1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

If it will boot up and remain stable, there's no reason to raise the voltage. A lot of the newer chips will OC pretty well with minimal if any added voltage. Mostly it depends on how far you OC it and how good your power supply is. Stress testing with Prime95 or Orthos will tell you if it's stable or not.

Russ

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It depends on how high your overclock is set. Get a little extreme and you will have to raise the Vcore.

The ideal situation is the one that works. Some of us keep it simple. If it's hot then you need to cool it.;)

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Hey all, what's clocking like it over there in your area? Lots of MHz's I hope. I have lost track of the last 6 months post and not sure if any were ever for me anyways. If for the slim chance I missed one, IM or email me directly as I will not spend too much time fishing through the many months of post.

I had a few IM's and I did my best to respond to all, so if I missed you, please try again and I will check in from time to time.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Where did you disappear off to?

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nuck good to see you. How has it been the last few months?? Any new systems or crazy advice for us novices?? ;)

...gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good to see you Nuck!
    I'm currently trying to stabilise a Q9550 E0 at 3825mhz. Problem seems to lie with RAM and chipset, but I haven't played with anything like GTL refs yet.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Buy some decent RAM and a good mobo and you won't have those issues. hehehee. :p

J/K Sammy... I'm sure you'll figure it out. Of course 3.7GHz on that chip is good too. :D

Me is jealous of the Q9550 ownership... me wants one... Of course I'm poor and have to many other responsibilities to buy something else right now. I'll save and see what happens. :p

.....gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, there's more decent RAM than 2x2GB PC8500C5 Dominator? Well, maybe PC9200 I guess... :p
    The X38-DS4 is holding me back, as the P45 is the only chipset that can break 460FSB for a Quad core chip, but hey, not sure I'd want to be running 4Ghz on a regular basis, not on my 520W PSU anyway, even at 1.36V my idle power consumption is 20W higher than the 1.47V Q6600...

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

yup im back at it.i got some GOOD mem as GM said. so far it is living up to the hipe....only thing ive done so far is decrease my CPU multi to 8.5x. ive found a few with this same board find that the higher multis dont work to well for a higher OC. also loosen my mem up to 5-5-5-15 as instructed by a Mushkin rep.(yea got me some inside help)
    good to see a actual manufacture rep tell you how to OC there product.
    so no im getting ready to run the normal stress test to see what comes of this OC

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

I shouldn't say this prematurely but it does help when you use "good" products and not throw away crap from other manufacturers!! *crosses fingers* in hopes that OC is stable with present Mushkin RAM. lol. :p

Rob just stick that non-OC ram in a little machine for the wife or kiddies. It's still good ram I'm sure and will run fine for years at "normal" speeds. ;)

....gm

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well at those settings all is well. ran prime95 for 2 hrs. everything was fine.got it at 4.16ghz right now... havent been able to get it stable.. im sure im at my max with it. so after 1 try at 4.1 back to the sweet spot of 3.6ghz....

glad you said somethng about the crucial mem.. i gotta get a rma in order so get the 1 stick relpaced.

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Anybody benchmarked the new i7 nehalems yet?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nothing premature about Rob's efforts if it was human it would already be in middle school.;P

Don't buy it and you won't have to chuck it!

That's what I keep telling myself and the stockpiles just keep growing. LOL

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Amazing article. But I'm right back where I started last year: Core 2 duo over quad core. Here's the conclusion of the article:
    I know you guys, esp. sam, boozer, shaff, keep pushing the quads - but look at all those benches back on pgs. 6 and 7. It looks like Valve is working on some truly multi-threaded stuff, but .... I would guess that for serious gaming the E8600 could last someone through the end of 2010 before you'd have to chuck it all and move into a nehalem mobo.

Memory-wise he liked the corsair modules, but I see that Rob has the direct factory hotline number for his memory which is impressive. So which is the better memory, Sam's Dominators, or Rob's Mushkins?
    -Rich

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The one thing I will say on that subject, for single graphics that's absolutely right, E8600 > anything else out there. get an X2 though, and the E8600 gets dusted by even a Q6600. My frame rate in both Crysis and Age of Conan went up more by going from E4300 to Q6600 than it did from HD3870 to HD4870X2. Food for thought.

17. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Thanks for the clarification sam - I never did figure out what board he was running on. More than "food for thought" I'm back on quad! Lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe :) - going to post some images over at the Graphics thread by the way

19. spamual

spamual Guest

dual GPUs need quad, and they really shine on i7. single cards an E8600 FTW. thats why i wanted an E8600 for a while, till i decided on getting a 4870X2

20. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Hi, I have a E6320 @ 3.2Ghz on an Asus P5N-T Deluxe & 8800GT SLi. It is stable with 1.3875v vcore and 1.4v N/B, linked-sync with 2Gig Dominator 8500 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v.
    I can get it to boot at 3.325Ghz with 1.40v vcore, 1.52v N/B and 5-5-5-15 on the RAM and have run 3dmark at this level but it is not stable and keeps crashing! Any sugestions? I've read of people playing with GTL ref... Core temps are <60c with my TRUE.