1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm cheaper than you are!

I wouldn't even go to Lowe's and buy some screws!

2. spamual

spamual Guest

my Vcore is at 1.4, PLL at 1.5, NBV at 1.4 FBST at 1.3 GTL GPU ref at .61x and GLT NB ref at .61x changing any of these lower causes instabilites.

i have taken it from 1.6 to 3.4, and am happy with the OC, but not he heat.

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

the whole point of overclocking is to save money!
    lapping it and killing it in the process would be bad, very bad

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude, people dont kill their CPUs by lapping them.

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yea, but why take the risk?

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

His temps are high.

Why did you lap yours?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Firstly, it was my own choice.... no one told me to do it.
    Secondly,I have had experience in the past giving advice about overclocking / lapping, ppl killing their hardware, and then blaming it on me....
    So, i took a policy decision to give ppl advice which had very little chances of failure.
    I am not trying to prove you wrong or get into an argument with you. This is just my thinking.
    -im1992

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol People blame you for that?

I thought it was understood that overclocking is at your own risk lol. Alright then.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Honestly the best thing I think to do is lower your OC to about 3.0 and then lower your voltages and see where you stand for Prime95. I think a 100% OC is incredible but I have an E6850 and I've only pushed it about 20%. LOL. Yeah I know NOT much of an OC but I'm a little conservative when it comes to pumping the vcore to my cpu. :p

If you haven't already lapped the cooler you might consider that. It could save you 2C-5C if done properly. :)

good luck with your decisions... :D

....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, not really the point though Gm, the maximum potential speed of all the dual cores is actually pretty similar, it's 3.2-3.4 ish for the lower end E6300/6400,4300/4400/21xx chips, and it's 3.6-3.8 ish for the higher end E6000s, maybe 3.8-4.0 from the E8000s and possibly the 6850 too.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I hear ya Sammy but he seemed worried about the heat and the only way to do away with heat is a better heatsink or lower the vcore from what I know. ;) Of course proper air flow and a "cool" case is assumed here!! :p The performance increase from 3.0 to 3.4 (or so) isn't that much and it would be a good starting place to see if you can alleviate some of the heat "issue". ;) The way I see it at least. :)

....gm

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    I agree with both GM and Sam. I had an E4300, which is about the same as your E2140. I also ran into the same temperature limits you are finding, at almost the exact same speed. I had it at 3.384GHz but I eventually had to lower the speed to 3.2GHz. Everything is the same, but the 9x multiplier! Same cores, fsb and stepping, but minus 1MB of L2 Cache as well. I could boot it at 3.4GHz and run benchmarks on it but my temps were way too high. The cores were running very high as well!

You've obviously gotten very good "Allendale" cores, but I would turn it down to 3.2 and maybe even 3.0GHz and see if those temperatures come down. Besides 3.2GHz with an 8x multiplier is perfect! Your memory will run at 800MHz and you fsb will be at 1600MHz. You really can't expect more than that out of an Allendale. Some of the oldest E4300s would do a 100% OC, (3.6gHz) but only the oldest ones ever accomplished that feat! If your temps are good at 3,2GHz, then you should be good, and very thankful for the luck in getting an outstanding CPU!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. spamual

spamual Guest

i really dont want to lower my Oc, i OC to get the highest OC :D

the E84/5/6 are getting 4+ easily, withthe E8600 with its brand new E0 stepping getting to 4.5-5Ghz on air

tbh those temps are only while priming, so im fine as it is for everyday/gaming use.

i have the FBS to 415 FBS and set my FBS:RAM ratio to 5:6,so its runnign at 996at C5 2.1V, this is the black dragon 2x2GB geil C5 PC6400

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Usually an overclock has to be lowered a bit anyway. It might pass Prime95, but I doubt very much that it will do Folding at Home and complete the work units. You also may experience problems when encoding with DVDRB/CCE, or a very high compression with DVD Shrink. I had one the other day, just for the hell of it that said 41% compression. They actually mean that it has to be compressed 59%. First and only time I ever saw 55-56C, while encoding!

Temperatures are just as much a part of an overclock as any other factor. It doesn't have to crash to be bad! High temps are a problem that needs to be addressed. Most lower price CPUs in the same family are made from cores that didn't pass at the next highest speed. You were very lucky to get two such good cores considering that! They may have run out of the lower value cores and had to use something better, who knows!

You won't lose very much performance wise, as the difference between 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz with that chip doesn't amount to that much because of the smaller 1MB L2 Cache anyway, so why risk a real good overclocking chip to run it when you know it's just too hot! Sure, you can get another CPU if you burn that one up, but the likelihood of getting another one like you have now would be very low! If I had your CPU, I would consider water cooling for it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. spamual

spamual Guest

good points, id love to dable in w/c but thats going to be my nehalem build, which should be when the next gen of nvidia and ati cards are out, i doubt the labaree will be out by then from intel.

i do not fold, nor do i encode. i watch some high def films, usuiall .mkv files, and mostly play games, (atm grid and cod4) and in cod4, online every frame helps :D

i guess ill try to lower voltages a tad, mayeb a reseat of my P5K-E NB once again, but this time with TX-2 or OCZ freeze instead of MX-2.

if only the P5K-E as good as it is for OCing, had more options to select within the voltage options, as in the NB voltages increments go up by a massive 0.15v, ideally id like 0.02V increaces for that, as is on the newer P5Q-PRO and the GA-EP45-DS3R. might upgrade to one of those actaully. now to choose which one, they are priced similar in the UK.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    I've found Arctic Silver Ceramique works very well with chipsets. I do like the MX-2 better for CPUs. How's you MB or NB temps?

One other thing I forgot before! At 1.6GHz your CPU draws 65 watts. At a 100% OC, it draws considerably more. That's why I suggested the possibility of water cooling so you can stay at that high an overclock with much lower temps with that sweetheart of a chip you have!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. spamual

spamual Guest

MB temps never go over 40C

i dont have NB temps.

i hear you, but i have been running this chip like this for 3 months now, just the summer has pushed the temps higher.

i just cant justidty setting up a W/c kit right now, when i have uni next month, yes i could get it now, and when nehalem comes just swap out the CPU block, but money restricts me now. and atm i have a crappy akasa ZEN, so it wont fit any thing, when i get an antec 1200, or Lian Li PCA77 i will.

atm i have only seen a preview of one nehlam mobo, the ASUS P6T, but i hope GB will have a good mobo out next year for OCing, becuase i have ASUS now, with my P5K-E, and want to try out gigebyte

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    My choice right now would be this for a GigaByte MB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336
    If I had the money right now I would seriously consider an open box from Newegg for $159! I know they always say that you only get the MB, but everytime I've bought one, it's always had all the goodies in the box!

Eventually I plan on putting a Q9450 in my present P35-DS3R, and down the road replacing that MB with the one I linked. It's too early to tell much yet from early reviews, as it had some minor teething problems, just like most new chipsets have, but they were fast to get the F7 bios out which seems to have cured the problems!

In early reviews there was some disappointment that they couldn't crack a 500MHz fsb, but more recent reviews show it doing around 540MHz with the new F7 bios.

Russ

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's what I'm hoping for on the DFI mobo that is coming today!! :D We'll see and then go from there. :) (for those that don't know I bought a DFI LP LT X48-T2R [open box])

....gm

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that is not the first time I have heard of that flaw/inconvenience with the P5Q-K. that is rather disappointing considering most upper end asus mobo's have much more than adequate voltage setting increments and overall settings. that is one of the main reasons I always recommend dowloading the manual and thoroughly reading it before buying any particular mobo.

my rampage formula for example, the NB voltage increments are .02v and there are more than adequate voltage increments for other voltage settings as well. the most I have ever seen on any mobo I have used.

I for one prefer this to gigabyte as they only give you (or used to anyway) a choice of percentage increase in voltages, unless they have changed rescently.