1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No matter how well designed a water cooling kit is one with a larger tank and radiator stalled on the outside is going to cool better. The heat is still there no matter how it is being dispersed or drawn away from the processor. Sometimes size and location really does matter.{:>D)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    My feelings on that is that the temperature inside of the case will be so much lower to begin with. The only real heat left would be the Northbridge and the video card. Even the Northbridge will run a lot cooler, not having the heat from the CPU contributing to it.

Do not put it on the bottom, as it needs to be vertical, at least with the one I'm thinking about getting, or unless it's designed for horizontal operation. Any radiator will not work well laying flat if it's not designed for it, as it needs the help of gravity, or one continuous path through the radiator. The way that this one is made, it has cooling pipes, but they are common to the tanks on both ends of the radiator and needs gravity to allow the cooler water back to the end with the pipes on it! It's a bit more complex than that, but I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying.

Sophocles,
    That was my feeling too! Without the Freezer 7 Pro contributing to the inside case temps, I don't see any way that it won't run cooler putting it on the back behind the rear exhaust fan! The air coming oof everything else should be at a much lower temperature than with the air cooling.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. spamual

spamual Guest

but the CPU cooler normally also helps cool the NB, but then with less heat on it, would it need ot be cooled?

as for the GPU, for me and sam it would be a masive problem, for you with the 7600GT, you will be fine.

if you mounted it verticle or horizontal there would be no problem, IICR, the heatpipe are long ways, not side to side, so it would work against gravity going back up verticlay as it is, butt he flow from the pump should be enough anyways.

i know someone who has tested wither way and only made 1C of difference which can be put down to ambient temps.

4. spamual

spamual Guest

and why is outside mounting/bigger reseviour better?

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It doesn't make compromises for space.

6. spamual

spamual Guest

well you wont get much bigger than a 120.3 rad, which is internally mounted in a big case, and a 400ml reseviour.

this to go into a lian li pc-a70b, or soph would it better to go external?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Q9550 EO stepping at Newegg? Perhaps, I don't know but there are some people there claiming to have gotten one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Regarding mounting the Rad inside the case, my personal preference would be to mount it outside the case and have regular front to back air cooling for the rest of the stuff that is not water cooled.

Honestly with highend GPUs and CPU, not to mention northbridges, the ambient air is just hotter inside the case and it will probably effect the temps.

9. spamual

spamual Guest

tbh the best air cooling wwould be bottom to top, like in the silverstone raven case

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

OR front and bottom to top and rear.

EDIT: this sounds sexual

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK, then how about external units just look really cool and make great conversations pieces as well as great performance. Anytime there is a need to conserve space there are compromises.

[​IMG]

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

thats looks pretty bad ass.

I can't afford water cooling though :(
    I'm happy with my Tuniq towers. I can save that extra hundred dollars and get a better video card.

13. spamual

spamual Guest

sexy, if i do say so, shame the R3 isnt that good lol!

space saving is for pansies :p

i know lots of people who have had multiple loops with cross fire cards in a small lian-li v350b :D

and boozer, get the water cooling, a q9650 AND a 4870x2 watercooled too :)

will be the beast part of 1.3k ill spend

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

1300 pounds right? I don't spend more than 900 on a PC, which is like 460 pounds.

15. spamual

spamual Guest

yes that would be right.

and unlike for you my pc should last a year, and the watercooling kit remain till it breaks

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

At least I can say I've had way better computers than you until you build this new one :)

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Never used the Zalman but it looks like something out of an old Flash Gordon Serial. Really cool. I haven't checked out any reviews on it but I expect that it will out perform any air solutions.

In the end you can always use this site as a guide.

http://www.frozencpu.com/

18. spamual

spamual Guest

the zalman would get hot quick though, due to lack of air to the rad.

and boozer, your right, so has nearly everyone on this forum, good things come to those who wait, guinness xD

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Go ahead and build that beast.

I'll beat you with my nehalem build in two more months.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Spamual,
    I have the forged Copper Enzotek fo the NB, and a large part of it's heat comes from the CPU through all the lands connecting the CPU to the MB. Cool the CPU better and the NB temp should go down even more, and there's no hot air blowing on it from the CPU cooler. I'll turn the cover fan around and make it an intake so it blows outside air over the power regulators and the memory. Cool air will be drawn in the side vent, which should lower my video card temps a bit too! The radiator area is 5" wide x 6 7/8" long x 1 3/8 deep, so it's a good sized radiator to boot.

I just got done reading the tests Tom's did on it with an E6750 overclocked to 3.6+GHz and compared to a few other WC systems and 1 Air cooler, and it did very well inside the case. They do highly recommend it! I would expect that where it would count the most, if the radiator is mounted outside the case, is when we have higher ambient temperatures, and it do get hot here! LOL!! 46C is not uncommon in the summertime. I also am going to use my Silverstone instead of the noisy fan that comes with it, so I should have more airflow and less noise. Not only that, but I can adjust the fan infinitely so I can better determine the speed and airflow needed for best cooling. The stock fan is loud and can only be run at 12v or 7v. I think an adjustable fan would do a better job. Here's where the high cfm at low rpms of the "Stones" will probably matter a good deal. With 2 intake fans, they should aid the airflow even more out the back. Again, I can control the cover fan for all around balance of airflow.

As far as the person you know goes, a lot depends on what the temperature was when he tried it both ways, and how low the temps were on the inside. I mean think about it, if his CPU temp was mid 20s, he's not going to gain much by moving the radiator to the outside. But if his CPU temp was say 35, then I would expect the difference to be larger.

Best Regards,
    Russ