1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

You just confused me there. ;)

They talking about modded INF's, why would I need that? And on the last link you gave the latest versions I could find was 62.20 or 62.27. I've got 78.10. Like I said, I'll just have to wait it out.

Is there something I'm missing on those pages? Was there any info for OC'ing or was it just for drivers? Think drivers are the problem?

lol, sorry for asking 4 questions in a row like that, I'm just confused about all that.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Niobis,
    From what I saw you need the modified drivers to enable o/c on laptop pc's.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

My new sig is my first attempt at Adobe image ready,it's a bit boring I know but I'm gonna work on it and maybe change it all together.

sam, just an idea:
    write down the o/c settings ASUS AI gives you and try setting the bios manually.If its the same result start slowing things down till you get stability.Maybe your chips not a good o/clocker.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  5. Niobis

Niobis Active member

crowy, thought you was off so I didn't post back. I will get back to you on those modded drivers either later tonight(EST) or tomorrow. I'm having alot of trouble out of my internet right now and I'm lucky to post anything. :D So, downloading anything is out of the question until I get this sh*t fixed. Thanks alot for the help, I'm sure I'll need more. :)

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Niobis,
    Your welcome buddy,hope you get it sorted out.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well my conclusion is that I'd be better off doing it myself since the auto AI overclock meant a Hypertransport speed was 1100mhz, which I thought was a bad idea. The only real hardware block I have is that my chipset fan is either not plugged in or not working. Since I didn't build this system I can't be sure, but I'm not about to go open the case to sort it out.

8. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Ok, I got something going here. Probably not for long though.

Just noticed something about the drivers page you gave. You said it was for the 60 series. Is that the same as ForceWare version 60? 'Cause this card came with 78.10 and I don't want to go backwards. :) I probably should have given my card specs before so, here's everything I know about it:

Processor: GeForce Go 6600
    Video BIOS version: 5.43.01.64.06
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16
    Memory: 256 MB
    ForceWare version: 78.10
    TV Encoder Type: nVidia intergrated

I'm using crappy dialup so I don't want to download a 10 MB file and it not be the correct one. Could you give some info on what "series [bold]60[/bold]" means.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  9. crowy

crowy Guest

1100mhz?? thats 2200 both ways,there's your bsod.....ROFL!!!

10. crowy

crowy Guest

Niobis,the 60 series is 6200 6250 6400 6600 etc.

11. Niobis

Niobis Active member

O...K, I'll download 62.27 'cause it's the latest version that has both INF and NFO, but if it doesn't work I'm coming after [bold]you[/bold]! ;)

12. crowy

crowy Guest

Niobis,.......LOL!!!
    No guarantees,but it's worth a shot.

13. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Yeah, I'll try anything at this point! It's going to take a while, still having problems so, I'll let you know later. Thanks mate!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah Ai leaves the HT set to 5x, so when you OC the CPU, that goes up too. Surely that's a bad thing?

15. crowy

crowy Guest

sam drop it to 4x

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, my hope is that I can drop it to 4x and squeeze maybe up to 20% out of it. of course the limit of 25 would be great, but I'm not going to push it without adequate chipset cooling, the highest I've seen it stock is 47C, but that's still quite warm. Trouble is, unlike CPUs I'm not sure exactly how far is a safe limit, because of course 47 for a CPU is quite cool, and for a graphics card is stone cold, but for a chipset it sounds quite a lot.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've set HT to 4x in the BIOS now, and the system booted (although with a strange graphical corruption and pause when I first booted, but it resolved itself after a couple of seconds). The odd thing is that in the BIOS there's no mention of the Multiplier or Front side bus settings, only grey text saying I have an X2 4200+ running at 2200mhz. I could set every setting of my RAM in the BIOS, and it says 400mhz at present. Should I change that? I was under the impression that differed from the 200mhzx2 bus speed.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, I found the options I wanted in the "jumperless settings" page, but I notice "command rate" in the memory section. It's at 2T for the moment, but I hear 1T is better for overclocking. Will that make things more stable, and what sort of performance loss could result from it?

19. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

1T and 2T ability depend on how good the quality of your RAM is really, cheap stuff wont do 1T, but expensive stuff will.

InvG

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corsair Value Select, so it sits somewhere in the middle.