1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Electromigration will occur naturally in any chip, but you are correct, water cooling slows it considerably, and probably enough for the chip to become obsolete before it finally goes down.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heck now days a chip is obsolete in 6 months...lol

Soph
    your water cool'd and have a AC case. isnt that combined a pretty big setup? i havent given h2o cooling a thought. but thinking of it to have a good h2o setup you need the external type cooling. dont that take up alot of space?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Remember Rob, we're all crazy. LO

The truth is that the air conditioner is probably overkill for most. I live in Tampa, Florida so I added it so that I could lower my home air conditioning bill in the summer. It does that pretty good although sometimes there is condensate coming from under the case.

The physical setup is not that big since the peltier is installed at the front of the case so that the cold side is up and the warm side is down. Along with that I have an additional front intake fan but it fits within the case. My water cooler sits on top of the case which means that my setup is not the best for moving around.

4. spamual

spamual Guest

right seeing as i have never done the a/c before, soph, why s it better to have a bigger reseviour?

cheers russ, i hope i do get to 5, be it only for benching :D ill tone it down for 24/7 use, but still 5 would be nice :D

and it helps im getting an E8600 from the most Overclockable batch thus far.

i may even go phase within 6 months, but let that be a far off fantasy :D

oh yeah soph, i am picking up a P5Q deluxe aswell, does the NB get too hot, or am okay without watercooling it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That along with a pump that can push more than 300 liters per hour will result in better cooling. Some of the smaller tanks work ok, probably about as good a decent air cooler. A larger tank also includes a much larger radiator to keep the liquid cooled. Asetek has a small reservoir unit that uses a cold plate to cool water, and I hear that it is pretty good.

With water cooling you'll be able to use the included chipset fan which does a decent job. It keeps my temps at around 33 to 34C.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

But 5GHz at 1.5v? There I would have some serious doubts about it lasting a year. I see now where he is planning to slow it down some if he even reaches 5GHz, so it probably will last much longer with water cooling.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

s
    Russ

He'll be lucky to get a bench even at 4.5 GHz, but 4.2 Ghz with the right stuff is not out of the question. The E8600's are all EO stepping and are very overclockable with even lower Vcore than previous versions. I've just ordered a Q9650 which is also EO stepping and have been demonstrated to be good quad core overclockers. I'm not looking for any absurd speeds, but I do expect to at least match my Dual cores 3.816 Speed.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    The 4.2GHz was my thoughts too. Even if you are just bench racing, 5.0GHz seems a pretty far reach without at least dry ice or liquid nitrogen, so if we see fog coming out of his home, we'll know he's up to something! LOL!! Go Speed Racer!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It'll be fog coming out of the University of York, and we'll both be there! :p
    I too am highly sceptical about 5Ghz, as I've still yet to see anything other than CPUZ or a 10 second Prime95 run above 4.3Ghz or so. Thanks to the lower power requirements of the 45nms, some good 4Ghz+ overclocks have been run on air cooling no trouble, but given the exponential manner of voltage increase, I don't think changing to watercooling will actually give that much of a boost.

10. spamual

spamual Guest

hehe cant wait to prove people wring (even if its myself :p) HAHA

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I love being proved wrong by what's right. It moves the bar of possibilities higher. Since I am also awaiting a Q9650, perhaps we can both find new baselines from which to measure by.;D

12. spamual

spamual Guest

yeah :)

what GPU you have?

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Intel 845GV :)

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not being a gamer I have the HD 3870.

??

He did ask what GPU?

But then you knew that right? Right??

Hmm! Perhaps not.:D

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You have a pretty good card for being a non-gamer.

And that's the chipset on my motherboard which includes the graphics.

16. spamual

spamual Guest

well atleast we can compare 3dmark CPU scores :)

btw you running vista or xp?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Use it for HD playback. I never buy a top card but I always get a decent one and I do play the occasional game.

I saw the "V" on the end of 845 and was being facetious. Even though I don't game a lot I still would never own or use integrated graphics on any of my rigs, although my workstation at work is using an integrated chip.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah well I sold all my good computers. I used to have an HD4850.

19. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

I have not been on in a bit, but I've been really busy. Found some free time, and decided to get some advice on OCing my q6600. I have a x48-ds4 and a TRUE. I have no idea where to start, so any advice is appreciated.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sam

You said you were interested in seeing how the Q9650 does on water so I thought I would give you an early shot. I just finished installing the processor about 20 minutes ago and decided to leave my previous E8400 in place except for one small change in the vcore which I lowered. With some of the recent quad core overclock stories I expected it to not boot but it came right up and at a vcore that the E8400 would trip on. It takes about 200 hours for Arctic silver to set so I will be running a few test to help it set. I don't believe in burnin for any purpose other than setting thermal paste. Here is an early CPU-Z screen shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008