1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EWOcelot,
    The E4400 wasn't the best overclocker of the Allendale series, even with it's higher multiplier. For the most part, it didn't overclock as well as the E4300 did. A number of those reached a 100% OC to 3.6GHz and higher! My E4300 ran at 3.375GHz for about a year until I bought the E6750. I sold the E4300 to someone here at AD! As far as I know it's still running!

Russ

2. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

yeah it was a cheap proc even at the time when I bought it. I was thinking of getting a Q6600 soon anyways. Your advice though, Should I get the Q6600 or get dual channel 4 gig ram?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EWOcelot,
    IMO, I would pick the Q6600. I'm sure the low memory prices will be around longer then the processor will be!

Russ

4. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Well I finally went for the Antec Twelve Hundred case!, I figured cooling is far more important for me than noise issues. Having said that I have to say Im very impressed with how quiet it can run with the stock fans, you only really get to hear them when you have all the fans on high. The case also fitted my 8800gtx without a problem and had plenty of room to spare!. The potential for modding this case is endless!, you have plenty of room to work in and the cable management is excellent. I think its pretty future proof aswell!.

I did have abit of a cafuffle though after I got all the guts into the case!. I had just finished all the cable management and thought it be a good time to turn it on. Guess what?, it didnt work!, oh no I thought!, a dodgy case!. Luckily it wasnt the case but the PSU that had gone. So I went and got a new one "Vantec iON 2+ 600w" PSU. I'm blaming the wife for my PSU screwing up as I left her to clean it before I put it into the new case!lol! :p (Only Joking Jess!, thanx for the new PSU Babes!).

My next purchase will be a LCD bay device which takes up 2 bay slots at the top of the case. There is this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...h_Screen_LCD_Monitor_A2413-03.html?tl=g34c141

But I dont like how it flips up. I would much rather have it just taking up 2 bay slots. Can anyone suggest something better?, the screen has to be 2bay slots and able to display my system temps and fans speeds...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. Dont laugh guys/gals. I know my GPU is a little behind the times, but i'd like to see about overclocking it. Most of you know how I am, and like to learn as much as possible. I LOVE tackling new techniques! HECK... if my 5200 athlon is overclockable, I wouldnt mind that too... but first the GPU.
    Whats the best way to overclock an Nvidia 8600GT (ASUS)? I know I could google this, but most of you guys/gals I trust, and have become rather aquainted with several members of afterdawn. What catalyst???...do you use, software, etc. What do you guys/gals trust for overclocking the GPU???

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

old...LOL. As I said, I love learning new tasks. Besides, I wanna play with the system anyway before my next build. An ATI tool will work on Nvidia cards???
    Yah... I know my 5200 is a lost cause, MY BROTHERS PRETTY IMPRESSED :D Infact, im gonna pickup the PhenomII before too long. As well as the 790GX gigabyte board. Though by the time im ready, there may be something better, we'll see :)
    Heck, the Phenom may be nothing compared to a Tesla processor with cuda from what I read. :) I may be exagerating, If im mistaken I apologize. But it sounds VERY promising.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a bit unfair. The 5200+ can be overclocked a little in the right board. Unfortunately I wouldn't consider your board 'the right board'.

9. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

The ATI tool works with nVidia cards no problem, I've overclocked my 8800gtx before with it. i7 is my next processor...

Download it, have a play and see what you think.

Best regards,

Sam

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The grand irony is that while it works with nvidias of the Geforce 8 generation, it doesn't support new ATI cards like the HD4800s, as the last update is over a year old.

11. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Thats why i said its not worth overclocking lol. I agree about the MB though Sam.

Regards,

Sam

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeedy, LOL. Ive poked around in my bios several times. It doesnt appear to be EVEN CLOSE to an overclockers need. Basically everything is locked. The ram will give me a manual selection, THATS IT. no voltage regulation. Im so friggin stupid. I jumped into this build. Dont try and say oh... your just a newb, because as forest gump would say, "stupid is, as stupid does" So there for I am stupid for jumping into this build.
    So theres no real software utility to bump the CPU? Or is windows based cpu increases frowned upon? Dont get me wrong, I wish the bios/board would allow it. I almost wonder if an upgraded bios would!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sheeny, I apologize. How thoughtless of me. THANK YOU for the link. Saved me a bit of time. :D

14. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

No probs mate, anytime. You could also try nVidia nTune but IMO its not as good as the ATI.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

CoolBits works well too!

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well... it was saying something about driver signing. Im running windows 7 by the way (64bit). I think I could have continued, but didnt. I got the same error with Riva tuner. Continued with that one though. WOW WOW, rather technical stuff. Im almost intimidated by some of it. I realize given time, i'll be breezing through it though. Im gonna give the ati tool another shot. Not much of a gamer, but I love taking on new challenges. It makes the old challenges both easier, and trivial, if you know what I mean. And besides, ive got this Gears of war not 2 feet from me itching to install, LOL. I'd like to give that another shot. I only bought it because somebody HIGHLY recommended it. It seems like I read that my card will handle MOST modern games at atleast medium settings...so if I overclock...

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ATI Tray Tools does not work in Vista 64. ATITool does but is featureless for 4800s. RivaTuner is the only program I've got anything useful out of in Vista64 (OC and Fan speed) and I use GPUZ for monitoring.
    ck: there were lots of glitches in 8.12, but 9.1 is now out.

19. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

No one bothered to comment on me getting the Antec 1200!, How Rude!lol

IMO, this is without doubt the best case out there, the only thing I could say bad about it is the weight, its a BIG BOY!.

Regards,

Sam

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, this is an overclock forum :) I just looked at it and im jealous!!! VERY nice case. Sharp, big, looks like everything I could want! A little spendy, but it looks like its worth it. My next case I would like something that big. Maybe bigger!

Sorry about your PSU trouble. VERY irritating. They need to try harder to make better PSU's! thats arguably the heart of the machine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009