1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

The sensors on 5000 arent that reliable, I dont think I have seen one black edition with the sensors reading right, with mine I have to add +15 to the core temps to get it right, as they read about 15c when the cpu reading is 30.

the actual cpu temp doesn`t go over 40 when encoding ect, where as the cores hit 50, just to clear up what I wrote earlier.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right, I didn't realise that was a problem with AMDs.

3. navskin

navskin Regular member

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Yeh i think its mainly the black editions, but seen it on phenoms too. still waiting on them and the amd6500 wish they would pull there fingers out :eek:(

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Have you got the most upto date bios? some times that helps,

looking at those temps I would guess your cpu would be at atleast 40c after an hour, and the cores would be hotter still :eek:(

6. navskin

navskin Regular member

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

BY the looks of that it does look like +11 on cpu and maybe +25 on your cores.

you should be able to use asus ez flash to update your bios from a usb stick its on their site.

8. navskin

navskin Regular member

cant update nothing at the mo because asus site is undergoing maintance. the only time i need it and i dont want to download a bios off any old site.

will post when updated bios.

thanks

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

oh i was just on their site, try a different location as there is more than one site :eek:) good luck I hope it helps

10. Shamb1es

Shamb1es Regular member

What temperatures are you guys maxing out your Q6600's to? I believe Intel rated the temperature at 71 degrees, but is that for the individual cores or the CPU in general as everest reports as different numbers. Just bumping mine up to 3Ghz on air/stock cooler and watching prime95 for about 20 minutes the hottest cores peaked around 67, while the ""CPU"" temperature sat more around 58.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think mine runs around 62-63 in a stress test, 55 in a real test.

12. Shamb1es

Shamb1es Regular member

I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my Mobo. Running Prime95 now for only a few minutes my cores are around 56-58 and my CPU temp is reporting as 233 degrees? Even now under idle with cores around 32-34 the CPU temp is reporting as 204. I guess i'll just ignore it from now on but it still has me kind of worried that something is amiss.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I doubt that the bios is going to change anything, but with a stock cooler, it becomes even worse. The coolers they ship with the 64x2s are worth all of about $2.98! You see the smallish box the CPU comes in and then the tiny box for the cooler, and LYAO!! Weighs only about 2/3 of what the same cooler from two years ago weighed. Just a machined aluminum block with a fan on it. A lot less fins to it too! Even the base itself is about half again as thick!

You also might look in the PC Health section in the bios and see what temps it reports!

Russ

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Been reading the asrock site and the 5000 is ok on all bioses, so i guess there is nothing to do about your temp readings, where as the temps could easily be dropped as russ said. weird how many of the 5000 processors seem to have little glitches like this though.

15. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi everyone

been reading around and the of 15C are a bit mad but here the temps after idling after about five hours updated bios 1502 from 1302 and aswell same as before.

http://my.afterdawn.com/navskin/show_image.cfm/20925/full

is there any way that i can check them manuly.

EDIT: temps in bios are the same!!!!!!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You would need a thermal probe, preferably one that reads via an Infrared beam, for that. Not much you can do about it anyway, but your temps are at least a few degrees above the ambient room temperature, and not anywhere as low as you are showing in Everest. Did you check the PC health section of the bios? If they are agreeing with Everest, then the problem is on the Chip. If they are slightly higher than room temperature, it's Everest that's the problem!

Russ

17. navskin

navskin Regular member

both read the same everest and the bios so i think i might have a problem with the chip then so going to email AMD and see what they say? going to do some google and see what i find out and see what other people are saying.

will keep you all informed...

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If those are idle temperatures then they are a little high they should read about 40c to 45c with a stock heatsink and fan. I would check to see if the heat sink is seated properly and that the heat sink isn't clogged with dust. If it doesn't come down then remove the heat sink fan, clean the heat spreader on the CPU and heat sink, then reapply thermal paste and try again.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To give you an idea of what normal temps are, Here's mine. This is an E6750 overclocked 33% with the CPU at 1.49v. At idle, your's should be about 1-2C higher using an Arctic Freezer 64. The 65mn 64x2 4800+ in the front room is running at 32C at the moment. It's 26C in here at the moment. Shows you the value of a decent aftermarket cooler! Note the core temps!
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Russ

20. Shamb1es

Shamb1es Regular member

So far my overclocking hasn't seem to need to adjust the voltage at all. Is this an ideal situation where you only increase the voltage when you have to, or will keeping voltage on the low side stress the system somehow?