1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh these are washable too, but i use them in the vacuum cleaner after the pc lol :eek:)

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I had purpose built filters before, but they didnt stop half as much as these filters, the insides used to end up with loads realy fine dust in it lol. now there is virtualy none :eek:P

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

sytyguy and ddp,

I was making a funny and you seem to have missed it. ;) I wouldn't call the guy with a deadly lightning bolt an "ass toot" but on the other hand the funny guy from the UK might find some humor in it. ;) Sorry for the OT. :p

....gm

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    That's how it is with the foam I use. I can almost read the computer screen through it, so it's very sheer! Cuts the dust inside the case to almost nothing!

Russ

5. DHua

DHua Regular member

I am thinking about building a new PC. Which Intel Core 2 Quad processor would you recommend for me? I would like one good for minor gaming, but don't really want to spend anymore than $300. I am thinking about buying the Q9300 right now, but the Q8200 and Q6600 seem to be much cheaper. Are these still good processors? Which one out of the three (Q9300, Q8200, and Q6600) are best for overclocking?

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DHua: The Q9300 will be the best performer at stock, and the best overclocker. Of the Q8200 and Q6600, they're both very similar, the Q6600 probably overclocks marginally better.

Sheeny: The Apevia X-Jupiter is expensive and nasty, don't buy that. The Thermaltakes are incredibly noisy cases, but cool relatively well. The same goes for the Twelve Hundred, but at least you can change the speed of the fans.

8. spamual

spamual Guest

noise is subjective (unless its a delta fan :p)

form those choices, the antec 1200. infact from alot of cases the antec 1200 will be best.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, noise is subjective, but the noise level of cases like the Antec Twelve hundred, or worse, Thermaltake's abysmally loud yet inefficient case fans is beyond the acceptance levels of most people, not just some.

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

not hard to change fans in a case though, it would be better to get the case with the best airflow/cooling capacity even if it is noisy, as its a 2 minute job to replace the fans :)

I would choose a thermaltake and just change the fans before the install, also get a few zalman 12v to 5v and 12v to 7v converters.

I just prefer the build quality having built in both brands, but thats just my personal preference. both manufacturers make good cases, its just which one floats your boat more :) its worth going along to a decent computer store as any worth their salt should have display models.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually, it is hard with the Antec nine hundred / Twelve hundred. You've been spoilt by having an NZXT case :p
    Fortunately, the stock fans aren't bad in the Nine hundred, but changing them is a horrible procedure due to the way they are installed. The back 120 is a doddle like any case, but the fronts are the horrors. I destroyed two fans trying to remove them from that front panel. The whole procedure in changing them took about 45 minutes. By contrast, I can change the front fan in an NZXT Lexa in about a minute and a half, tops.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh i must admit i changed all the fans on his 900, took nearly an hour, and then i had to extend all the fan cables lol, took ages getting the cables routed nicely too, thats why i think i would go for a thermantake case as long as it hasnt got the 12cm fan clip at the back as it tended to vibrate on the soprano case I had.

Getting a 120mm hole cutter to the side door of my nxzt case, to provide further cooling for my gfx card, mounting mesh over the hole, thinking of using some stand offs on the mesh and putting the piece cut on top to reduce the amount of whoosh noise :eek:)

as it is I have a 8cm fan retro fit over the spare pci slots on the case running at 5volt reduced system temps by 8Âșc with no noticable noise increase :eek:)

13. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Now im confused.... I was orginally looking at the ABS Diablo Advance but got put off because of the big fans. Then after some research and seeing reviews of it, people who have the case think its awesome and say in fact the airflow is pretty good compared to the previous design which was the ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo Black

here is a link to Newegg with some customer reviews of the case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16811215013

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Tagan/Aplus_Diablo_Advance/images/frtsdelit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trust me, they just think it's awesome because their PC doesn't overheat like it did in their old crappy extra value case. These cases, while not terrible, are distinctly mediocre for cooling, and many cases cool much better, such as the NZXT Tempest, and look at the price. You can buy a case nearly identical to this for a third as much.

15. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Sam,

What if its modded in some way, the case as it is has Front: 25cm x1 / Rear which is *Optional* / Side 33cm x 1 / Top: 18cm x2

I really do like the looks of the case and the blue LEDs... if only there was some way of modding it/replacing the fans or adding fans to make it perform better...

Just out of intrest would this case perform better than the one which I have now: GIGABYTE 3DAurora??

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not so easy to modify cases designed in that manner, as normal windowless side panels for a start are far easier to mod. Ultimately it's no real upgrade from your Aurora at all.

17. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I do like the NZXT TEMPEST though, for cooling and looks...

18. DHua

DHua Regular member

Thank you sammorris. I guess I will be buying the Q9300 then.

19. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Please shrink that image or post a direct link to it, this is screwing up the page. BTW, there are rules against displaying these kind of large images.

Thank you.

20. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member