1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't realise who you were at first, spamual - lmao, that's cold...

My chip may be higher clocked to start with (1.8 vs 1.6) and lower clocked in the end (3.2 vs 3.4) but using a 120-A, my load temps are low 40s with 1000rpm fans, and high 40s with 600rpm settings, hardly an issue.

You know what's odd about cooling? The HD4870 (top slot) caused my chipset and CPU to reach 50C, when they usually rarely breaks 42, and the air temp up there was 38. The 4870X2, despite putting out twice as much heat, it's in the bottom slot, and the CPU and nb temps are completely back to normal - if anything, it being down there has done me a favour!

At 3.35Ghz which I tested, my mobo still gives the chip the exact same 1.408V so I think that might be the limit, I will need to up the voltage manually to get that speed stable. Academic though, since for the moment 3.35 is all it will allow. I'm hoping the Q6600 will solve that, if not, new BIOS, and if not that, then I'm not sure. Oh well, early days yet, I need to pay off these cards!

2. spamual

spamual Guest

from the X48s im taking a very nice liking to the ASUS Rampage formula for DDR2 and the foxconn blackops for DDR3.

Russ, im from the UK, and therefore i cannot get those loely newegg deals :(

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They are two very tasty looking boards, no doubt about that.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

I read about the Foxconn Blackops as well and it may be a little to much for me. lol. As well as the DFI I just got.... hehehe. :p

SAmmy you is slow... I could tell from the first post... good luck btw. :)

Oh and MOrty... ASuS stinks.... hehehe. :p

Nah... j/k... good mobos just steer clear of the nVidia chipped ones. IMO they do STINK!! :p

So spamuel you gonna reduce that OC a bit on the Intel 21XX series chip?? I can't think of anything better than MORE cooling to overcome your "tiny" issue. good luck buddy....

.....gm

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah "Spamual" are you going to reduce your overclock there buddy?

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

I doubt it... NO reason really if it runs fine with normal stress. ;) It's still a nice OC if you ask me. :)

Yeh you do... just admit it.... :p

...gm

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Only on weekends!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

110% overclock is immense, I'm not surprised if it's getting a bit warm in there, besides, you're using a Zen with low speed fans aren't you? I'm amazed it doesn't overheat, to be honest.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spamual (account created on 21 Aug, 2008) has used same IP address as shaffaaf (banned on 21 Aug, 2008)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, figured. Is he allowed to stay?

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as he obeys all the forum rules including certain comments that includes certain country & others then yes.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. I hope so. Don't wish to stick up for someone that breaks the rules, but I could well be making IRL friends with Shaffaaf, so you know, it'd be a shame to see him leave the site for good. However, I know and he knows what he said was foolish. OK, say no more about it.

Based on my 4870X2 results after restart, I want a new CPU! lol
    How do the Q9450 and Q6600 compare games-wise at the same speed?

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

wait....why didn't i hear about shaffaf leaving / being banned?
    what did he do?
    -im1992

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Read the above in red. ;)

Got my DFI mobo tonite and hopefully sometime this weekend I'll be doing some OC'in on that Q6600... :D

....gm

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol, sorry
    i will shut up now
    -im1992

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I know you directed this at spamual, but both of you are dead wrong! Just because the errors that occur folding or encoding don't matter because he doesn't do those things, doesn't mean it's stable. Those errors are still occuring, they just aren't affecting what he's presently doing with the computer! That means it's not 100% stable!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stable, in my mind is it not crashing. 100% Stable in my mind, is no errors in anything. As far as I know or care, my machine only needs to be Stable. :p

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thats where the problem comes in....
    lets say its is just stable....and 4 months down the road, you are writing up a report, when, BAM your computer crashes....that would be bad, very bad
    this is why 100% stability is the way to go, you will get less speed but at least you are safe.
    -im1992

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    My point exactly. If I hadn't been lucky enough that Sophocles let me know my Folding wasn't completing the Work Units, I would still be trying to figure out why every once in a while the computer would just reset, just like you reached down and pressed the reset button. Once I was able to eliminate the errors and the WUs would complete, I never had a problem again! In my opinion, folding is the best test of stability that there is! Just let it fold in the background for a couple of days and if all the WUs are complete, It's stable, and pretty much bulletproof!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. I'm no overclocker (plus i do Seti@home instead of Folding) but WU's are a very good stress test; it's satisfying seeing 4 concurrent WU's being chomped thru (100% stably) by my Quad core. (keeps the room warm too!)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008