1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    That's impressive!

Russ

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thought I'd give it a quick sisoft bench with version 2007.7.11.80.

[​IMG]

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For that core voltage I'm very impressed. I'm still not sure what to make of electronmigration issues for 45nm quads though... :S - that's 11% faster than my Q6600 in MIPS(which gives a similar clock speed) but a far more impressive 31% gain in MFLOPS. For 150mV less, that's excellent.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It seems to be doing freakisly well and I still haven't increased the Vcore. Could this be a stable 4X GHz plus quad core?

[​IMG]

5. spamual

spamual Guest

go on mate, push it to the magical 4GHz mark :D

tis the magical E0 stepping..... itss the G0 of 45nms.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

EO stepping is the only reason why I didn't go for a more affordable Q9550. Too many people are still getting C1 to take a chance. I will easily be able to hit 4 GHz and probably stable as well. I will however on the weekend give it what you guys want to see. LOL

Spam

Have you got your E8600 yet? They're all EO stepping and you should be able to hit at least 4.2 GHz stable.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spam

Is this what you were looking for?? Still seems to be cool and stable.

[​IMG]

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Soph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get out of town. that is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!! that did it, you just sold me on a QUAD. to hell with that E8600....when the time comes and money allowing Quad here i come.

70,000+ MIps. that is twice mine at 4.0 (duh quad core.lol)all this is on the P5Q deluxe????

E0 stepping is the way to go... have ya stressed it at that speed yet?

oh yea i got my power back...

GM
    i did some more looking at that CM932 case.... it only has the 1 front red led fan. the other 2 are none led. the side panel you can take the 230mm fan out and put in 4x120mm in its place. the top is set up for a H2O cooling resivour. if you dont want to go that route you can take out the top 230mm fan and put you PSU up there it is set up for that also. there is so many options to that case its unreal.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Rob

Don't buy on anything here until you see the end results of stability. Things look good so far but who knows? BTW, That was an old bench, here is the latest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Soph
    im not buying a CPU now. let alone that one. $560 is way out of my league. i can wait till I7 comes and the prices drop on the quads.
    i remember you saying you wanted to get at least 3.8ghz out of it like your E8400. so im sure you are more than pleased right about now... as well as the rest of us.

the only thing im gonna get any time soon(2 months down the road) is that CM 932 case and the OCZ vendetta 2 cooler.... im gonna do this slowly so when its time to do the "new build" i will only need a few parts. i want to learn more about this GA-EP45-DS3R board so i can determine if i want to use it with the Quad and get a cheaper board to put the E8400 on at stock for the wife and my sone. if not i will look into another board for a quad cpu. by the end of the year i hope to have.
    1.new case
    2.new cooler
    3.new gpu
    4.new hdd's
    5.new mem.1066 4x2gb

then the only thing i will need is a mobo and cpu.

if i do it peace at a time here and there the wife wont even realized i just did a whole new build...lmao

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    My Friend, Out Freekin Standing! You just sold me on Water Cooling, and as you can probably guess, I have a few interesting ideas on how to go about it! ROFLMSOAO!

Beautiful Benchmark,
    Russ

12. spamual

spamual Guest

wonderfull..... now you are under water, get it to 4.2, and .3 and .4 and hopefully .5

CLOCK BABY CLOCK!

one more month till E8600.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I wanted to purchase a Q9550 which is $324, and which should do most of what I just achieved with this chip if you can get one that is EO stepping, but unfortunately many are not. The Q9650 is actually a QX9560 but with a locked multiplier.

Just water Russ not separating hydrogen and oxygen for fusion reactions. LOL

When I tested things earlier it was 93 degrees in the house because the air conditioners fuse shut down during the day. Here are the temps now.

[​IMG]

I will give it shot tomorrow since stale testing takes time, and then we shall see, but you should be able to get it higher with an E8600. I am not in the least disappointed thus far.

If any of you decided to try and follow be certain that you have an EO stepping chip.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  14. spamual

spamual Guest

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I said that a stable 4.2 GHz was possible but that 4.5 GHz is unlikely, and that 5 GHz was not going to happen without extreme cooling such as nitrogen.

I am now and will always be looking for high stability overclocks! Anything else just isn't useful.

The true sign that things won't last long or are not useable is high vcore settings. Look at my Vcore.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spam, this is the guys final quote.

An overclocker soulmate. He said exactly what I would have said, and remember that I have a quad core which is basically two E8400s stacked together.

17. spamual

spamual Guest

its not Vcore thats killing the 45nm, its a VTT of over 1.4 which is killing them very quickly. Vcore upto 1.45 will be fine

he got to 4.5 from an E0 E8400, with a very very basic water cooling kit, which is probably as good as a mid-high range air cooler.

what is your water set up?

(and have you got pics :D)

one thing interesting he said:

[​IMG]

18. spamual

spamual Guest

i see

well thats where we will differ :D i want to be pushing my CPU to within a breath of its life, and then release the strangle hold a little so it can live, for atleast 6 months.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    He still has to overvolt to do it though! He also didn't show any tests for stability. Still 4.0GHz with 2.258v would be fine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Edit! Saw that Russ wasn't referring to me. LOL

The legal voltage range for the Q9650 is .85-1.3625V and my processor is below the higher of the two which means I still have room to move. As far as stability is concerned I successfully ran 8 Passes with IntelBurntest and I posted a screen shot already, look back a bit.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008