1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. spamual

spamual Guest

WE ARE ALL WELL OT!!!

lol

coming back to OT, (a bit)

weird thign happend today

my PC wouldne boot. and i had 3 leds on the 4870x2 lighting up!

then i swapeed the pcie cables for it around and then it workedd.... than after i shut off same thing again, so i had to swap over again!!

then i shut off, and left off for 1.2 hour, and turned it on and it worked.

is is to do with capacitor charge?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you played any games since? It sounds to me like the power feed to the card is dodgy.

3. spamual

spamual Guest

yep playing gmaes fine, even GTA , and COD4 :D

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Weird. Did you actually need to shuffle the power cables? i.e. did you try rebooting it before you messed with the power connectors? It could potentially be an issue with how it's attached to the motherboard, or with the card itself.

5. spamual

spamual Guest

yep i tryed rebooting.

but if i leave it for 1/2 hour it works fine. im sure its a cpacitor problem

6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

spamual

have you noticed a squeal coming from it really high pitched, try altering the clocks in ccc, and see if you can notice it, mates card had a slight squeel to it because of a dodgy capacitor. and about 2 weeks later he had something similar, ie the card wasn't always starting up when he rebooted, he rma'd his. seems a few have gotten passed testing as its an error that doesn`t show instantly :( might be worth asking about on techpowerup forums.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. spamual

spamual Guest

no. no squeel, and its clocked up, but clocks on get clocked after CCC comes on

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The capacitors on graphics cards squeal under load anyway so I don't know how easy that'd be to test.

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I have never had an audiable squeel, mind you I have always had accoustic pads in all my cases :). my mates 4870 had a squeal which you could notice without load on it, it changed in pitch with the clock speed, and toward the end when his card decided it would rather have a lay in than start with his comp, it got noticably louder before refusing to restart wih the system.

he has added an old antec vcool gfx cooler . thats dropped his new card by 7Âșc, he has an antec 900 and i really didnt expect it to make that much difference :eek:S

had the core of my 4830 upto 750mhz admittedly with stock cooling at 100 and case side off, no artifacts on ati tray tool after 2 hours, so getting an AC accelero twin turbo on it this week. think thats as far as i will push the card though not wanting to pencil mod it for a couple more fps.shame the memory doesnt seem to want to be stable on the card over 1030mhz but with some zalman coolers on the memory and the AC accelero tt im sure i will squeeze a bit more out of it :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All the fans in the 900 are of no consequence if the heatsink itself can't get the heat out of the GPU fast enough. As for the squeal I've not heard of that before. Was it a non-reference card out of interest?

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

his is a saphire 4870 dual slot cooler almost the same to look at as the old 3870 cooler, he used the extension on the antec vcool so it was blowing nigh on directly up onto the coolers fan. i didnt really expect any difference in the temps cos his case is cool anyway, he has all the fans on medium on it, too noisey for my liking by far, i like my pc to be seen and not heard much lke my daughter lol.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Antec 900 is a noisy case on medium, the 200mm isn't too bad, but the 120s are faster (and louder) than my typical recommendation, the SFF21F, on full speed. They are also less efficient.
    Tucked away down the bottom the graphics card doesn't get much air if there are multiple HDDs in the system, the side intake usually cures that, but by default, there is no fan there in the 900, just a vent which does not have much pressure as there is only one rear 120mm fan. The 200 is a bit too far away to do much.
    The top speeds of the fans on high are 2200 for the 120s and 850 for the 200. I ran mine at 750 for the 120s and 180 for the 200. The fans were near-silent, even though they had a very nominal effect (it was used as a server), but the bare grille in front of the HDDs magnified the sound they make like you wouldn't believe - they let all the 'whine' out!

13. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

he has a fan on the side of the case too, yeh agreed the fans are way too noisey on the case. mind you it does keep his system nice n cool, shame he has no idea of cable management as it looks awful through the window lol.

off for a couple hours of cod 4 =o)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I gave up with cable management when I installed a graphics card that barely fits in my case :p
    My case isn't optimised for silence, but not having the huge grille on the front is a big plus. Ironically a dust filter would reduce noise as it would stop the whine from getting through as much.
    While I don't get the best temps, having a nice looking gaming case that produces very little noise is a big benefit :)

15. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I use hepa filter from vacuum cleaners to stop the dust now, they hardly restrict airflow but catch all the dust :) at 1/2 cm thick they deaden high end noise nicely too :eek:)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and deaden the airflow...

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the airflow is hardly changed as they are fibrous, the only time they deaden airflow is when you change them about every 2~3 months.
    even with my fans at 5 volt it still pulls through it with no problems at all.

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    I use the foam pads that come with motherboards. I cut them to fit my bottom air intake and the side air vent. They are perfect for the job, and washable!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suddenly seem all posh with my purpose built dust filters! lmao