1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We shall see, eh, we shall see.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh, and those who said my BIOS settings would be reset when I flashed the BIOS? I'm still at 3.15Ghz, and I haven't even been into the BIOS since the flash...

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Lots of good information for Gigabyte owners at TweakTown, I had to use them looking for clues when I couldnt OC with my SATA burners attached.

Whoa, even Sam likes, you'd think I've uncovered buried treasure or something LOL :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hmm, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. every mobo I've had, even my old gigabyte, reset everything in the bios to default settings when I flashed the bios.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I was expecting it to...

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mine didn't. It kept the overclock.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good, I'm not the only one then... :)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    By not clearing the bios, the information you see in thee bios may not be reliable! I found that to be the case with my MB when someone had done things wrong in the bios when it was mis-delivered. I re-flashed it to F11, cleared the bios by removing the battery and had no problems after that!

abuzar1 and sammorris,
    Would you guys mind not using the thread for chat. Half the time I don't know who the hell you are talking too! It's maddening to have to look back and try to figure what the hell you are talking about. Other posts get in between and that aggravates the problem. At least address the post to someone! It will avoid confusion for everyone else! Thanks Guys!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha, alrighty then.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have never seen a bios keep user settings made within the bios after an upgrade. The whole purpose of flashing a bios is that it is first wiped before it is flashed and the flashed version is always set to default. If you have the same settings after flashing then you're using the same bios you had before flashing, or you are overclocking inside of windows using software that came with your board. In that case the settings would be reset each time windows boots up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm DEFINITELY not using the same BIOS or overclocking from Windows.

I checked in CPU-Z and it went from F1 to F5. Also all my problems were solved. So the BIOS def. changed.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm open minded. Show me an example somewhere where a bios does not revert to default after being flashed. Remember that your old bios is being completely deleted, erased, removed in total, and that the new one contains none of your settings nad it completely replaces the old bios. Now in the old days when overclocking was done by physically setting jumpers on the motherboard retaining previous settings made sense since flashing the bios can't move pins. Now what is the make and model of your board again?

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I cant show you an example and I honestly don't care enough to search. In the spirit of laziness, you're right :)

I had a GA-EP35-DS3L.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT to take any sides but I used the @BIOS thingy. lol. Flashed my P35-DS3P with F9 I think (sorry it's setting "cold" right now with the DFI/Q6600 running) and all my settings went back to "default". Just my experience anyway. ;)

....gm

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    It's not that it keeps the settings, it's the range of the settings at issue here. They apparently don't report accurately! The settings are there as you flashed them, which apparently changes the scale of the current settings. All I know is I Flashed it, Pulled the battery for 5 minutes or so, as instructed by the tech Rep at Gigabyte, and when I restored all my old settings in the setup, it worked perfectly. Everything was set exactly as it had been before the problem, and it still works perfect to this day, except for when I decided to flash the bios back to F10, because that was what was recommended for the E6750. As soon as I flashed it back to F11 it ran perfect again!

Personally, I've never seen that before either, but apparently the rep knew what he was talking about, as it worked! I honestly thought I was wasting my time and was going to need another MB! The settings were correct, but inaccurate until I cleared the bios!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'll just have to take our word for it, I'm not really about to record a video proving this fact.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't even have it anymore!

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

Bios settings are complete erased during the flash. It would be the same as recording completely different music over a cassette. Now if you overclocked using the motherboard software which most of them come with then could windows could reset everything. Since I've never used a software overclock on anything but a graphics card I can't say for certain. This is a quote from "Biosman Inc."

http://www.biosman.com/faq.html

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sophy I think both of those highlighted in red are worth mentioning. NOT that these people aren't seeing a "change" but is the BIOS complete? Anyway my take on things. ;)

...gm

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Either way, this doesn't change the fact, I have never even installed a software overclocking util, and I have successfully flashed my BIOS, and it kept my overclock settings. Whether it should or not is a different matter, but this is what happened.