1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha, no GM I don't want to buy your Q6600. All my Q6600s have done fine with 3.6Ghz on air, so yeah. :)

I think the cap out on air for the Q6600 B3s was 3.2Ghz. So with a TRUE you're only looking at a extra 200mhz. You've done well on a B3. 3Ghz Quad core is plenty powerful though. Have fun doing what you do.

I personally don't do crap on my computers. SO it doesn't benefits me either way lol.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still wouldn't say no to a 3.2Ghz Q6600! lmao Then again, doesn't the B3 get hotter than the G0 at the same speed?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

YES!! and it doesn't OC as well. ;) Like I said with better cooling and air flow I think that I could get 3.2, maybe even 3.3, but there's NO way I'm going any higher with this setup. lol. ;) I don't care what anyone says the ACF7 Pro does NOT cool nearly as well as the TRU!!! I may get another TRU or TRUE later but a Q6600 running at about 2.8GHz is plenty good. hehehe. :D

...gm

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Methinks my 49C @ 2700rpm / 40dB versus 43C @ 1000rpm / 22dB confirms that... :p

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

You lost me there Maynard!!! :p Do I need to go to your "profile" to see what you're going on about or are you speaking in hypothetical terms again??? hehehe. ;P Of course you could be talking about some testing you did a while back and if you mentioned it... I've slept since then.... ;)

oh and btw... the Royal British Post hasn't shown up yet... dang they're slow!!!! :p Kinda dreading it really.... cause I'm gonna do a fresh install of XP when it gets here. lol. :D

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, that's a bit crap... I'll have to ring em up and find out where it is at some point.
    As for the numbers, I was listing the temperatures I got with the freezer 7 Pro versus the Ultra-120A, accompanied by the fan speeds required and subsequent noise level.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH!!! Well your testing temperature wise should be about spot on. lol. ;) NOW your testing method with sound is a bit "archaic" hehehe. ;P I actually bought the ACF7 Pro with all the "good" reviews and it's a bit disappointing really. NOT a bad cooler at all but I guess I'm a bit spoiled using 2 different TRU models and getting such good temps. ;) I may have to install a CM-TX2 onto the AMD and move the TRU-90 to the Q6600 and see what happens. :) Whatchu think there Sammy???? :D

.....gm

edit: fixed cooler blunder.... ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, I'm going by the recorded SPL of the freezer 7 Pro and the Nexus 120mm fan I use on my Ultra-120 as recorded by SilentPCReview.

The Freezer 7 Pro is a good 90mm cooler, but for a B3 Quad core, you need a Tower cooler if you want it overclocked, no more can be said on the matter. The Ultra-90 may fare a little better than the F7P, but not much, you should really look at an Ultra-120, IFX-14, NH-U12 or Ninja for that CPU.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

agreed.... <<< don't you hate that?? lol.

I've looked at the IFX-14 and I have the Ultra-120, so either one of those would do nicely but I'm still NOT against just running the thing at 2.8GHz for a while. ;) Of course creaky runs his bone stock and loves it so I'm sure I could live with mine at 2.8GHz.. :p

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could do that... if you wanted. Lmao

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

dang right!!!! just like i told my wife... I'll do as I dang well please!!! Well if that's ok with you??? hehehe. All us men are the same... :p

....gm

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And that was just accepted? :O

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed i do; plus i have too many machines to bother with o/clocking anyways :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I don't know what sammy thinks, but that would be some slip job, as you can't put an AF7-Pro on an AMD! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Didn't think anyone would notice that... hehehe. Almost got it buy you lot. :p

I've got another cpu heatsink I can try on the AMD only if I can find the 775 socket hardware for the Ultra-90.... ;)

In all honestly it's only for bragging rights. lol. NOT like I can TRU-ly keep up with these guys anyway. ;)

....gm

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol With what guys?

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

you for one.. Mr. stick it at 3.4GHz and see what she'll do... hehehe. :p I'm to "conservative" by nature to do that and I'm also to poor to toast a cpu trying to Out Clock someone else. lol. Just not my style. :p

.....gm

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I have an old Celeron and Core 2 duo at 1.5Ghz right now :p

Got my new build components boxed up still. This one is going to leave me in a few days anyway.

19. spamual

spamual Guest

if it was me, id go stright in at 3.6, and try to squeezy every mhz out of it :D

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The guy wanted to see if I could OC it to 3.4Ghz. I said I would try. It's got 8GB of RAM lol.