1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Historically you will probably be spending a bit of time on the phone with the MBs Tech Reps, because make no mistake about it, there will be teething problems. Considering Intel's delays with the X58 chipset, this should be an extremely green chipset! Not the kind of green that would make GM happy either! LOL!!

I have no desire to be pulling my hair out, and I have plenty of it, so it would be painful! I'll let someone else play Masochist! ROFLMAO!!

Best regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm, my main problem is money. If I can afford it then I have no problem being the guinea pig.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually spam that's more like it has to help cool it because an after market heat sink and fan takes up too much space to install a chipset fan. Water cooling takes very little vertical space and leaves plenty of room to add a chipset fan which is much better than directing a CPU fan at it. I use a chipset fan and my temps never hit 40C and most of the time it's around 32/35C.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    OK, I figured it out! LOL!! the bottom tank where the tubes are, splits the bottom tank, so water is pushed up the tubes of one half of the radiator and gravity and water volume makes it go down the other. That's why the "V" at the bottom. I must be getting old as I should have realized that if the bottom tank was common to both, it wouldn't work very well with the pipes that close! Also, lets face it, a common tank wouldn't need the V either!

Just a guess for sure, but a very educated guess!

BTW! You've got it backwards. The NB cooler actuall helps cool the CPU, not the other way around. I know, the CPU cooler directs air over the NB heat sink but it needs to, as the heat sink is working overtime trying to keep up with the heat caused by heat migration through the many connections between the NB and the CPU, and being so close together.

Here's my proof of that! When I installed the Enzoteck NB cooler, the NB temp remained about the same as with the stock heatsink with a fan on it. Maybe a slight bit lower, but essentially the same. Yet, the CPU temp dropped 4-5C. If you remember NuckNfuts clued me in to how much more heat the Enzotek would pull out of the motherboard, and that's exactly what it did! Once again thank you Nuck! I may even be able to remove the 40mm fan from the Enzotek as without being crowded in by the CPU cooler, it should cool even better. My work is picking up, and if Russells work picks up a bit, I can consider purchasing the Swiftech. Right now eating and paying the bills is the main concern! LOL!!

Russ

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When added just a fan to the passive Heat Sink my NB temperatures dropped by almost 10C, and since the CPU didn't need any help I directed the airflow toward the rear exhaust fan.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

When I installed a 50mm fan on OxiMoron's heatsink, the MB temperature dropped from 59C to 38C. 59C is really close to the limit for most modern electronic components. No worries now!

Russ

7. spamual

spamual Guest

boozer, i may ditch my system annyhow, depending on money, as my build is coming in january, so who knows if ill have nehalem ;)

im on limited time, russ ill read your posts when i get back LOL! :D

8. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

hey, about OC with intelburntest, i have a problem. i cannot seem to run the test. after i input stuff like how full of a stress and want, how many tests, ect. windows says theres a problem and intelburntest cannot continue and then closes. can somebody help me figure out whats wrong?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which, knowing watercooling, will be less than a year..

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually my oldest water cooling kit was 2 years old back in March 08 and it still runs as good today as it did yesterday. It's now on its 3rd processor. All I have to do is just add a little distilled water every now and then. The kit is only as good as the pump and motor used, mine is made by Delphi. Self contained water kits are only guaranteed for two years of use, but Donald has been using his for over two years and his is still working as well. I actually purchased two of the small self-contained Coolermaster units but never used either of them. They are still in the box. LOL

Looking at water kits can be confusing because there is a lot of misinformation going around about how they work

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is a good point. Delphi make superb equipment. Most of the PC-oriented pumps I've seen haven't exuded quality...

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sammy that's cause you is cheap!!! lol. j/k... Like most of us you have a learning curve with all equipment be it cpus, gpus, psus, or water coolers. lol. One thing that I've learned is that you can't skimp on certain parts. I would think that water coolers fit in that category. ;)

....gm

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hah, it wasn't me that was buying, it's the £60 Laing pumps that are crap, ironically a £30 D-Tek works fine!

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Some Laing pumps are made by Delphi and marketed through Laing and are of excellent quality. I've heard of early failures with some pumps but I think that a lot of it has to with water cooling's small penetration into the market. I have long since put aside brand preference for many products for concern that I would end up paying more than I should have for no reason.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I refer to the DDC model specifically.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Display Data Channel? I must be tired because I missed the point. I've been working on exporting Hounds MySQL 4X to file, and then Importing it to MySQL 5X. It's about 330 mb in size and I've been timed out twice already. LOL

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A Laing DDC pump, that's the model name... :p

18. spamual

spamual Guest

DAnger Den Vario ftw

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Vario is based on the same design I think...

20. spamual

spamual Guest

i dont think it is, but im not sure, got a link which says it is?