1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    They must be new B3 stepping chips then, because the GO stepping rocks and can hit 4.0GHz. Morty had his at 4.0GHz! In fact, that's why I'm waiting for the Q9550 to come down in price. It's more than twice as fast at the same clock speeds. With a bit of tuning and tweaking the Q8550 is about 98% of the much more expensive Q9650! It will run forever at 3.8 to 3.9GHz with ridiculously low voltages! That's why I wouldn't buy a Q6600 now, even with the G0 stepping. I'll wait for the Q9550 at Q6600 prices! It'll wind up being a better deal all around!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No, it's the new G0 stepping chips that suck. They all have high VIDs and dont overclock that well.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Maybe for a quick CPU-Z shot and a short bench but otherwise there is no way that the Q6600 can run anywhere near 4.0 GHz and provide any practical use even with phase change cooling.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like my Q6600 even tho it's setting idle right now. I'm messing with a friend's lappy and it's kicking my arse. lol. I think the DVD RW drive is toast. Anyway.... I've messed with the DFI-Q6600 a little bit and used DVD RB Pro on a 6.9GB movie and the time was 37 minutes start to finish with that progie. :) I thought that was good for the 3.0GHz OC and using Hank's encoder. :D

...gm

5. spamual

spamual Guest

umm q6600 could do 4ghz under water aswell. ofcourse not all. most did 3.6.

oine guy got his q6600 over 4ghz under air. 24/7 use

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I truly doubt that anyone has ever got a Q6600 to 4 GHz under phase change 24/7 use let alone with air or even water. One of the things that we all learn over time in forums such as these is to sift out the bullSh**t and the truth. I can believe 3.6 GHz but I suspect that most got less than than even 3.5 GHz.

7. spamual

spamual Guest

well screen shots id agree with, and tbh i trust alot of these people im talking about. just because you do not belive the Q6600 G0 to be overclockable doesnt not mean its true.

there maybe only 1-2 chips out of every thousand that can clock to 4GHz on air, but it does happen.

alot have hit above 3.4 and quiet a bit of those hit 3.6

i dont see why it is hard to belive?

did boozer not hit 3.7 with his?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you don't see why it's hard to believe then perhaps you believe too easily. Chips in a particular line do vary a bit but not to the extremes that you're advocating. I spend a lot of time outside this forum with some very skilled and knowledgeable people, or I review articles on just about everything. I have yet to run across anyone who has clocked a Q6600 to 4 GHz and used for practical purposes. It might be possible to crank up the vcore to some seriously stupid level and then grab a quick bench, but trust me, no one is using one clocked that high. The best results that I've heard claims from are 3.6 GHz and with the right stuff I believe that to be possible, but the reality is that most people will be lucky to get beyond 3.3 GHz and stable. The key word is of course stable. Many chips will overclock as much as 200 Mhz above stability, but should that count? I don't think so. I count only what makes sense and is useable for CPU intensive tasks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  9. spamual

spamual Guest

you are not the only one who uses other forums and reviews.

no offence to aD but these forums are not very enthusiast based.

i use a whole host of other forums which i am an acive member and have alot of goof friends. out of all of them, i know of 2 people which have reached 4GHz or above. one on water, one on air.

most people do not get passed 3.6, some do but not much past 3.7

when i say stable i say prime with 8 hours.

IMO stable is subjective. stable for me is gaming, where as stable for you is ripping and encoding movies/films.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

24/7 use for a week - my bad, I didn't realise he was using one point silly voltage. I assumed it was in the higher 1.5s.

As for aD not being enthusiast based, that's a very good thing. I direct countless first time overclockers to this thread, the ideas they pick up from trying ludicrous voltages and high speeds is going to give them dead CPUs within days! It is good to reaffirm what is safe and what is stupid to make sure people don't fall into the enthusiasts' trap! It also cuts down on the moaning when people for example can't get their Q6600 to 4Ghz on air.

Knowing my PC passes a burntest, I can far more accurately hunt crashes. A lot of 'enthusiasts' may get one crash or freeze every month or two, and will pass it off as a bug with a particular graphics driver or BIOS revision, since they run through the things like water, when actually it's more likely to be their CPU running too fast.

I don't just expect, I know people run Q6600s at 3.6 or so 24 hours a day, with the older G0 Q6600s, that was doable on voltages like 1.50, which I'm close to using now. However, you won't see that happen often with the newer 1.325 chips, nor will you see anyone get 3.8Ghz or more out of them at a sustainable voltage - extreme overclockers run their CPUs at very high voltages, and simply replace them after the inevitable pop. I'm pretty sure it was overvolting that was curtains for my P5N-E SLI.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Many of us could be called extreme overclockers because we often exceed 30% overclocks, but there are another type of enthusiast who shoots for high overclocks. In those cases they just stay up long enough to take a few benchmarks and then drop things back down to a safe and useable level. Sometimes these individuals are not honest about their successes, and they continue to give the impression that they are actually using their PC's at a speed common sense tells you is not likely.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, one of the guys at my LAN posted a 3dmark at 3.7Ghz on his Q9450, using 1.5V. However, a note is posted beside his score saying that it's not an official result, because he can't use that voltage all day.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yeah, that's got to be the C1 stepping. Mort had his over 4.0GHz at a much lower voltage for a month or so. I believe he is at 3.70 or 3.75GHz now! I'm not sure that they built any E0 stepping Q9450s. I doubt that they'll build any more Q9450s anyway. I think the Q9550 will be the new Yorkfield entry level. Those will get E0 stepping, for sure! the price difference is only $10 now, anyway. I'll take a Q9550 at an entry level price, please! LOL!! I'll take another guess and say a $229 Q9550 and the Q9650 falls in the $349 range in the spot the Q9550 occupied before. I think that would be a more reasonable expectation than I had said previously!

Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There is no E0 for the Q9450 to my knowledge. It's rare even for the Q9550, rather a shame, but there we go, if you want big time overclocking, you have to spend the big money...

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And we wonder how misinformation makes its way into posts. If you read Morts sig you will see the below info posted.

I've heard that there are some who are getting Q9550 in EO stepping but I haven't come across anyone yet who has. A guarantee if EO setpping what made me finally decide to pay more and go with the Q9650. I have no intentions of going with the first generation of Nehalems so I figured I better get as much as I can muster if I'm going to have to live with it for a few months to a year.

It would be interesting if anyone can find evidence that the lower priced quads were also released with EO stepping.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Searching around, all the Q9550s I can find in stores or on ebay either don't say what stepping they are, or explicitly state C1...

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't been able to verify any EO stepping for quad cores other than the Q9650. I think that they will hit the shelves as soon as the current stock of C1 processors are depleted. I doubt that they will ever be a Q9450 release. Unless the price is reduced on the Q9450 it might go out of production altogether.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what i'm expecting, it's new stepping, lower price or bust for the 9450 now. Not what I was expecting at all...

19. spamual

spamual Guest

btw, yoyotech are selling PCs which have a Q9550 at 3.91GHz, with a Vocre of 1.525.

now i would cringe at that, but they obviously cant sell a PC without testing it fro months before hand, because they would not want dead PCs on their hands, they are a business after all.

its like i said before, a VTT of over 1.4 will kill a45nm chip, before are Vcore will.

and soph, i was talking about older G0s, here let me get some screeenies.

[​IMG]

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17888722

[​IMG]

that goes to a lapped TRUE

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spam

All shows is that someone booted it at 4 GHz and ran Prime95 for a couple of minutes. I still would bet money that afterward the user lowered his speed to a working level.