1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I'm thinking about water cooling my CPU. Someone suggested this kit to me. I like the concept and I have more than enough airflow for the radiator with the much quieter Silverstone 120mm rear fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108100

Everything will fit so it should be very neat. I'll even be able to top off the radiator without having to remove it. What do you think?

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That kit is better than most, but a select set of quality parts will still be better than any kit. One word of warning - Be ready for watercooling. Installation may appear simple, but obviously the consequences of getting a leak don't bear thinking about. Yes, watercooling fluid is non-conductive, but the residue it leaves behind could still easily kill off whichever component it lands on.

Did you mean top off the reservoir?

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

here ya go buddy. doesnt state E0 or C0 but i have personally been in the store and everyone there is E0.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298717

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unusual, as every Q9550 online is still C1... Maybe times are changing...

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Since it's in-store pick-up ONLY, you'd have to "hook" us up for the E0 Quad deal!!! :D

You go ahead and buy a few and we'll pay you back. WE promise. :p

...gm

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

HA HA HA very funny.....lol
    $317 after tax + $8 roughly to ship most anywhere in the US.total of $325.. send all money orders to me and i'll ship them out... now takeing orders.....lol

ok guys playing around in the bios a bit..not with the OC it stays at 3.8ghz,, but messin with the C1E and E1ST???what ever it is... thats more of a energy type items right.. it only uses the higher OC when needed... if so wouldnt it be good ot use it? cut the volts when not needed...lol

7. spamual

spamual Guest

rob i might actually decide to buy off you, if there are no e0s here in a couple of weeks.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

wow wont that be a pretty big shipping over the big pond to ya shaff?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It only cost me a fiver to send greensman a CPU, but then that was only insured for £30, not £200 plus...

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well we'll have to see if it comes down to it? i will see how much it weighs and find out where i would need to send it to to ge a estimate of cost...

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Remember his fiver is 5£ NOT $5. lol. :)

I would guess the way you pack stuff it would be about $15-$20 added to the initial price of the item. So about $340 or so delivered to the UK. ROFL... That's terrible when you have to order from across the sea to get a decent price. :D

Oh wait... I think I did that recently. hehehe. :p

...gm

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Spamual,
    The problem you can run into is declaring a high value. If you keep a low value and list it as used it will probably be all right, but if the value is high and they check it, it's VAT time!

The last time I tried to send a CPU over there, the postal authorities in Canada impounded it. This was after I inquired about doing it in advance, and my local Postmaster said that I could do it!. $16 and it took me about 6 weeks to get the CPU back, and no, I didn't get a refund! I thought we had gone to war with England overnight! ROFLMAO!!

I think that's wrong, BTW! If I want to send you a birthday present of a new $1000 CPU, what business is that of theirs! The world is getting far too money hungry! Everybody wants their piece of the pie. The problem is by the time all these leeches take their piece, there's nothing left in your pocket! LOL!!

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    C1E allows the multiplier to be lowered so that the CPU uses less power at idle or low power states. Typically mine idles at 2.6GHz, but jumps right to 3.6 when I use it! i always use C1E as it has no effect on performance at all!

E1ST should be turned off! It adjusts the Core frequency and CPU voltage lower to decrease power consumption. It adjusts itself according to your needs. It sounds much better than the way it actually works, and it does slow down the performance of the computer! In fact, I find it's operation to be very clunky, where you often have to wait a few seconds for it to re-adjust itself to the right speed as it does it in steps (that's why it's called "Speedstep")

C1E is fine to use,and I do, but unless you are running stock, and don't know better, turn EIST off!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. spamual

spamual Guest

good point russ, but couldnt you tag it as a gift? so customs wouldnt be paid?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It was listed on the paperwork as a gift. The legal explanation was all Gobbly-Gook, Legalese crap! There also is a limit on how many dollars constitutes a gift, so don't be expecting that Lambo for you Birthday! ROFLMSOAO!! You can't send CPUs to Communist countries either, because they claim that you are giving secret technology. Makes you wonder just how many Diplomatic Pouches are crammed with all sorts of high tech computer gear LOL!! Totally stupid and worthless law, that doesn't work! LOL Hey, wait a minute! It's the Government, and they are stupid! Now I understand! LOL!! Attention Dummies in the Government: China makes motherboards! You think they don't already have all the CPUs they need? ROFLMSOAO!! You can't get a Hell of a lot more communist than China!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Rob

I see a chance to pick up a few bucks toward your own Q9550 (not 9950 LOL). I think that they all would be willing to drop and extra $10 outside of cost and shipping for a Q9550 EO stepping (Russ' would have to be shipped by pony express).

Russ

Swiftech makes decent water cooling units, and it looks as though it will fit inside the case.

Sam

Water isn't the only solution! Hmm! A play on words. LOL

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30...lant_Additives-Performance_Coolant-Page1.html

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well fellas the point is MOOT!!! I just chatted with good ole RedRob and they're all GONE!! Yep they were the E0 stepping version and what I wanted!!! DANG IT!!!

Guess we'll just have to wait for the next batch to hit somewhere and snatch 'em up then. :)

.....gm

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup what Gm said.. they sold 12 of them yesterday in 3 hours. they only have 6 of the E8400 E0 out of 34 total from saturday.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Oh we're very modern here! We have running water now, you know! Can't figure out how to hook up the water to the Outhouse, but you can't have everything! Besides, Ponies don't Time Warp very well! LOL!!

All joking aside, thanks for the info on the Swiftech. It did look pretty well made to my eyes. Other than having to pull the MB to install the back plate/brace, it looks like an easy job.

You know, for the life of me I can't figure out why you have to buy a rear mount kit if you can't install it inside the case? Why not just mount it on the outside and make two holes in the case for the radiator pipes to go through! It's flat, and there's nothing sticking out to prevent it from mounting flat and the holes in the radiator line up with any standard 120mm fan, so why not do it that way. It's the same total thickness inside or out, so the screws that come with it should work! It won't interfere with any of the case slots. It should look very neat and professional! In fact, That's exactly what I intend to do, letting the rear case fan cool it outside the case. Hell, I might even paint it silver to match my case. LOL!! It will only stick out 1 3/8 inches and I'll just use some of the foam circles from the DVD cake boxes, cut down to seal the small space where the pipes go through the case, or some fat rubber o-rings. It would also make it that much easier to top off with coolant. I've looked it all over and studied the drawings on Swiftech's site, and I can't see any reason not to do it that way!
    I guess that means the Solution is the Solution! LOL!! Another play on words!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. spamual

spamual Guest

russ the thing is then you are extracting the heat from the inside of your case straight onto the rad. IMO put the rad att he bottom, or the front, i have had to put it in the top, but had i not rushed and thought about it, i should have gotten the rad holes drilled in the bottom.