1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

overclocking headroom, plus to allow for another 4830, plus its cheaper than the Hx 620 at novatech lol

Want to keep the my 520 in current comp so i can play over lan when my mates up. dont really think it would be upto the newer system.

even if the hx 520 would run it it would still come to £347.27

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Headroom? It's cheaper than the HX620 because it's not modular, but really, a VX550 would have done. I use an overclocked quad core and an HD4870X2 on an HX520, and it doesn't even get noisy, let alone stressed. This is because despite these components (and 3 HDDs) my PC only uses 400W under full load, plenty of headroom before the limit of 520, realistically about 560.

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

just went through it on extreme powersuply calculator with phenom at 3.9 allowing for 1.4 (1.5 is the max recommended for the chip) the 2 gfx cards 2 hd's dvd writer it comes out as 510w recommended psu

so maybe a 620 psu is more suited if i allow for full 1.5 @ 4 ghz it recommends 521w psu

Not that i would ever pump that much through it lol 3.8 is probably where I would stay, but if I get hooked tweaking the 1.5v vcore is possible lol, looks like water cooling if i get to that point though lol

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The extreme PSU calculator is very over-zealous. I'm pretty sure I'm meant to have an 800W PSU according to that. Unfortunately the only accurate test I've found is to compare real world results and take some tests of your own.

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

It does allow for everything at once being utilised to about 95% So it would be a very rare day if that happened. But its a safe starting point to work back from :)

However if I manage to get the full loan im asking for 2 4870x2's could come into the equation plus a 26"+ monitor lol

got to allow for my tat to get finished as well and thats around 500 to complete my back :eek:|

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And well beyond. Everything at 100% wouldn't generate anywhere near that much power.
    Only a 26" monitor for two 4870X2s? Shameful, you can only get 2560x1600 on a 30" :)
    In all seriousness though, don't buy two 4870X2s, Quad crossfire only scales in about 2 games, and it's unnecessary for the vast majority of them.
    On top of this, two 4870X2s won't fit in most boards without water cooling, as the stock coolers conflict with a lot of southbridge coolers.

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I put 26" + as could be bigger, it all depends on funds left over have to book the tat first, cos im not having my back heal in the summer lol itchy itchy.

GA-MA790X-DS4 looks like it could cope with 2 4870x2's as I wont really need any other cards in the system. but I get your point, might be worth sticking to 2 4830's for now, next gen cards will be here by the end of the year so might be worth holding some funds back incase.

Anyway I better call it a night, I can feel my better half's eyes burning into the back of my neck lol Night all

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Night then!
    Two 4830s will be more than enough for you, especially if you get something other than a 30" PC monitor. If you're not super rich, quad graphics is the first thing to cross off the list.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Quite sure! A lot of the initial tests shown from various sites used the OBG when testing. Some were also done with Hybrid CrossFire as well. It didn't seem to cause problems AMD specifically says that since the video speed can be set independent of and separate from the overclock, it's no problem!

Russ

10. spamual

spamual Guest

Sam lots of boards can take 2 stock 4870 x2s. Even some m-atx ones (looks at dfi).

If you are going down the dual x2 route, they will need a hell of alot of CPU power (i7) but as Sam says 2 x2s arnt work it, IMO I'd take 2/3 gtx285/260 respectively.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: Why, have you tried? I would have thought mine could, but real life told me otherwise.
    Three GTX280s or 285s would be a better plan than two X2s as the performance still stacks (two GTX280s would be a waste of time, hardly any better than an X2 anyway, and three GTX260s is pointless, they're lack of memory means they still fall flat on their face at 2560x1600), but for SLI, you need i7. No way in hell I'd ever recommend an nforce.

12. spamual

spamual Guest

I have had my x2 in top and bottom slot no problems. The grx295 beats the x2 in most games so why wouldn't Sli gtx 285s?

I have yet to hear a bad thing about the 780a chipset, and soon to be released is a new 980a chipset. Asus have presented their boards for it, and iicr so did gigabyte.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Maximus II formula isn't most motherboards. Very few boards use that chipset heatsink design.
    Also, the reason why you wouldn't use two GTX285s is because they cost £650. For 30% better performance than a £340 HD4870X2. Even rich people have limits.
    The 780a chipset is relatively new, and we didn't think the 780is were bad when they first came out, why take the risk? AMD and Intel's chipsets are superfluous.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  14. spamual

spamual Guest

umm 780i was 680i..... the 780a has been out a while.

and yes, most people that will get dual X2s will get brilliant boards. and im sure the good board makers arent dumb enough to make boards that can support 2 or 3 of the top gfx cards.

the thing is he wanted 2 4870x2s, and 2 gtx 285s cost less than that. i didnt say get 2 gtx285s over a 4870x2. that would be stupid!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

780i was 680i? I don't follow, sorry.
    Neither the X38-DS4 or X48-DS4 can support two HD4870X2s as they use the same chipset, I'm not sure it's something every board manufacturer considers.
    I'll be honest, if he wanted two HD4870X2s, he'd be better off getting two GTX295s instead. More expensive but there's far more value per pound/dollar/whatever than two GTX285s.
    All things considered however, unless he uses 2560x1600 none of these choices are remotely realistic. One HD4870X2 is ample for 1920x1200.

16. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

I have a Gigabyte P35 DS3R

Core 2 Duo E4400
    4gigs of ram

For a year I ran my cpu at 3.00GHZ. Every 2 weeks It would lose it and go to default. Finally a friend suggested upping the voltage. It worked for a month or so and then it failed. Particularly when I installed windows 7 :p dont know if thats related. I cleared cmos, updated bios, memtested my ram, switched ram around. Wont Overclock anymore.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Use spamuals system of resetting the bios, it always works for him. Got a tooth ache? Reset the bios and it will go away. Ok maybe not but it's worth a try to set everything to default. Are you checking temperatures or looking for a failing cooling system? More info equals more responses.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LMAO. I think I am said friend, and he's already tried updating the BIOS a few times, as it was definitely outdated, so far though by the looks of things, to no avail.

19. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Well I have recently flashed bios. And no heat problems, actually really cool.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was talking about resetting the bios not flashing it but if you've flashed it then it's probably been reset.

This is an uncomplicated issue. Either you have a hardware issue or a bios and software issue. If your system was overclocked too high but seemed to work well over time. It could have been at the same time writing corrupted data to your hard drive that will over time cause issues. Have you considered a Windows reinstall? If that doesn't work then you probably have a failing piece of hardware.