1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes I should have quoted that too. The new bios is completely changed hence the purpose of not only erasing it but writing over it with "0's." When we used to erase a cassette before recording over it we were in effect doing the same thing we were realigning the particle polarity on the tape to represent North and South. This is called hysteresis. The benefit of doing that is to insure that none of the previous recording remains. If the bios didn't get completely reflashed and returned to default the results could and probably would be catastrophic for a motherboard which is why the added precaution of writing zeros. To salvage the board would require attempts at recovery, having the bios chip reflashed by a service, or replacing the chip altogether but that unfortunately often costs more than the board is worth.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

hey guys. is there anyway i can adjust the chip set voltages on a p35-ds3l? my overclock for my q9550 has been limited to 8.5x400 and no amount of cpu voltage will get me above that. so i am guessing that i would need more north bridge voltage to get the higher fsb.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

krj15489,

I think what you are looking for is the MCH (Memory Controller Hub) aka NB voltage.

also FYI, ICH stands for I/O Controller Hub aka SB voltage.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

krj15489

What's the make and model of your memory modules. Memory is probably one of the most common predictors of an inability to move things forward.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

KRJ, which BIOS are you using? Get the latest one, it helps a lot.

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

@mort thanks i will take another look through the bios for that

@soph i am using gskill 2x2 ddr2 1000. i am running it at 800 at the moment and i am sure that it is not the limiting factor here

@abuzar i am currently using the F7 bios. do you think it would help at all upgrading to F8?

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It probably would. Especially because you have a Q9 CPU.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

krj,

I looked at the manual for your mobo. looks like there is a setting for MCHv but not for ICHv. you really shouldn't need a setting for ICH anyway. maybe some adjustment to the FSBTv which I can't remember if it has that setting or not but surely does.

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i just did a little tweaking with the MCH and i had to add .3 volts in order to boot windows at 3.5. i am worried that it might be to much voltage. is there any way to measure the temps for it? also what is FSBTv?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

.3v is a pretty big increase. not positive but the default NBv is probably around 1.25v and that would take it to around 1.55v. a little high for my liking. 1.50v is about as high as I'm willing to go. mine is at 1.38v and my NB temp is 40c. my mobo temp is 33c. ambient is 76f.

you need to ask a gigabyte owner. I don't know if GB reports NB temp. you can try everest. FSBT = Front Side Buss Termination voltage.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow thanks for that, I never knew what ICH and MCH stood for... :)

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

krj15489

I'm hearing a lot of good suggestions, however it would helpful be if you would tell us the make, size, and model of your memory modules.

An earlier suggestion that you flash your bios made will only help when trying to make a new piece of hardware compatible, however beware that it will reset all of your adjustments to default 100% of the time.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Soph,

he posted this earlier.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Don't be saying things like that! Often times certain bios versions work better than others with certain chips. Change for changes sake when it comes to the bios, is not always the wisest choice!

My MB came with the F7 bios installed, and ran fine. I happend to look one day and the recommended bios for an E6750 was listed as f10. F10 gave me problems where F7 did not. F11, which I'm using now also works fine. It's not always the smartest move to upgrade to the latest bios. My rule of thumb is if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Sophocles,
    I don't understand the bios flash thing either, but clearing the bios and redoing the settings made all the difference in the world. The problem seemed to be a big difference between what was set and what was reported in CPUZ, Everest and Sandra. It seemed like the scale was off! I just flat don't know! Sufice to say it's working fine, now!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Clearing the bios is a great way of resolving many issues, especially a failed overclock. The bios is like a simple operating system written in machine language that allows it to communicate with the motherboard, all its parts, and installed hardware. It's stored on an Eprom chip that is non volatile which means that it is permanent as long as it's not forced to change. When you flash the bios it does a couple of things, the first is that it goes through a checksum to make certain that you are going to flash it with a correct update version and it also gives you the option to backup the version that you are replacing. Then while there is an active version still functioning in memory it completely erases the previous version. It then runs runs a zeros through it to be certain that nothing is left from the previous version, and then it installs the updated version which has no idea what your setting were. It is as though you had just purchased the motherboard and this was the default bios that came with it, but there is no way that it can save any previous information without that information being stored in windows regardless of what you hear.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's how I would have thought the process worked too. However, I even chose 'power off' at the end of the flash and powered the PC up off the power switch, rather than rebooting it, yet it came up straight at 3.15Ghz...

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sam

I'm not refuting your experience as you've described it, but I am refuting your outcome. There could have been a variable that supports your version if we knew what that was that is nonetheless incorrect. I don't see any reason to doubt you, but I do believe that your analysis is perhaps unintentionally flawed.

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

meaning what exactly?

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That it's possible to believe that one is right even when one is unintentionally wrong?

Is that the basis of your question?

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member