1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. I try to be a bit more open-minded about what OTHERS see on the forum, certainly with regard to bad language and stuff like that.

2. spamual

spamual Guest

Russ, the 4.2GHz E8600 was on the thread i posted above.

the 4GHz E8600 was with the screenie posted below :D

(someone needs his eyes checked xD)

and obviously i am not saying to post hearsay, but when people post in other forums, they normally give benches/screenies/etc. hell we if dont do this, how are we going to recomend newer tech? wait till one of us gets an X58 of one brand and one model, and ONYL suggest that till people get more?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

I think you missed the point Shaaf. ;) It wasn't that we couldn't or shouldn't post some other hardware that we don't have... it was to announce that we didn't own said product and do what you just did. POST something that shows what it is and what it does. ;)

Don't be so defensive. :) I like it when posters give some sort of link to show other products. :D That's part of the reason that I bought the DFI. :D

.gm

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think anyone intends to be dishonest when they recommend a product they don't own, but by not revealing it that person is also being glib. The problem with posting stuff from other sites is that you have to accept their claims as true through a leap of faith. More experienced builders usually develop a built in baloney meter and can decide if a post is likely to true or pumped up, but an inexperienced builder can easily get caught up in the "wow factor." I'm constantly reviewing new products looking for something really good or exceptional, but until I've used it I rarely suggest it without revealing that I don't own it (unfortunately for my wife I often do own it. LOL). When people come to a thread such as this for their research they're not looking for a dozen conflicting recommendations to be confused by, they're looking for what one of us is using. All that we have to do is strut a bit, and be honest about our systems stability.

Hey green

Take at look at this product, and it's for sale just send me a PM.;P

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't want that island!! To many inhabitants... hehehehe. :p

Seriously I did read some reviews of the DFI and I wanted something different because of the "recommendation" factor and NOT wanting what everyone else had. :p Honestly it would have been ASUS, DFI or MSI. Gigabyte's name is just to long.... ROFL!!

Thanks for all your reports on the ASUS P45, almost bought that beauty. :D

....gm

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

+
    Hmm! What Island? It's the bridge that's for sale.;D

I purchased the board because I thought that it would suit my needs without breaking the bank. I also figured that a 16 phase power design would add stability for later on when I jump on a quad core as the prices go down. I'm looking for shear encode power. DFI makes a decent board but one has to be careful using it, because it is one of those boards that will allow user settings to the point meltdown.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well I don't want the bridge either. :p

Just read a few forums and the ASUS website about 16-phase power and I'm still not sure what it does. lol. :D

...gm

btw PM sent to you Sophy!!! I have some swamp land up in Alaska and need to get rid of it since the US isn't going to drill up there!!! Cheap, cheap, cheap!!! ;)

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It stabilizes power by providing a steadier supply and distributes heat across multiple regulators. This is got to be good when going to quad core.

If you would like to know more about a lesser power phase design then ask Russ about his old 3 phase Gigabyte board. LOL

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

still cant get it stable at 4.0ghz. but ihavent been able to do much to it since yesterday when i was posting. gonna play with it some more. take the MCH up a tad and vcore try and get it closer to the 1.365v, but i think i will have to be close to 1.50v in MIT to acheive that.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is there no loadline calibration for your board?

11. spamual

spamual Guest

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very impressive. A Far cry from 5Ghz though. Call me stubborn, but I still don't think that's a sustainable speed. Even so, the near £200 E8600 at that 4.4Ghz speed is at most going to be 50-60% faster than the E4300 I had, far short of the 120% gains I've had with my Q6600 which cost two thirds of the price, for all the mediocrity it presented in overclocking.

13. spamual

spamual Guest

but under water 5GHz is achievable.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why are you so sure? I'd like to see some hard evidence of that. Prior to the arrival of the E8600, anything above 4Ghz was rare or unsustainable, 5Ghz is a vast leap from that, considering how blindingly easy it is to get any old chip to 3Ghz, even one that started at 1.6...

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

if there is i dont know where it is?????

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In the MIT section for me, at the very bottom...

17. spamual

spamual Guest

im sure if 4.5 is obtainable with air, esp with the week 22 E0 stepping (which i have once reserved for me now, from chilled PC's component seller K-Force) and he has been hitting over 4.5 on a TRUE.

even 4.7 would be nice, but 5 for personal satisfaction :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.47V though, on a 45nm chip, that hurts...

20. spamual

spamual Guest

LOL which mod edited my post eh?

love the pic though :D

sam its mainly the CPU VTT and PLL which kill the 45nms moreso than the Vcore