1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

so how would you know if you have eo stepping?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, my mistake, it's based on the D5, not the DD-C.

3. spamual

spamual Guest

:D

so is it good then?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not sure, I'm still a bit wary, but it is one of the world's most often-used pumps, so they must have got something right.

5. spamual

spamual Guest

;) my thoughts exactly

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@pcrepair

You can determine stepping by a code on the box or back of the CPU. If it is an EO stepping it will have this code "SLB8W." If it has this code "SLAWQ" then don't purchase it because it is the older C1 stepping.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL.

Now guys it's not like the C1 stepping cpu is a piece of crap! It won't OC as high as the E0 stepped Quad but it still does a nice little job. :D Same thing was known with the C0 and B3 stepped Q6600 cpus. I have the B3 stepped Quad and it's at 3.0Ghz with ease and fast if you ask me. :) NOT as fast as the Q9650 at 4.0GHz but it works. :p @ Sophy!! Yep me is jealous. ;)

My take on things at least.

NOW with that said I'll get the E0 stepping for sure. ROFL. :p

....gm

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I think you have your processor numbers mixed up. The SLKBSW is a EO stepping Q9650. The Q9550 with C1 stepping is SLAWQ and the EO stepping is SLB8V. Don't want the newbies to be grabbing the wrong box! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Darn I never get the box only the chip... tends to arrive with just the bit of plastic covering the bottom :) and I'm not taking it back out to look. lol

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That same information is stamped on the back of the processor on the heat spreader as well. If it's in OEM packaging then you can see through the plastic to look it over.

11. Shamb1es

Shamb1es Regular member

Looking to lap my CPU now. Seeing some of the tutorials online there is a large difference in the grit of sandpaper used. People are generally using as few as 4 or as many as 8. What grits did you guys go with?

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Depending on your desired finished product the amount and grit of paper will very. ;)

I use (on my coolers, never done a cpu) 200, 320, 400, 600, then I use a drill and a polishing wheel with red or white compound. I'm getting some 1000 grit soon tho so the last step with the polisher is a quicker process. :D

hth....

...gm

13. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

do you actually see huge temperature drops from lapping?

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Huge? NO! But 3C-6C is significant when pushing an OC to the limit. ;) I've noticed some HUGE temp drops from proper air flow and fan placement tho. :D

....gm

15. navskin

navskin Regular member

Hi Just a quick question about cpu temps. I have a friends comeputer here and he has an AMD Athalon 64 x2 5000+ running stock speeds, and the temp are in the mid 50s to 50C do you think this is high? And what shouldthe temps be, also is 60C the correct die temps , and could this be a fualt with cpu.

Here the rest of the temps

MB 36C (ASROCK ALIVE AM2-NF6G
    GPU 50C (PNY 8500GT)
    HDD 30C (SEAGATE)

thanks

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Navskin yes the temps seem quite high for stock. my 5000 black edition only gets that hot on a long encode and thats overclocked to 3.2 ghz

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

A lot would depend on what cooler he's using to cool the CPU, what case it's in and so on. There are just too many variables that come into play when it comes to cooling! I have a 64x2 4800+ in a very modified eMachine using a Freezer 64, and it rarely ever goes over 40C! Even running Prime 95, it has never gotten over 46C. Terrific case for cooling and it uses a single rear 92mm exhaust fan! And it's a Mini case to boot! If I look at the room temperature and it's 32C(90F), I know the CPU is at 35-36C. Cools very well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. navskin

navskin Regular member

The Cooler is Stock and the case is not bad the air flow in the case it has fans wise 3X 80mm 2X 120mm and that it going to change the thermal paste and see what happens.

@Russ
    i have a 5000+ stock and i have never seen the temp over 40C and i have it idling 15C witch good for stock think i have a good setup for overclock whole system 10%. do you think i would be safe?

MY SYSTEM

AMD Athalon 64 X2 5000+
    ASUS M2N Sli Deluxe
    2GB of DDR2 800MHZ (Pirete)i think.
    xfx 8600GTS

FANS
    4X 120mm fan for intake.
    1X 140mm Exit airflow

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

navskin,
    Your temps are not reading anywhere near correct. To get that low the ambient temp would have to be under 15C/22F. With air cooling you can't get temps below ambient! Even if you were inside a refrigerator, it wouldn't run that cool! Not even in mine which I keep at 34F. Generally temps will run 3-5C above ambient room temp at idle. 30C would be far more accurate! The Freezer 64 on mine will keep the CPU at 36C in a very warm 32C room, at least 10C cooler than the stock AMD cooler did at idle and 20C cooler under load. Check one out. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
    They are cheap and easy to clean as the fan removes easily without tools! Easy to install as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

with a modern stock cooler, idle temp of 15ºC would be achievable in a room with an ambient temperature of about 3-4ºC if the fan was on auto, around 7-8ºC if full speed. Either way, that's a damn cold room!