1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd go with G-Skill. I haven't heard any problems with their memory. With OCZ Reaper I have.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I know the original Reapers were bloody awful, but the new ones seem to be quite solid, minus the complaints that they don't overclock very well. Duh! were are talking about memory that's already overclocked 266MHz to begin with. They also have those neat heatpipe coolers on the top. Right now they are the best selling 1066 memory on the market. You know how these companies are. Look at crucial! two years ago they were the greatest thing since sliced bread until they changed their chips. now people in the know avoid them because of all the problems the newer chips caused. The GSkill are solid performers! :)

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, but there's also the term of long-term reliability, which you can never guess at. A company that has a good track record tends to win favour with me over one that's had a bad track record. For those who want to experiment, trying the new and potentially very good product is up to them, but for most systems, I'm very much a creature of habit I'm afraid...

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@sheeny33

here's a site on G.Skill and things you can read about to find info
    on the brand if you don't already know...

G.Skill Site

here another you can't leave out in good quality memory
    Kingston HyperX

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    You can when money is a big issue there. The prices for memory in Australia are outrageous. $194 for 2x2GB 1066 Dominators. $39 with $30 MIR here! Don't even want to think what the Kingston HyperX costs there! LOL!! :)

Russ

Russ

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well Russ if that's the case would'en building a pretty good
    system over there be outrageous also..i guess what we pay in parts here would be double there or so,,i guess mine and your systems and worth more there after built huh? LOL !! :)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    It is outrageous! I'm sure shipping things that far is the cause. It has to go either by Plane or Ship! and then once it's there, getting it to some fairly remote locations. The population density of Australia is only 2.6 persons per square Kilometer! That's only the average for the whole country. It's far less than that in many outlying areas.

Russ

8. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Russ and Everyone,

I have the flu at the moment or at least it feels like it so you will all have to bare with me...
    First off I've decided to go with 2x2gig of G-Skill memory that you recommended Russ as I've found a good place here in Aus where its reasonably cheap, not as cheap as you can get on newegg but not extautionate.

Russ is right the prices over here for computer parts are awful!.

Right, I need everyones valuble opinion on this one:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Apluscase/TwinEngine

My wife and I both want a new case, and this one sticks out for us as a winner. I would just like to get some feed back on it from you guys as to what you think of it, ESPECIALLY you Russ!

Best Wishes,

Sam.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey there,
    No, Sammorris is right, it's a very poorly made case and not worth the money. Many of them arrive to customers somewhat broken, so I guess that design doesn't ship very well. I was actually interested in this case a while back, but the quality issues and there not being any 250mm fans available at that time. I passed on it. Later when various places tested them they were very poor at cooling. My personal favorite at the moment is The Nzxt Lexa Blackline.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146038
    it's a very good design with good airflow. The build I will be doing shortly will either have one of those or Possibly another Cooler Master Cavalier, as even though CM discontinued it, there are still some available on line for cheap.
    http://www.egoodz.com/product.aspx?pf_id=CAV_T03_UW $68.05 US w/Tax and shipping. It's the only thing I regretted giving up by selling my computer! The drive door is solid aluminum and can be reversed in less than a minute with no tools! I do like the Lexa blackline though!

I know the Xcilo looks sort of neat, in a weird sort of way, but the airflow is all wrong. Virtually every review I've ever read has criticized the cooling and they are not exactly quiet either! I would recommend passing on it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are far noisier cases than the Xclio / Aerocool or whoever else got in on the 220mm front fan bandwagon, but that's half the problem, the huge fans spin at less than 500rpm, too slow to actually be efficient, a 1400rpm 120mm fan will push the same air with a reasonably acceptable noise level, and it's a lot easier to fit multiple 120mm fans in a system.
    The NZXT Lexa and Lexa Blackline are good cases as far as airflow are concerned, but primarily if modified. The stock 120mm fans can cool a gaming system relatively well, despite what it might look like, but if you have all five HDD bays filled, you might want to consider a slightly faster front fan. Also, the top 80mm fan is all but useless, I replaced those pronto. Fortunately 80mm red LED fans aren't hard to find.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't mind betting that's an equivalent, rather than the actual clock speed, like it's 'like a 3.5Ghz Phenom 9950'. THe reason I don't trust them is they've misspelt Phenom.

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

no they have clocked all their black edition pc's to 3.5ghz, the 790gx boards seem to be the sweet boards for the phenom2's from all the reading up ive done so far.

aria have quite a good deal of good high end memory in their superspecials this week too :)

As for the bad spelling, i would put that down to not proof reading the ad. :eek:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ck, ad not add.

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

thanks for the proof reading ;o) lol its the keyboard too much cod 4 lol :eek:)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Does that mean that I shouldn't trust you because you ,misspelt misspelled? ROFLMSOAOTID! Some people don't type very well. I know I'm one of them! :)

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

God I did, wow, there's one reason not to trust Google's auto-checker folks :)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's the spirit! Trust No One! LOL!! :)

Russ