1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I ran that Linkpak 10 times and it failed on the 9th one :(

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Considering the way it hammers the CPU, I doubt that anybodies would make 9 straight passes without failure. I don't like it as it beats the hell out of the CPU! Solid state devices don't take kindly to that kind of treatment! That's why OCCT brings the power up gently! It's not good for the CPU, or any solid state device to pound it like that!

Just my opinion!

Russ

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Rob

I see that your memory is set to 797 MB. If you have 2 MB installed try it with the default setting for memory.

Russ

It's not all that bad I ran it successfully 10 times with 2 GB of memory. The big question for me is once I get a quad core how well will it run.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah that was a Q6600 at 3.6Ghz and 4GB of ram...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    To me it's just funny that a lot of the Hi Tech stuff I work on go to great lengths to keep from pounding the electronics that way. Memories of the old Hybrid Tube/Transistor car radios comes to mind, as they used to pound the power transistors pretty bad which almost always meant sooner or later that smoke signals would be coming out of the dash! All of the microprocessor circuitry in MRI, Cat Scan and X-ray imaging have pre-heat circuitry to prevent blowing out the electronics, as you can imagine the load! LOL!!

Judging by the performance of all the Quad cores here to date, I would think that any Quad you do will run very well! Time and patience has it's rewards, and you are a patient person!

I'm going to wait and see what happens to the price of the present Quads. Given the prices Intel released a couple of weeks ago for Core i7, I suspect I will be able to get a Q9450 or a Q9550 for under $200 that drops right into my DS3R!

Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I would've thought that memories of your relatively more recent 3 phase gigabyte along with your D940 would've sufficed. LMAO

You did indeed go after 4 GHz! Here that Rob? And with older technology.

Right now some of my stuff is disassembled and waiting for a home. I might have a sale for my E6600 system which should fund me a Quad core and perhaps a a couple of more miscellaneous pieces.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Let me know when you do, I might be interested.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what do ya mean Soph? yes i got it to 4.0ghz it is running nicely right now.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really have a problem with IBT like I do Orthos or OCCT as it doesn't stress your system that hard for long enough to be worth worrying about. It's a very good means of testing if your system is stable in a short period of time.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I've never had a 3 phase GigaByte MB! Both the GA-965P-DS3 R. 1.33 and my current GA-P35-DS3R R. 2.0 have 6 phase power regulation! The P5P800SE had 3 phase!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? I thought the 965P-DS3 was 3 phase...

edit: Looking around it looks like the earlier versions were, but later revisions were 6 phase...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Only the 965p-ds3 revision 1.0 had 3 phase power regulation. All the revisions (2) after that had 6 phase!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ, now you know that you started with an earlier version and that you didn't get to a newer version until after two or three RMA's later (have the posts to back that statement up). Remember that both Donald and I had the same board, and I still have mine (until I sell it with an E6600).

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I never had a GA-965P-DS3 revision 1.0, only the revision 1.33 which had 6 phase power regulation and support for the 1333 fsb! I only RMA'd the GA-P35-DS3R Revision 1 because when it got cold here it would cycle through the post and reset endlessly unless I warmed it up with a hair dryer. The Revision 2.0 I got was messed up by the person they delivered it to, and it took re-flashing the bios to straighten it out. Still runs fine. You have to go to the International site for the 965P-DS3 R. 1.33, as that model was not readily available in the US. The Revision here was 3.33!

Respectfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was just kidding and nothing was meant by it. I was just reflecting back a couple of years ago on an old post.

I'm just sitting by contemplating purchasing yet another processor. What's interesting is that I always find a reason for it, and it always seems legitimate at the time. LOL

I would've purchased the the Q9550 by now but I can't get my mind off of the Q9650's which I hear are all using the new EO Revision (sometimes referred to as stepping).

Abuzar1

I realize that not everyone desires super stability, but when encoding a movie that takes 7 to 12 hours you will learn that in time that genuine stability is better than the frustration of starting over.

I already have a decent offer for it and I'm just waiting for confirmation (money in hand). If I have anything that I have an urge to sell online you guys will be tops on my list.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd probably go with that being a personal scenario. A lot of people would make light of it at first, but when something like that does happen to them and wastes their time, or ruins a particularly good round in an online game etc. they'll never want to have an unstable system again. I like knowing my PC passes a burntest at the settings it runs at, a nice sort of 'peace of mind'...

18. spamual

spamual Guest

ive never needed to encode, and wont be, so for ME, so logn as it played games stable, then for me its stable.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but what if it's stable 99.95% of the time, but once you randomly get a crash after a long gaming session when things are going well? Enough PC-related things go wrong, it's not worth making any more...

20. spamual

spamual Guest

if it goes wrong, then its my bad for not spend more time testing while gaming