1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i do have the F9 bios now. and it is running fine right now at 3.7ghz all settings are in auto though.. i guess thats good if i can get it that high with auto settings. i havent had the time to really read the manual and see if it says anyhting in it towards OC'ing which i doubt it will. heck i might just have to call a tech at gigabyte and se if they can help me with it.. doubt that would happen too.. but i have to try something

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

there is a good chance that the auto settings overvolt things quite a bit. for example on auto my NB voltage is 1.62v. that's too high and will cause the NB to run hot. probably why so many ppl with rampage formula mobo's complain about high NB temps.

the rated voltage for the X48 chipset is 1.25v. auto was overvolting it .37v which is a lot, especially if running at stock. I have my Q9450 running at 3.55ghz and only had to increase the NBv to 1.38v which is a far cry from 1.62v and only an increase of .13v compared to .37v on auto.

you should be able to determine what the voltages actually are somewhere in the bios. you can find this under hardware monitor for asus mobos, but I'm not sure where to find the actual voltages in the bios of a gigabyte mobo. sorry, I'm not familiar with them.

everest should also report the actual voltages.

3. spamual

spamual Guest

rampage exteme has been hitting over 600FBS with an E8600, thats bloody mental.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahem, voltage... :)

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes, there is that difference between a REALISTIC overclock and a idiot overclock(or benching overclock, whichever you prefer).

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My highest benching overclock is a miserable 390FSB... Oh well, the system is more than fast enough anyway... :)

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! whos this new guy????? comeing from the guy that says take it straight to 400mhz from the get go...lmao.. just playing boozer...

Mort
    this board has a hardware monitor. i messed with it a bit. its not in the bios but its a software program that came with the mobo disc.

i know i sound stupid here but you all have to remember this is still my first build. and alot of settings in this board i havent ever seen before. and im sure alot of them are the same as the other board i have just worded differently.

whats funny when i put my vcore in manual and raised it to 1.30v it showed 1.24v in cpu-z,everest ect. but in auto it shows my vcore as 1.28 and its the same for 3.0 stock or the 3.7ghz its at now. and ive had it at 3.4-3.5-3.6ghz and the same 1.28v on all OC's i havent tried 3.8 in auto guess i should try and see.

i still havent figured out the mem adjustment. i have to work all weekend so i cant mess with it much but come monday morning i will open it up get into the bios and goto the mem settings and takesome pics and post so you all can see what im seeing(better not laugh either)

CPU PLL. what is that? ive read alot about this E8400 that people have taken the PLL up +.1 ?????

8. spamual

spamual Guest

thats aws also on stock cooling (with 6 multi) and stock voltages

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's exactly Right rob. Auto applies a much higher setting than the VID in most cases. For both my E4300 and Q6600 (both 1.325V) it was 1.450V, thanks to vdroop, everest reported that as 1.408V.

10. spamual

spamual Guest

i think my highest when dropping the multi to 6 was about 480 (that was with all other voltages to auto)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why would you do that though, other than for proof of concept that the board can do high FSBs?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

390, ouch. have you tried to OC using only 2 x 1gb sticks of ram yet? my guess, that's your downfall. I'm running my Q9450 at 444 fsb for everday use. it will go higher fairly easily but I'm very comfortable where it's at. granted the stock fsb is higher than your Q6600 and I'm only running 2 x 1gb sticks PC8500.

I'm yet to use an app that uses up all my ram. I would opt for higher OC than unnecessary ram. jm2c.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, as the high RAM is a lifesaver for some games (which is why I own the quad core in the first place)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no need or reason to lower the cpu multiplier now with P35/45, X38/48 chipsets and their choices of different fsb straps.

15. spamual

spamual Guest

just to se how high mine woud go, its allways good to knwo the limit.

i think my next CPU is the E8600. they are hitting 4.5 under air (some edging towards 5) im hoping for a straight 5 with my new w/c

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

if you want to maintain 4gb of ram, looks like your next investment should be 2 x 2gb sticks of ram. sell you 4 x 1gb sticks on ebay.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, good luck to you, but I'd be very surprised if you can pass proper stability tests much above 4.5 on that CPU, even with watercooling. There's only so far I'd be willing to take the voltage with a 45nm chip.

18. spamual

spamual Guest

well priming for about 8 hours seems good to me,a nd its about 1.35-1.37 volts. on the Vcore.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Potentially. Given the price of memory nowadays I'm not expecting much from them though. I will certainly leave it until my loan comes in, around 5 weeks time, and consider what I could spend on upgrades versus what actually needs spending... :)

1.37Vcore for nearly 5Ghz? IntelBurnTest it (when you do it, or google some results), I'm curious.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Mort.
    in my bios now i have like 4 different settings for the FSB Straps and when i go into set the mem multi it has like

2.0a
    2.0b
    2.0c
    2.0d

2.4a
    2.4b
    2.4c
    2.4d

al the way up to 4.0

a=200
    b=266
    c=333
    d=400

i think thats how it is. just remembering right now.