1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having finally found a competent review site that overclocked the chip with a decent board, I see the end of the 'basic' zone is 3.6Ghz. Not bad, but I forgot the 940 was a 3Ghz chip, I thought it was 2.6 or 2.8 like the others. Now 3.5 doesn't seem so hard :)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yea, but can I now trust you?? :)

JRS

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

plenty of forums with people getting them 3.8 - 4ghz on air if you read about. with the verified cpuz links.
    I dont bother bookmarking anything anymore, as I prefer to graze the sites rather than stick to a few sites and get a biased view, but I will book mark a few when i have a few further reads later and post them. Alot of the clockers have both intel quads and amd quads and recon when the phenom clocking has come of age, ie better bios's and getting the various chip voltages sussed out that they will probably clock as well as intel. It seems from what I have read so far that, alot of the early over clock reviews were pumping too much voltage through them and actualy limiting the clocks through heat.

Will be geting my 940 in the next month or so, so reading up as much as I can to get myself ready for it. :eek:)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I browse all sorts of sites, but tend to stick to certain ones I trust for most things, which is usually Bit-tech.net, DriverHeaven.net and Techreport.com. Anandtech, Guru3D and Legitreviews have posted suspicious reviews before, and Overclockersclub I explained about before.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I understand that, but I know for a fact that the 4850e is faster at everything than the 4400+ is, and I also know for a fact that the 5200 can't beat my E6750 at encoding. The 4400+ split the difference between the E4300 and the E6750 using DVDRB/CCE. I just can't swallow the 2.7GHz 4850e being slower than a 2.3GHz 4400+. It makes no sense at all! Something just isn't right! It would be one giant step backwards!

Russ

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Yeh I do look at them, but alot of their atempts at clocking the phenom2's were hampered by early bios's or even non specific bios's i.e. bioses for the first gen Phenoms.

AM3 Phenom2's are due within a month or so, so maybe the inclusion of the ddr3 controller will narrow the gap a little more, plus Am3 is backward compatible, so it enables a smoother upgrade plan for amd users, than intel offers its users, just a shame am2+ isnt forward compatible lol :)

Still they are narrowing the gap gradualy, makes you wonder if they have a suprise up their sleeves :) I hope so, will be nice to have competition back, thing is in real world general usage there wouldnt be that noticable difference in performance. it just means there is more options for the buyer, which can't ever be a bad thing.

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

mis·spell (mĭs-spěl')
    mis·spelled or mis·spelt (-spělt'), mis·spell·ing, mis·spells
    To spell incorrectly.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

enough of the mis-spelling.

9. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello guys, Long time no talk. I need some help maybe you guys ran into this problem. I just built a pc. Gigabyte GA-ep45-ud3p mobo. 4 gigs of patriot viper ram 1066 @1.8v i changed it to this setting, gigabyte 4870 512 vid, 8400 cpu running stock atm. now my problem is that i just installed the catalyst software for the vid card now my pc keeps rebooting. no bsod just reboots and stays stuck on the gigabyte logo screen. any ideas whats up. thanks in advance for your help...Sorry forgot to mention that it happens while im changing settings in catalyst hope this helps...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Boot into safe mode and remove the driver.

11. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Just the driver or the whole catalyst software. And once i do that do i re-install the catalyst software in safe mode?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Definition by WordWeb from Princeton University.

So you see Sam used it in a manner that would be expected of a Brit.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Remove it all and then go to ATI's website and make certain that you are downloading the right driver for your card. Also if you have any drivers from previous cards remove those too. Make it clean before you try again.

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

it sounds more like a bios issue with the card, surely it wouldnt get stuck at the gigabyte screen if it was a driver issue as drivers wouldnt stop it posting beyong that screen. :eek:S

If it is a driver / catalyst issue would be worth using driver cleaner pro to remove any left overs in the registry, also worth running Ccleaner to remove all the dead registry entrys that would be left over.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Spoil Sport! At least I got him to blame the Spell Checker! ROFLMSOAO!! Value in having fun screwing with Sam?? Priceless!! :)

Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is your power supply up to scratch? Power issues can wreak all sorts of havoc pre-windows.

Russ/Soph: Actually I didn't know it was another regional spelling, the more you learn eh?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sam, it's not just a regional spelling it's an acceptable spelling as well.

On another note for those who are interested. EVGA has released info on their new Nvidia based cards. I couldn't help but notice that the GTX295 has 480 processing cores. Sounds like they are taking some indirect advice from ATI. It has 1792 Mb of memory which means for those of you would match this with a 32bit 4Gb memory system you can now say goodbye to 2Gb of that memory.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00446/

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The amount of memory recorded never drops below 3.25GB actually, but I believe the effect is still there, so anything that uses more than 2GB will be limited.
    You should have a look in the graphics thread from time to time, we've been discussing the GTX295 for a while :)

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have along with others as well in another galaxy far, far, away.:p

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Probably for the best, knowing that thread... :D