1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. pressed

pressed Regular member

Tom's hardware did it with liquid nitrogen cooling and a custom copper pipe on a copper base attached the to the cpu. 5.225 ghz is what they reached.

2. charb

charb Member

thanks alot s3a for your input. but if i overclock it wont it compensate for the lower cache?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would hold off on buying any cpu's right now. With the launch of intels conroe due in about a week, you can expect some big time price cuts from both intel and amd. Intel is even expected to move the pentium class cpu's [bold]"to a level not previously addressed by this brand." [/bold]. http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/19/intel_to_launch_quad_core_in_q4_2006/

4. pressed

pressed Regular member

yea with intel's becoming bad ass again, I might just go back to them after i've been an amd fanboy for the past 6 years.

5. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

My point on the 5Ghz mark is that without some major cooling (and wasting f money really) it'll be hard for s3a to clock his P4 to that, especialy with air or watercooling.

s3a to be perfectly honest you'd do better to save up some money and buy a new system as most of your parts are getting out of date which is why they won't be able to handle newer games too well.

I'm getting this problem with my system (in sig) and so am going to be building a Conroe system in mid September with mid-high range gear to have a system that can play current games easily and will be able to play future games aswell as loads of demanding multitasking and CPU/RAM intensive programs.

6. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Pressed i think it would be cheaper to buy an up to date outfit it would be cheaper than the liquid nitrogen

7. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"s3a to be perfectly honest you'd do better to save up some money and buy a new system as most of your parts are getting out of date which is why they won't be able to handle newer games too well.

I'm getting this problem with my system (in sig) and so am going to be building a Conroe system in mid September with mid-high range gear to have a system that can play current games easily and will be able to play future games aswell as loads of demanding multitasking and CPU/RAM intensive programs."
    _____
    I can always add more RAM...I can overclock my CPU a bit....and as for gfx cards...I don't mind playing next-gen games on current-gen gfx...for the moment (until my gfx card is completely obsolete)
    ______
    If you always catch deals like my 3.0 Ghz CPU which was on sale because it was losing popularity bcuz of new cpu's...can PC's cost less than buying, say a 360 (and the system after that...and maybe ever after that one)? (in the long run of course)

8. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

I was wondering if anyone knows how to oc a ecs board(848pa)with a sata hard drive cant lock agp/pci bus its not in the bios Ive got the latest bios but its like a year old, and I tryed to drop the ram speed from 400 to 266 but no luck

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That board may not support bus speed locking then. Being an ECS board, I wouldn't be surprised.

10. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

no way to overclock then

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes you can still OC the CPU (well, the bus speed) but not without taking the AGP and PCI bus speeds up with it, which limits how far you can go before encountering stability problems.

12. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

if i oc the dmi pool says boot failure until I take it back to 200

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What are you trying instead of 200 then?

14. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

205 210 220 202 201 203 ect

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

what RAM are you using?

16. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

corsair ddr 400 1gig

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hmm, may be a problem with your board then. I personally wouldn't attempt an overclock on an ECS board.

18. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

i overclock fine with my old ata hd but that sata and ecs no go

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It may be that your Serial ATA controller doesn't function at higher than stock speed then.All I can say is either try a new board, or get a PCI card with Serial ATA on it.

20. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

no limits to a pci sata card