1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

So what kind of cooling do you have right now? A Zalman what? What's your case like? How are your fans situated? It's difficult to recommend a cooler when we know so little. Sorry if you've posted before about it but I can't remember and going thru more than a couple of pages is to much work for me. lol. :p

....gm

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

overclock them...
    i do sell stuff on ebay but i really like the e6700
    these are some CPUs that I have collected (not being used) over the years and I dont wanna sell off:
    AMD Duron 750MHz (x1)
    Intel Celeron 1100MHz (x2)
    AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (x1)
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Northwood (x3)
    Intel Celeron 380 (x1)
    Intel Pentium 4 2GHz Northwood (x1)
    Intel Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott (x1)
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott (x1)
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 (came out of a laptop that I upgraded to a T7200) (x1)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (x1) - overclocks to 3.1GHz on 1.15v and a CNPS9500
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (x1) - never overclocked it!

but yea, as you can see, i dont have too many "newer" CPUs laying around

i did kill an e6400 when it first came out (~Aug of 2006)
    i put wayyyy tooo much voltage into that sukka

to finally answer ur question, i am doing NOTHING with them HEHE

-im1992

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

well if you decide to sell the E6700 or the Q6700 lemme know. ;) PM's are fine. :D

baltekmi when you get the chance let us know so we can assist you better. ;)

...gm

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EDIT

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Q8200 will still cost more than the Q6600, so why not just use that instead? Not only will it probably be faster to start with, it will also probably overclock better.

Baltekmi: Thermalright Ultra-120. Works for me! lmao

Oh, and no, I can't take that face seriously... :p

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

how about you stop posting crap just for the sake of it. Pass the time in some other way. It's bad enough we have to keep seeing that 'expression' on your face on your sig pic without having comments that match the expression.

@baltekmi - this may be the o/clock thread but you haven't specified if you're actually o/clocking. I'm no overclocker but i do use the very good Zalman 9700, on lowest speed unless it's summer, and on medium speed in summer (this is in an Antec 900 btw), all other fans on lowest. At idle the temp can be as low as 31C, under full load it never breaks past 50C.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With my Q6600 at 3.15Ghz, my CPU temps are very similar to Creaky's. Idle temp is between 28 and 31, load temps are in the lowest 50s for normal counts of load, nudging 60 during a burn test, CPU fan at 1000rpm, so probably a similar speed to low on the 9700, and case fans at 1000rpm, similar to the low speed for the fans in the 900, from my recollection of owning one. IIRC the fans on the 900 ran at 1050rpm low, 1600rpm Medium and 2200rpm High for the 120s, and 450/650/850 for the 200mm.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

OK

P.S. I don't just post crap. I would like to think I have helped plenty of people out at these forums.

9. spamual

spamual Guest

creaky, unless you were joking that was very rude, and not nice to see from a mod. you could have PMed him if you felt so stongly

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I use dry humour heavily around here, and let's not forget i am very soft when it comes to moderating. I don't think it was rude, it just annoys myself and other regulars (regularly) when 3 of you young un's (abuzar, you and im1992) forget yourselves sometimes and post crap for the sake of it. It's not fair on the wider audience, ie lurkers and visitors, nor is it fair on the regular (including us older) posters. I could indeed do more stuff by PM, but on a site like this there is so much unnecessary crap that's posted regularly, it gets real old real quick (don't forget i'm talking about more than just this one single thread, ie the entire site).
    Maybe it's because i grew up before the internet & forums, but i don't believe in posting for the sake of it. I'm a strong believer in the saying "If there's nothing worth posting, don't post".

Anyways, it gets quite annoying having my comments critised, especially when it's by young people who don't seem to respect others. It also gets quite annoying having to justify my comments. There wouldn't even need to be moderators if everyone respected the site and other people.

Now (pretty please) can we get the thread back on track ?? so i don't have to keep posting as a mod and/or justifying those comments...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like to think we've all been helpful here, but I also know we post unnecessary messages. On the one hand, that makes it a more pleasant casual environment, but on the other hand, it does make it a bit of a haystack to pick through for decent information.

On a more on-topic note, which voltages should I adjust to make 3.4Ghz out of my Q6600 stable? (Or close to it). I see CPU Vcore and MCH voltage, anything else?

12. spamual

spamual Guest

CPU Vcore to about 1.45, NBV to about 1.4, and FBST to 1.4, and CPU PLL to 1.6

that should work sam.

creaky, imsorry if it was a joke, just there were to smilies :D

i agree i post alot of crap, but its always for fun, i mean check out the video card thread(s) (x1950) and you'll see we do post, but its all in fun.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.6? What is that set to by default? It's been a while since I've seen a voltage that high...

14. spamual

spamual Guest

should be about 1.5 normally.

actually try 1.5, maybe that should be fine

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I will have a look in a bit, going out tonight.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Whether or not you agree with how creaky made his point, the substance of his point is right on the money. This thread has become filled with empty pointless posts that serves no purpose beyond common chat. Creaky isn't the first person to point this out, but perhaps he will be the one that will end it. If it had been Praetor instead of Creaky making this point some of you would no longer be posting in this thread at all. Creaky is at least giving some of you a warning.

Safety Valve exists just for those types of posts that have choked this thread with drivel so why not move your chats to there?

17. spamual

spamual Guest

my posts on this thread have mostly, if not all, been rleated to OCing.

sam, for me to keep my E2140 at 3.4, i need 1.6 on the PLL. has been liek this for over 4 months, no problems, im just sure the quads would need more.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, 2.6? I never realised you could even go that high...

19. spamual

spamual Guest

sam you must be mistaken, who said 2.6?

;)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol. Lrn2type plx...

Anyway, post tidy-up I shall look into these settings and hopefully bump my CPU speed up a bit.