1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry could you rephrase that?

2. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

a pci sata card should nave no problems ocing

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't have thought so. You wouldn't be the only one to have difficulty with integrated S-ATA controllers, and S-ATA cards can be quite cheap. I'd try it, and see how it goes.

4. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

is a asus board the way to go

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty much, they are regarded as one of the best motherboard manufacturers.

6. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

core 2 dou and asus board for me p4 for my moma thanx for the help

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're welcome, enjoy your core2!

8. pressed

pressed Regular member

I went with ASUS cuz i knew they are the best

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

edited

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah they pretty much are, don't rely on them for tech support, but they are very good so you shouldn't need tech support!

11. s3a

s3a Guest

who cares bout tech support!? if ur an afterdawnian, u dont got to worry bout that! All you need is warranty...

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

From my experience with asus tech support, they were far better than average. Great products to boot.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then you're one of the lucky ones mort, well done! I agree with you on principle, s3a, but you still need to organise a return via warranty should you ever need one!

14. s3a

s3a Guest

I am just curious to know how much can I overclock my Intel 630? (while keeping it stable)(read my sig for more information)

P.S.
    I don't see myself overclocking anything at any time soon but its good to know things in advance!

P.S. #2
    When you overclock a Dual-Core CPU, is it true that it acts as a single core but with a higher clock speed? (I just made this up as a theory in my dream, isnt that funny?)

P.S. #3
    You know Dolphin? The gamecube emulator that actually works! Well...I have Star Fox Assault for gamecube and and it works at 1.something files per second!! In the requirements it says find the fastest CPU possible and have 256 MB RAM and a gfx card which mine is better than the required one(s)...well, my cpu (3 Ghz) is working at its hardest and I get approx. 1.5 fps! So...to get 30 fps, I would need a 60 Ghz CPU???!!! There must be a way to code it for less "requiring"!! (not that that has anything to do with what I am asking, really)

P.S. #4
    What exactly do CPU's accomplish in games? AI, and enough power to "support" the graphics card etc? Is that all?

P.S. #5 (off-topic question)
    Is it technically possible for the ASUS P5GDC DELUXE mo-bo to get a bios upgrade allowing it to use ddr and ddr2 ram simultaneously? (because now it's one or the other)

P.S. #6
    Is it possible to overclock my 400 Mhz RAM to say 533 Mhz? (not that I want to...yet)

P.S. #7
    If I overclock my future graphic card (ATI SAPHIRE RADEON X1600 PRO, 256 MB) to its maximum stable capacity, will I see a noticeable difference in performance?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1. You could OC it quite a bit, with the right adjustments, good cooling, memory and power.
    2. No.
    3. Look for a different graphics plug-in.
    4. AI, Physics, layout, telling the graphics card which textures to process, probably more than those.
    5. no because DDR RAM is 184-pin, DDR2 RAM is 240-pin, they won't fit unless you have both slots. If the board has both slots, it should be ready to start with (but NEVER mix them)
    6. Possibly, depends what sort of RAM it is.
    7. Probably not, GPU OCs are very slight compared to CPUs.

16. s3a

s3a Guest

Read my sig for specs...how much can I overclock my 630? 4 Ghz? 4.5 Ghz? Can I lower clock it to 2.8 Ghz? By the way, I went in the bios and I took a quick look and I can't change the frequency!! Is it because it is OEM! As stupid as it sounds, I read somewhere here on AD that you can't play with OEM CPU's clock speeds!!!!!! Or is this all because my look was too quick?

P.S.
    I thought the CPU was getting less and less important because Gfx cards have GPU's which I thought was for not using the CPU! Am I getting it wrong somehow?!

P.S.#2
    No!!!!! I went as far as having dreams of having 6 GB of RAM in my comp!!! Are you 100% sure, I can't use DDR and DDR2 RAM simultaneously in the future? If not, then this mo-bo is a waste of money! I paid to get DDR2, for nothing!

P.S. #3
    How long will my system last (minimum requirements for future games) in terms of RAM if I have 4 GB DDR 400 Mhz Ram (PC3200)? 10 years?

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I haven't looked up the specs on your mobo but an asus delux board should allow you to adjust the frequency. If not you can't OC unless it will allow you to lock the AGP/PCI and then OC by percentages eg 5%, 10%, 20% etc. There should be a place to change it to manual then you increase or decrease the frequency using the + and - keys on your keyboard. You could probably OC to around 3.4 - 3.6 ghz. You may have to loosen up your memory timings. It might also require a good aftermarket cpu h/s & fan. Anything over 2 gb of ram is pretty much overkill.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

630s aren't the best for overclocking, so with the absolute best motherboard power supply and memory you might be looing at, ooh I dunno, 3.8? You can play with OEM CPus, it's OEM MOTHERBOARDS such as the ones that come with premade PCs that stop you modifying frequencies.

PS1: Yep! GPUS only process graphics, they may eventually process physics but not much so yet, the CPU is left to process both categories of physics (the first type is what you can walk over - stopping you walking through walls and falling through floors, and the second type is processing what images to produce if something gets blown up - i.e. if you shoot a barrel of toxic acid - it will make a fiery explosion, if you shoot a non-toxic barrel, it may just fall over). Not only physics but also the Artificial intelligence of all your enemies, and the orchestration of what graphics to produce when they appear, the GPU just renders that. The CPU still does a lot.

PS2: You can't use DDR1 & DDR2 at the same time, I'm sorry. The only way of getting more than 4GB of RAM at present is to either get a server (LOL) or to use 2GB memory modules - rare and expensive things!

PS3: All depends on what you're to do, if you expect to be able to play games at reasonable resolutions, between 3 and 5 years, depending on what your tolerance is, but that's 3-5 years from the conception of the technology. The X600 was conceived in 2004 as a midrange card, and that P4 performance level could be achieved in 2003, so a lot of that is already up.

I agree with Mort on the RAM, at the moment that's not something that's going to need changing any time soon. Once Vista comes along, 4GB and shortly 8GB of RAM will be needed, but not until.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest