now hehe. As erichm said -- they couldnt be more wrong -- if they were right, how the hell does Sony make money off these systems?

w00t! Booo sony :p

Depends on what you buy and from whom -- there are good OEM systems but usually for a pretty penny. And as for the clear windows ... god unless you are absolutely nutz of the windows -- make sure you have decent parts to back up the "bling bling" factor hehe.... cant tell you how many times my dumbass leet friends have a bling-bling case with a GF4MX or a 9200SE inside.

Shouldnt come as a surprise -- just like everything else in life.

HOWEVER, this thread was opened for the sole purpose of dealing with stories and help for OVERCLOCKING -- not system and parts selection/critiques -- there are threads established for those. So let's stay on topic.

12. erichm

erichm Guest

Praetor is absolutly right about the 64 bit applications. I know a guy that went out and paid
    750 bucks for the 3200 as soon as it came out.

He still hasn't used the processor (he doesn't have
    the money to buy other parts) and the price has plumeted. Even when he does get it working my mobile
    2500 is going to whoop it at 2.7 ghz.

I am not saying that they are bad chips, but when you buy it for the sole purpose of 64 bit you are really being sucked into their marketing strategy.

13. Praetor

You got a 900Mhz OC from that chip?

14. erichm

erichm Guest

Yes

-6 degrees full load with vapochill pe.

I can even push it further if I wanted.
    I just got the chip and the vapochill and
    I want to make sure I have zero condensation
    before going further. So far so good though.

By the way. If you are looking for a vapochill
    I got mine off ebay for 500 bucks in perfect condition
    I see them there all the time.

15. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Member

I hope you guys can help me with a self inflicted wound. I just tried to overclock my Athlon xp 2500+ (barton). I set the fsb at 180 to give a clock speed of 2Ghz and increased the cpu voltage from 1.65 to 1.7. when i saved and exited cmos my pc rebooted but my monitor will not come on. When i turn it on manually it just says 'no input signal or cable disconnected'. Is this at all familiar to anyone? Extremely grateful for any help.
    My setup is thus:
    AOpen ak79d-400vn nforce ultra 400 mb
    Athlon xp 2500+
    Cooler Master cpu fan
    512mb kingmax pc3500 ddr sdram
    Samsung 52x52x32 cdrw
    160gb maxtor ata 133
    geforce fx 5600 graphics
    generic 430W psu
    generic case
    Tiny plug and play 17" monitor

16. XxHaXx

XxHaXx Guest

Poor Praetor, always trying to keep things nice and clean and on topic, and look what's happening! lol Anyway, I'll get things back on OCing. I have quite an intersting motherboard, MSI K8T Neo I believe, and the thing I like the most is that you can overclock within windows. It's an app called "core" center, and you can adjuct voltages, and the FSB. I have a AMD 64 3000+ chip. I've got a nice, loud, volcano 12 heatsink and fan for cooling. Now for the part I don't understand. When I overclock with the corecenter app, I'm able to get 230 FSB, and the default is 200. So I beef up from 2 GHz to 2.3 GHz. (I test it out by playing a demanding game for awhile, if nothing freezes, I assume it's good.) I don't like OCing this way because everytime you reboot, the settings aren't saved, and the FSB returns to 200. So, I go into the BIOS and see what I can do. In the BIOS they are several choices for performance, there's "general" which would increase everything by 5%, etc. etc. with different titles and different percentages. I'm assuming EVERYTHING is increased, because even when I change the slightest percent, my system hangs. This would not make sense, as my processor can clearly handle more. Maybe the ram can't handle it? ideas?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't used the board, perhaps Praetor can provide you with better information, but I have looked at the board because I was considering going to a 64 bit AMD system. I think MSI's Dynamic overclocking technology will only allow overclocking to a maximum of 7%. Perhaps that's why they included the Corecenter Technology to compensate for what can't be done in your Cmos. There are other software overclocking applications but I would stick with Corecenter because it (was made by MSI for the board) also monitors your voltage and I seem to recall that it shifts the voltage and clock when it needs to for the protection of your system.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  18. Praetor

SOunds like you've deviated a tad too far from the AGP 66Mhz spec. :)

Much appreciated :D

Hmmm perhaps with that windows-technique it also adjusts the voltages to keep things stable? You might want to look intot hat ... and what do you mean by "hangs"

I figured as much.....interesting thing about these "non-cmos" OC techniques.... why on earth would they do that? LOL, what about people running Linux?

19. KnightOTC

KnightOTC Member

Hi...i'm new to this thread...i've never really used any forums so excuse me if i make any dumb mistakes. I came across this thread a few days ago. I read through it and decided i would join in. I've working with computers for awhile and found this place while looking for info on OCing. I don't have the nicest computer but i've tried with my limited funds. To me there is no better choice than to build your own computer...i've been there and seen crap computers from gateway, dell, compaq, hp, and so on. I guess only PC builder i still have respect for (besides some small time shops) is Alienware. I just got my Radeon 9200 which was a step up from my Nvidia Geforce 256 DDR 32mb. hehe...i couldn't really afford anything...i had planned on a 9600pro since it was a good price but now after seeing the 9500pro and how you can change a few things to make it a 9700pro i might get one of those next or just let technology pass me by for a few years lol. I felt really dumb after i realized that i should have ordered 2 sticks of memory for the dual channel memory setup...but nope i ordered one. Recently i've been able to get my clock speed up a little more since the room my computer is in is a little cooler with the addition of ac unit in the window lol. Best i can get to is 2056mhz on my 2500xp. I tried adding a little voltage at a time and still everytime i tried to run a game it would blue screen. I have the 400 memory running at 100% so i know it's not heating the memory up any. I also have my agp bus locked at 66. I just figured that i would be able to go higher when i bought it. I don't have the multiplier unlocked but i plan on doing it sometime. I have a Gigabyte 3D PC Cooler that is huge. It did drop my temp quite a bit from the stock AMD heatsink/fan.

20. Praetor

That wont be happening (i dont think at least), because they've stopped selling the Radeon9500.

Not bad. I would think the limitation would be more from your mobo rather than your chip.

How do you know this? Overheating memory is a common cause of BSODs.