1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. spamual

spamual Guest

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Anything other than Dual cores, if you exclusively play games, using only one graphics card is still a waste of time, I'd guess for about the next 9-12 months. Beyond that point it'll be worth owning a quad regardless.

Check it out though, in a game like Supreme Commander, you're looking at 51fps with an X2 4400+, versus 83 with a 3.6Ghz 45nm Quad. The difference is even bigger with the other titles tested, but no more of a problem as far as actual smooth gameplay goes.

3. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

But Sam, that is comparing apples with badgers.
    Of course a new gen Intel quad will be leagues ahead of a previous gen AMD dual...
    Anyway, I am decided. I will be persueing a hot dual core for after xmas and a 22" tft rather than a Q9xx0. Think that's a much better use of the same amount of cash in my own situation.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, the comparison is obvious, but it's to highlight the fact that CPUs are still very much important for games. A Phenom 9650 scores 64 in that test - not bad, but a far cry from what you can easily get from a Core 2 Quad.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@MaccerM

I hate to busted your bubble brother this shot of
    mine is pass 15% I've seen them as high as 110%
    but that's crazy Oc'ing and..I only got my cpu
    voltage set at +0.075 to get this Oc stable on
    the BioStar.
    [​IMG]

this pic here is under stress after 45mins of Orthos lowing
    the volts down from +0.150 to +0.075 at that +0.150v it
    was at 1.344v now at stock auto setting 333x9 stressed it
    is 1.200v
    [​IMG]

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not certain who posted this info but its wrong. If you are talking about an Intel core 2 quad Q9700 at 3.2 GHz there is absolutely nothing that you can do with an E8400 to match it even if the 9770 isn't overclocked. Unless of course you can get the E8400 to about 7GHz and then you'd be the first. If the 9770 was over clocked then you would have to reach well beyond 7 GHz.

I don't have a Q9770 but I do have a Q9650 and here is a basic benchmark. Use the image that I'm posting as a baseline and when your E8400 beat it then you have a chance.;P

The important thing is to compare like to like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sweet! Good luck with it.

Russ

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I'm trying my best Russ:)
    [​IMG]
    another test after voltage decrease to +0.075v
    I'm happy with it:)

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill68

Not bad. Could you posts your temperatures at that speed with RealTemp, a screenshot of CPU-Z, and screenshot of Linpack?

Yea I know it's a lot to ask but it would be interesting to see.

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

there you go Sophocles
    [​IMG]

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill

I suspected EO stepping. Now let's stress test it. Start with Linpack.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Has the rule for how long to run LinPack for changed? I ask because both my system and a friend's have at some stage been setup so they pass Linpack, but are inherently unstable. I assume 1/2 memory and 5 runs isn't sufficient to properly test a quad. Perhaps leave the test running for longer? I would but I'm concerned about the extreme (and unrealistic) temperature rise the program creates.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sammy the last time that I ran Linpack I think that I had FULL RAM and 5 passes. I would just run the test with RealTemp or similar progie in the background and see what she does. I wouldn't be to worried about a 8-10 pass test. ;) I ran the FULL RAM because I wanted to really see if the RAM was steady... and it was.... I didn't post it but I may have it handy if you wanna see it. :)

good luck as usual. :D

...gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I run Linpack with Everest in the system tray. My cores hit the high seventies, and my main CPU temp hits 60-61 on a 5-pass test. Considering normal load temps are low 50s at the most, that's a bit excessive.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The rules are the same but with one minor difference. If you have a system with 2X 2 gigabytes of RAM the system will not even run when you start it. I mean it won't get past two seconds so it seems to have a problem with either large modules of RAM over 1 gigabyte, or more than two gigabytes of RAM, but since I don't use 4 modules I can't say. When the memory is reduced to two gigabytes then it runs well if the processor is fine, but a little over and it might crash. I haven't tried with my Vista rig yet because it gets in the way of folding but I suspect that it will be less of a problem.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, the test ran fine at half memory usage on both 4x1 and 2x2 modules, but I was under the impression the 1/2 memory usage meant half your remaining memory, not half of the whole lot?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

With two gigabytes of memory I can send the system to Hell but add more and it won't even get to stressing. I suspect that this is a problem with Win XP since it can only address 800Mb per application but Vista can almost double that. I would run it now on my vista rig since it has a P5Q pro, E8400, and two Gb of Corsair Dominators, but then I would lose a lot of points.:)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually yes, that'll be why. It's a big problem for the game 'Age of Conan', so much so in fact if you up the detail it crashes every other minute unless you use a 64-bit OS....

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[​IMG]

20. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Q9770 is 5% faster clocked, and assuming that you'd be able to get the E8400 clocked 10-15% higher than the Quad.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not certain who posted this info but its wrong. If you are talking about an Intel core 2 quad Q9700 at 3.2 GHz there is absolutely nothing that you can do with an E8400 to match it even if the 9770 isn't overclocked. Unless of course you can get the E8400 to about 7GHz and then you'd be the first. If the 9770 was over clocked then you would have to reach well beyond 7 GHz.

I meant this in relation to gaming FPS. I'm not trying to say that a dual is going to outperform a quad in multithreaded synthetic benchmarks! lol.
    I meant that currently, for gaming, a heavily O/c'ed E8400 is probably going to play all your current games just as well as a moderately clocked Q9xx0 and you'll save over half the cost of the CPU. Of course the quads have more power and other advantages but for 100% gaming use you cannot yet justify the extra cost over a quick dual core.