1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. spamual

spamual Guest

8 hours is not a couple of minutes. ¬_¬

and he has had it like that for a few months now.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So he tells you... Why should that be 100% truth? :p

3. spamual

spamual Guest

well that can be true of anything or anyone here aswell.

[​IMG]

1.18Vs 3.8GHz on stock cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is that yours?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the stock cooler? Doesn't sound very Spamual to me...

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Maybe he is broke after breaking three CPUs in a row or something haha.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lmao, very prophetic...

8. spamual

spamual Guest

not mine lol, just showing some E8600 goodness, for when mines comes, and i cant live up to the hype :p

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spam

With the E8600 he chose stress level 3 which isn't all that challenging. I put my E8400 through more stress and the E8600 has a better clock multiplier and stepping. I think that the E8600 EO stepping will easily run stable at stress level 1 and at 4 Ghz with the right board and RAM.

10. spamual

spamual Guest

i know, your right. was just showing then even with the pathetic stock cooler 4ghz could be reachable, so 4.5 should be a minimum with water cooling.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If only it worked like that... :p

12. spamual

spamual Guest

yeah if only it worked like that in chips before the E0 E8600....if only...

:D HAHA

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think that it will hit 4.5 but probably not stable. I realize that dual cores have a better chance at really high clocks but I think that around 4.2 GHz (maybe a little more) is as good as its going to get and be stable.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

with a very high voltage I reckon 4.4 is doable, but I reckon that will be in the higher 1.4s to pull that off.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The problem with pushing unrealistic high overclocks is that one begins to face a number of issues. Too high voltage will leak which will increase heat and speed up electromigration. Also the law of diminishing returns comes into play which means that the performance gains aren't really there along with instability and write back errors. Still with the right cooling 4.2 GHz or so just might be possible.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    What I'm seeing in most forums I visit is 4.2-4.3GHz on water for the E8600! Still, If you don't go NutSo, give it your best shot!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

OK so I have long wanted to break the 4.0ghz mark on my PC, and at the same time have it stable too. I'm running an E6750 with a TRUE120 heatsink, on an Evga 680i motherboard, inside an Antec 900 that is completely stocked up with fans. Cooling shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently at 3.6ghz stable, from memory my vcore is at 1.475v (I thought it was a little too high but its not stable under this :S) But I'm a little unsure of the upper limits of these things, so I don't really want to push it any further without asking, in case I get a meltdown :) I have tried using this vcore setting and jacking it up to 3.8ghz but it gets all buggy when I boot in to windows, which usually ends in a BSOD. I know its not as simple as just bumping up the vcore and cranking the FSB, so what else do I have to increase to get her running steady? As we speak, room temp is probably about 30c and I'm idling at 34-36. Load is about 50 or so.

Oh, and my RAM is capable of 1066mhz but if I use the enhanced performance profile it puts the voltage up a little too high for my liking (2.4v or something) so running in unlinked mode can anyone recommend what to set my RAM speed at, and also the voltage? It's G.Skill PC8500.
    Cheers :)

18. spamual

spamual Guest

what is your NB voltages?

increace the voltages to 1.5, do not go over this, and push the FSB up to 470

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rubixcube,
    i don't think you will get more out of that motherboard. I'm mildly surprised you got 3.6. That chipset has had it's problems. Especially on the EVGA boards!

Russ

20. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

OK SPP is 1.45v and the vcore is actually at 1.525v but the bios sensor was reading it as 1.48v? I'm currently running 3.78ghz. 36c at idle, but its probably about 25 room temp now. Anyone think I can go higher? Also what can I use to test stability? I had prime95 I think, but I could never actually figure out how to get it to work, it would only max out one core.

edit: Russ, just out of interest, what are your voltages at to keep yours at 3.55?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008