1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

abuzar, pm sent to you.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Is there really any purpose for the QX9770? Who other than rich folks are going to pay for a $1500 processor? However if you look at neweggs reviews there are several that have purchased it and one of them has even purchased a Vapochil Lightspeed Phase cooler to cool it so that he can overclock it. That's about $2400 for a processor and cooling system alone!!!

Below is a quote from him and it leads me to believe that he is indeed a rich boy. LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115051&Tpk=qx9770

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  3. spamual

spamual Guest

well im sure if there is an E0 stepping of it, it would OC Mentally, no?

its only got a 8 multi though :(

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's because Intel in their sneaky way has put in on the market for non overclockers. It's nothing more than an EO stepping Q9450 overclocked by Intel to a 1600 MHz Frontside bus.:) The Q9550 and Q9650 are much better bargains and can with a little tweaking easily challenge it for top spot.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if anybody cares about my opinion, I think intel sucks big donkey dongs. it really pisses me off the fact that you can NOW buy a Q9550 for the same price as a Q9450. ya, I got sucked in. just call me Ben Grover (bend over). oh well, I'm stuck with this for a while. other prioritys to attend to for a while.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Mort

Don't be hard on yourself, early adopters always pay a bit more, but they also get the spotlight when things are right!!

I'm an early adopter, I know!! LOL

7. spamual

spamual Guest

umm these price drops were being roumered for a few months. and the dates were known aswell.

reading fudzilla ftw :)

8. Teke406

Teke406 Member

Where can i find a step by step walkthrough to overclocking a q66? This will be my first attempt and I need all the help I can get.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

10. Teke406

Teke406 Member

thanks for the information

11. spamual

spamual Guest

what is your rig mate?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Be advised, though the process is the same, if your chip is new, you may not get quite so good results as these as the older chips overclocked better.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! I'd say that mine is pretty new and does alright. I'm now running the vcore at 1.28V and all is well. I just completed an HD DVD to Blu-Ray re-encode and it took 4 hours and 22 minutes. That's over 3 hours less than it would've taken me with my E8400, but it still demonstrates the need for faster processors with more cores.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He means the newer Q6600s dont overclock as well as the old ones.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's right, the new 45nm chips are blinding, but the Q6600s have suffered in the latest revision. I can only pass IBT at 3.24Ghz at a voltage I'm happy with, 1.47V, and even at 1.52V, it won't even get to the end of POST at 3.6Ghz - considering that older ones used to make near enough 4Ghz for at least benching purposes at that voltage, not so impressive. However, for less than 60% of the cost of a Q9450, I'm not going to complain. The chip works, and works well, and no matter what benchmark websites say, it's a fabulous companion to a powerful graphics card in games.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think that the Q6600 were ever stable above 3.5 GHz and your results are probably closer to reality. When you think about it that's still pretty decent performance for the dollar. Some of the guys over at doom9 are doing pretty decent encodes times with the Q6600.

I should be getting good results because I paid for the privilege, but then I had a purpose that made paying for it less painful. I've never reproached my self for making a final decision on a purchase and neither should you or Mort do it either. You purchased what made sense that the time and hind sight is always 20/20.

17. spamual

spamual Guest

whats the max you have pushed the Q9650?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did well, my CPU cost me £25 less than it costs to buy now, I'm ecstatic about my purchase. However, while I agree, there's a great difference between people who say "I overclocked it to x.x Ghz stable" and people who really did get a stable chip - Waymon3X6 pulled off a 3dmark at 4Ghz with his Q6600 on water. I can't even get into windows above 3.5, so there is still a difference.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't tested it for max speed yet since I'm more interested in it as a work horse for encoding, but I did boot it at 4.15 GHz successfully and without crashing. I'm looking for near perfect stability at the lowest possible voltage. I haven't raised the vcore above 1.33 yet and at 3.95 GHz I have it set to 1.27v. If I want to run it higher I will need to invest in some new memory since I'm currently running it at 40 MHz above its rated speed (1066 MHz). The current idle core temps are between 26C to 28C and during an encode yesterday the core temps never exceeded 56C.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Bro, waymon was also running 1.7v through his chip to get that 4ghz. So unless you plan on doing that with a VERY high end motherboard dont expect 4ghz.