1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So you're saying that you want to be crazy? I think that alone is enough to qualify you as crazYYY. LOL

Welcome!

2. spamual

spamual Guest

that train for crazy has arrive all aboard for some overclocking HELL!!

:p

welcome.

enjoy the crazy, and ina month watch me up the crazy tempo :D

3. spamual

spamual Guest

WOOAAA, HUGH SB voltage there. why raise it so much?

IMO keep it to under 1.1Vs and it will be fine.

PLL at 1.6 sounds is what i have, and NB should be around 1.3 for your FSB

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Shaf we have got to set some lingo etiquette. When you you guys go off into discussions that involve informal language I sometimes have a hard time deciphering.

No weren't you about ready to overclock the snot out of an E8600? Say to 4.2-4.5 GHz? Well let's get that show on the road. I've just ordered a Q9650 and as far as I know both the processors are EO stepping which means they ought to hit some really high numbers and stable too.

5. spamual

spamual Guest

oo aaa :p

:( Okay soph, ill use boring adult language (though age wise im an adult, mind wise im still five! haha)

It is a very high SB voltage and unnecessary as the SB does not help very much in the high FSB Ocing department.

My E2140 set at 3.4 (from 1.6) only needs 1.05 on the SB.

E8600 (i have sourced a week 22, best week for Ocing thus far) is projected to arrive with me the week ending 13th October 2008, along with a couple of hundred quid of watercooling equipment.

My case is being modded ready for a 120.3 in the roof, and many other adjustments.

By the end of the week ending the 13th october 2008, i sound have speant near £1300 on this project, and it should last till october of the next year, untill i7, where the inner components, but not watercooling/case will be replaced.

As soon as i set it all up, i will clock the nuts off of the E8600, 5GHz here i come :D

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Screw the case mods and work on cooling the processor directly with better than air cooling. Best bang for the buck is water! Although one does need to keep an eye on the faucet. LOL

A lot of good money can be spent on driving a lot of unneeded air.

7. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Maybe I am crazy ;), but then again aren't we all in our own way :p

Just wondering if it is possible to o/c a notebook CPU, say a P8400.

It's not that I want to do it now, but maybe in the future......

PS - Good luck with the 5Ghz, let's see if you'll be able to stay at 5

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I would not, repeat would not attempt to OC a notebook. Even the newest ones still get very warm after less than an hour's use! We might be "Crazy" around here, but we're not that crazy! If you take one apart and see the great and sometimes exotic lengths the manufacturers go through in the heat sink department, you will fully understand why I'm advising against it! There's just no way to provide the additional airflow you would need to cool it properly!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Alright thanks,
    I wasn't planning on doing it, I was just wondering if it was possible.

PS- When I called you guys crazy, I meant as in AWESOME not mental, I was complementing you people :p

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Some of this bunch are AWESOME, but a good lot of them are just plain CRAZY! Mental CRAZY! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Soph, I'm pretty sure he means a 120mmx3 fans radiator for water cooling.

Ray, according to Russ(theonejrs) I am mentally crazy. Or at least I used to be when I started overclocks with unstable high clocks.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Different kind of crazy! ROFLMAO!! That's not Mental crazy! When the squirrels start attacking you, you know that you are only nuts! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes he does, a 120.3 radiator. On the electronmigration front, what sort of temperatures do you need for an E8600 to survive at 1.5V for more than a year? That's the sort of voltage I'm expecting to be necessary to run at 5Ghz and be stable in games, if not more.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You have to consider that the problem is not heat, although it will run hotter at 1.5v! It all boils down to the electronic pathways ability to contain the electrons. Electro migration can be likened to sand particles scouring a water pipe that continually wear away the pipe. In the case of a CPU, Electrons are what wear out the electronic pathways down to the point of leakage. When you increase the voltage, you increase the overall speed and density of those electrons so more electrons are moving through the pathways! Once leakage starts, the CPU becomes useless! I don't think there's much hope for it to run at 1.5v for a year! Then again, it's got to get to 5GHz first! That may prove to be the toughest challenge! Time will tell! I wish Shaff success.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed not, but to stem the effect of electronmigration you can cool the chip down by a large amount, though in some cases I think that requires subzero cooling, which obviously water on its own can't offer.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You can't really stem the effect of electro migration. You can only retard it a certain degree with sub-freezing temperatures that are well below what can be achieved with conventional refrigeration. I think it would take something like Liquid Nitrogen, which just isn't practical for daily use, and is inherently dangerous! One mistake could cost you your life considering that the boiling point of Liquid Nitrogen is -320.5F

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I thought that too initially, but many seem to suggest the effect is exacerbated by the extra heat generated using typical air cooling, and that WC's lower temps help reduce the effect.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm sure that's true to a degree, but not nearly enough to overcome the problem. The difference between the records for water cooling vs Liquid Nitrogen is extreme, even with Phase Change! I would seriously doubt that the temperatures would be low enough with WC to make that much difference. Heat does excaberate the problem, but it's going to take much more cooling than can be had with WC to make that much of a difference. Even the refrigerated CPU coolers don't lower the temperature near enough to make that much difference. For a practical overclock, it would make a difference, but not at the voltage that would be required to get the CPU to 5.0GHz. I don't thing even dry ice, which boils at -109F/-78.3C would be near cold enough to do the job. It's the main reason Superconductors aren't really practical, except in lab experiments under rigid controlled conditions!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Duly noted, thanks for the scientific insight! :)

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I agree he does indeed mean water cooling, but if he gets a large enough reservoir (which is always better) he would do better make it an external unit. The most effective water cooking that I seen online was with a guy that ran hoses to his swimming pool. I'm all for case modding and any advanced form of cooling, but if push came to shove, very affective cooling can be achieved without a single mod to ones case. The reservoir that comprises my water cooling is way to large to fit into a case so I have it sitting on top of my case. If ones water cooling includes blocks for chipsets and GPU's then other than ones hard drive case cooling becomes pointless.