1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like the 1200, but I still can't get over it's cruddy hard drive enclosures. If Antec used a better hard drive mounting system, it'd be a very attractive case.

2. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Sam,

Whats wrong with the Antec HD enclosures?, I dont hear any noise coming from them at all. I think on my old Aurora the HD enclosures were worse because they were mounted the other way around. Have a look at the bottom picture:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=810

They were also right in front of the only intake fan on the case, so no airflow was coming in from anywhere apart from the side meshing(thats if you used the side meshing!).

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not the noise, it's the terrible install procedure. It's fiddly and time consuming. Changing the front fans is far worse though, that's a nightmare. With an NZXT Lexa the former job can be done in about 30-40 seconds, and the latter about 2 minutes, versus 4-5 minutes and an hour.

4. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Im abit confused now, I just had a go at taking one of the fans out and it took no long than two minutes. All I did was take the side panel off, undid the screw of the bay i want to slide out, the 3 tray bay holding the fan just pops out from the front. All i did then was slide the fan out...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps they've changed the system. It didn't look like it from the pictures I've seen, but it was vry fiddly with the 900. The process was pretty much as you described it, but very time consuming (the main problem was the feed for the speed control switch through its channel in the side)

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ah yeah, that brings me back to my original question about bay devices, I want to be able to control 5 fans at least from the front panel. On the antec, you have to go round the back to change the speed of the two rear fans and the big boy on top. I dont like that idea so I'm going to get a fan controller for the front, but which one!?, oh and I dont mind it taking up 2 drive bays either, in fact I would prefer it cos it looks kinda funky!

Cheers,

Sam

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use a fan controller with LEDs so bright they're not really suitable for a case with no cover (Sunbeam Rheobus) but it's a good controller at least.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I've been noticing a number of cases with a plastic mount that the fan snaps into so you don't have to fight with removing the front cover, and fighting to get at the screws when changing or adding a front fan.

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah that's been in use for years, the downside of it is greatly increased vibration.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    My thoughts exactly. Them little Booger Bears need to be tight. One slightly loose fan screw can do the same thing. I've tried the Silicone mounts, and while there's no noticeable vibration, there's this annoying buzz!

Russ

11. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello everyone.

I have a temp question and an OCing one. My room usually sits at around 76f or 25c its winter time by me right now. What is the variance in temps for the cpu to surrounding temp. Like if my room is at 25c then my cpu should be somewhere around 35 or so i would think correct me if im wrong. Cause right now if i put her at 3.6 she stays around 39-40c and if i go to 3.8 she sit at 41 to 42c. So is this ok? Im thinking i might have to replace my fans.

Now for the OCing question.When i go to 3.8 i cant get my memory past 846. I tried to get as close to its rated speed 1066. I put it at 1058 and the system wont boot bumped the voltage up to 2.0v and still nothing. If im at 3.6ghz i can put the memory up to 1066 with the volts at 1.8. Is it my memory that is holding me back. When my cpu is at 3.6 i can only go to 1066. The next lowest setting i can set it too is 1128. With all different voltages and nothing. So at 3.6 i can run the memory at its rated speed no more and at 3.8 i can only run the memory at 846. Please help me understand this and is it just the memory.

Thanks in advance for your help

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

If the Front Side Bus on the CPU is 800 MHz, that can be a problem because it's expecting 800MHz memory. What motherboard are you using? What is the CPU? Once I know the FSB of the CPU and what motherboard, I can take a look and see what you have that affects that. It's too much to go through every possibility without that information. Some motherboards will allow it to run at or close to 1066, and some won't. It all depends on whether you can lock the memory at 1066 or not!

Let me know and I'll try to help you.

Russ

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Im running a gigabyte Ga-EP45-UD3P motherboard and my cpu is the e8400.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You should be able to set the memory multiplier in the setup to 2.50 and the memory will run at 1055. That's as close as you can get. In reality, 11MHz won't change anything, so don't worry about it as you don't want to be trying to overclock 1066MHz memory anyway, as it's only 800MHz memory to begin with, overclocked to 1066MHz.

Russ

15. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

if i go that route would i have to do anything to the timing. i have it set at 5-5-5-15 what the ram specs are. Also do i set the strap that gets me close to that speed or do i leave it on auto?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It should run just fine at those timings!

Russ

17. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

k thanks going to give it a try.

18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Did not take cant get the memory up. Have to stay at 3.6ghz 1066mhz ram. I can go all the way to 4.0ghz but the memory wont go past 846mhz.
    I wanted to put the pc at 3.8 but if i cant get the memory to run at least to its rated speed im going to stay at 3.6. Maybe later on when i start my media pc ill by a better brand of memory and put these stix in the media pc and use better memory on this pc.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A lot of 1066mhz memory does not run at its rated speed. Crucial doesn't, and a lot of OCZ doesn't either. I thought Patriot would, but maybe not. However, what memory multiplier are you using? Ofren your only options leave you with 840 or 1100, and 1100 is definitely too much.

20. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Im not hundred percent sure but when i put the cpu up to 3.8 I tried to run the memory at the setting that put the memory at 1058mhz. Which i thought would work but no. The only other settings i can get is lowest is 846mhz and highest is 1128. I actually got it to boot at 1128 but it was not stable. Even with a voltage increase would not take.