1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

With the NZXT Tempest and the Antec Twelve Hundred, will it fit my 8800gtx graphics card in without a problem??

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, I've seen that very card in both those cases. Be advised you will have to play around with the top hard disk bay a little.

3. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Not in the Antec 1200 though?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't know, you still do in the Nine Hundred. I can't remember if the Twelve Hundred is any longer, or just taller.

5. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Yeah the twelve Hundred is about 2 inches longer. Just looking at your profile, where do I find your specs?, its ok i found them!.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Sam, In that one pic on your profile (15591.jpg), whats the case on the left??

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

an Antec Nine Hundred, now superseded by the Lexa Blackline for noise reasons.

8. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I think Antec addressed the noise problem in the 1200, have a look at this video review:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3MNAQLuIQ

Anything would be better than the noise box I have at the minute! 3DAurora's are not the most quiet of machines!.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They haven't changed the design, so they can't have solved the noise problem. The dust filters will help, but the way the hard disks are installed is the same and is an inherently flawed design.

10. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Well I think I would be happy with the noise from the 1200, my system right now is very noisy, and going by that video of the Antec you cant hear it until its upto medium fans speed!.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Low fan speed has always been quiet. It's not the noise of the fans that bugged me, as you can easily slow them down, it's the fact that the noise of the hard drives penetrates right through.

12. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I should be ok then, I only have one HD, rest are external...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hi Guys,
    I've been fooling around with the replacement CPU Intel sent me and have it overclocked to 3.704GHz @1.456v. Since that's well under the 1.50v limit, It should be good. Actually I'm going to set it back to 3.552GHz as I just got a phone call from the Lady that's buying it. She wants it ready for the 27th, so I'll finally be able to order the components for my New AMD Build and get my Monitor repaired!

CPU Atithmetic
    [​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth
    [​IMG]

Multi-Media
    [​IMG]

CPUZ
    [​IMG]

SuperPi
    [​IMG]

Sorry that there's no CPUZ Validation, but the Validation hasn't worked for months! The last I heard is that CPUZ is being managed by XtremeSystems, but when you go to the link XtremeSysyems provide, it just times out!

Russ

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

hi does anyone here have a 4850 and 3dmark06 (full) just fitted an akasa vortexx neo to my 4830, and just want some comparison on the performance.

ran 3dmark 06 1680 x 1050 4AA optimal filtering and these were the results, i know the cpu held it back but still quite impressed wih performance in general :)especialy compaired to my 3870 lolol what a waste

[​IMG]

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really consider my HD3870 a waste, it's the quietest graphics card I've ever owned, and it didn't perform that badly. What is a waste is the crappy third party cooler I tried to fit to it destroying it, the fact that I lost money on RMA'ing a faulty one, and that I still haven't managed to sell the surviving example.

ck: your score is a little on the low side, but I can't remember exactly how 1680x1050 4xAA affects systems with single GPUs. Can you run it at 1280x1024 no AA Optimal (default) and score then?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

They could have been better just had alot of issues, didnt like AA or AF, microstutter was a problem too with it.

now this akasa cooler works brilliantly, vents out the back like the old 3870 cooler, dropped idle temp to 30ºc and max's at 43 after hours of cod4, at £17 from overclockers was a snip :eek:) even with the fan on it running full tilt its barely audiable too, really pleased with the temps as my case is a quiet case and the airflow is not upto that of a gaming case. both front and rear fans running at 7v, one is the hush and the other is a nexus so at those speeds probably only pushing 35 cfm?? oh yeh have 80mm hole cut in the side with fan mesh on over the pci slots, not that its needed now lol :eek:)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Microstutter was a big problem with FEAR, but not really for much else to my recollection unless you used crossfire. The AA performance was the pits though.
    The case you have isn't as bad as people make out. You can get away with surprisingly little airflow in a lot of cases. I used to use horrible Silverstone FM121 fans that didn't go silent at anything less than a crawl, so I ran all three of my 120mm fans at 450rpm (bear in mind I only had one of the two 80mm fan slots filled at that time as well, and that 80mm fan ran <1000rpm). System still ran well enough, even with a passive graphics card, an X1900XT too, I kid you not.

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

[​IMG]

thats the stock 3dmark o6 run.

cod4 used to suffer really bad with microstutter too, always came at the crucial moment too lol.

Have you had issues with the 8.12 catalyst. causes a hell of a lot of problems for most people, thus why im running 8.10 as there wasnt a driver for the 4830 in 8.11

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I get a BSOD every week or two, and when I restart my screen is at 640x480 res. As soon as I log on, it changes back to 2560x1600 - it never leaves 32-bit colour mode.
    Not best impressed, but it isn't often enough to cause me to downgrade and lose its better CF performance.
    I don't recall having too many issues in COD4, but it's the game I spent ages tinkering with to get the best crossfire performance.

That score is relatively adequate. HD4800s score very badly in 3dmark06, an HD4870 is about equals with an 8800GTS G92 at stock. (Yeah, I know).

20. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

well off to the bank tomorrow for an extension on my loan, so will be upgrading to phenom II 940 be, they clock easy to 3.7 stock vcore, and 3.8 with a tiny bit extra, will get another 4830 and cooler, still deciding on mobo. the crossfire performance of the 4830's is astounding right up close to the 4870 x2 at higher resolutions good match for the high end nvidia cards :)

watching the ticker for 3dmark 06 the phenom II's with 4870x2 are hitting 22000 :eek:)