1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello everyone. So i started playing around in the bios and this is what i was able to get to.

3.8ghz 423x9 1.24v had to bump the volts up one notch from stock.

My memory is currently set to this

Mch Frequency latch 333mhz
    System Memory Multiplier 2.40b
    Memory frequency 1015mhz

And its all stable!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So does this look good.

It figures after going crazy figuring this board out Anandtech just put up a review on the same board i have yesterday lol..

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I was overclocking my gpu a bit more and running 3dmark06 in between to check for artifacts when I noticed that my SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores doubled after raising the core clock and memory clock by 10mhz. I thought that was a bit odd so I checked the settings and ran the test 4 more times, each time getting roughly the same score. What do you guys make of that? I'm not very familiar with either OCing or 3dmark but seeing scores double after only a 10mhz increase is sounds very odd to me.

Parker

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They shouldn't double. They will however improve with CPU speed, as modern cards are bottlenecked in 3dmark06 by the CPU. In all but Canyon Flight, I get within 5% of the score I get at default 1280x1024 using 2560x1600 with 4xAA and 16xAF. That's how much the CPU is bottlenecking the system, and it's a 3.87Ghz Quad core.

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

If your quad core is bottle necking your system I can only imagine what my dual core at 3.33Ghz is doing to mine lol. Although I did raise the FSB by 5Mhz right before the scores doubled they really shouldn't have doubled like you said. There must have been a processes running in the background that I didn't notice for my first few runs of 3dmark06 as that's the only way I can explain the large increase.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I lost 1000 marks from having a few IM clients open.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey guys, I got a little ahead of myself, and overclocked FSB 10 Mhz. Seems to be stable. But, im curious what you guys recommend for stress testing. My temperature doesnt seem to have gone up either. Couple more bumps, and it'll be running at 3.0!!! But I dont want it creating errors :( Which utility/software is best for discovering errors???

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...im in deep doo doo now, LOL. It seems to have locked up on the Gigabyte splash screen. Gives me multiple options, NONE work. Restarting the system has NO effect. Since my last post I bumped to 220mhz. Seemed to be ok. Then I read somewhere that if you bump the FSB you need to drop the HT. So I did, From 1000 to 800(one notch), and I also at the same time bumped the FSB to 230 for my desired 3.0Ghz(close anyway)! Well... I never got to see it. Guess im running the CMOS jumper or simply pulling the bat. Which ever I see first! Any thoughts on the above MUCH appreciated. :)

Ok.. its back up and running. Seems to be really stable with a slite bump. 210 FSB. Infact it might be MORE stable than stock. Well... I dont know where to go beyond a voltage increase. Does my problem sound like thats what it needs, to surpass what ever limit it has? Hmmm, from what ive read from others tweaks, 1.3v could be kinda low, huh? Well...volatage increases are where my TEMPS are gonna increase, RIGHT? If so, im gonna wait til I get a good cooler, and a stress/error detector. I dont wanna be running at higher clocks when it could be causing errors! Any thoughts MUCH appreciated :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Remove all but one stick of RAM and restart the system.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That simple huh. Well, I already ran the CMOS jump. Looks like a got a con for this board too. I dont like the location soooo close to the GPU. So far thats the only CON though, :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    From what you said before, there is a definite problem with your cooling. I don't have any where near those temps running Orthos. I can tell you this, turn the frequency back to 210 and leave it before you hurt something on the board. Plenty of time for that, when you get a Kuma! I just figured out that I may have to dump my whole XP install and start over. I had a bad IDE round cable go bad, and it's affecting other things now. Things that ran fine before, won't run now! The Drive ickn of the last ODD would disappear! If you put a disk in anyway, the program stops responding and using task manager to terminate the program would leave only the background and my mouse pointer on the screen. You could move the mouse but not do anything with it. No menus pop up when you R click. Reboot and the drive is back and playing, again! I put a brand new 80 wire cable on it and it's worked ever since. Both drives are going back! The quiet one is just too loud! The other one? ARRGGHHHH!! I don't want them! It may be a problem but Newegg likes to keep me happy! I want something else like the AD-7220! I "will" get a pair, but they will not be the Liteys!

Russ

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Great oc at low volts...I've seen those boards at 4.4ghz at 1.312volts stable all day...What's your Batch# on that cpu? If I bought another Gigabyte board it would be the UD3P that's one of the best oc'ing board they made yet:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm afraid i'll be unable to get the batch number. The box the CPU came in is long gone. See... I buy alot of equipment online, among other things, and boxes pile up. I burn every other weekend. But anyway, if there is another way of retrieving it, im all ears, LOL.

Hey russ, When you say Kuma, you do mean the Quad phenomII right? Cause I was under the impression that a Kuma was a Dual core similar to the Phenom architecture.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7 I've only touched on some of the posts here about your OC'in adventure but have you increased your cpu voltage yet? A little bump won't hurt anything and I'm sure a little search on the cpu you have will shed light on the MAX voltage you can put it thru. You may have to check on your RAM voltage as well along with your FSB if it's possible. ;)

Another thing to look at is using your BIOS to check your temps. I'm sure there's a health tab somewhere. :p

As always good luck!!!

...gm

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...I think ultimately it COULD happen! But this processor and MSI board are going to my sis :) So I dont wanna torture it too much, LOL. I just wanted to learn a couple things before I pick up the PhenomII. Thanks for your input GM :D Something tells me the Phenom'l handle ALOT of what i'll dish out to it. It'll be ALL board faults. It probably does need a volt bump, but I just ran Orthos, and watched the temp level at 60C PEAK, and without proper cooling, I wont even LOOK at the voltage bump, LOL. In my opinion, 60C is just too warm for a device entrusted with handling complex calculations, LOL. :D

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Based on Transistor count it has to be a two core Phenom II. Something they can sell cheap to turn a total loss into some sort of a gain. It's also the only Dual Core that's an AM2+ chip. I'm going to reload everything tomorrow and get the right boot drive going instead of the 250! That bad cable I had for the ODDs could have messed up something! I'm going to leave the speed where it is and Install XP-Pro on it all over again! I want to change the partitioning of the boot drive too and make the C drive smaller using the Seagate 160! The DeathStar makes too much full time use noise!

Russ

16. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

It seems overclocking the gpu has caused my system to lose the restart ability. It will shut down, run and start fine; but it will get hung up if told to restart. Doesn't really bother except gives me the feeling the system isn't entirely stable.
    I'm not sure RivaTuner is setting the speeds properly as sometimes the new core clock and memory clock speeds aren't reflected in the monitor. Do you guy's think the speeds aren't changing or just the monitor isn't reflecting the change?

Thanks for the help,

Parker

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3D clock speeds (which are what you overclock) only show up under a full screen program, the only way you'd see them is to run a program like GPUZ to log in the background and check the graph when you close the 3D program.

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks sam; I'll start logging with GPUz to make sure it's running at the desired speed.

Parker

19. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

@Bigwill68

My batch on my cpu is Q832A366

By the way thanks for that info helped tons as you can see.I still think i should be able to get to run my memory at its rated speed. When i start my media pc build i will go for a pair of corsair dominators and try them out and see.I see ppl have gotten good results with them.
    After reading everything about this motherboard and its reviews yes i am quite happy about the purchase i've made. This board definitely is a bang for your buck board. I bought it on sale for 119.99 and that is a steal. Even if it wasn't on sale i still would have paid the 139.99 for this board.Made my first build very satisfactory and not too stressful. Only the memory but i blame that on the patriots not the board.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

thanks I'll look into that batch number of yours and see how it's doin amongs other boards in the oc'ing capability at low volts as...
    I have seen the Q830a and above are doin much better as the number grows my Q820a is maxed out at 4.5ghz at 1.344v...stable... I would'en take it no futher but..I dropped it down to 4.0ghz at 1.312v stable no reason to run it that high all the time at 4.5...
    i can only tell the diffrent in the sandra Mip tests...
    it seems that if get right batch number and well matched mb you got it but sometime it don't work out like that all parts don't work well together it's a luck of the draw...lol in the Oc'ing field but some people get crazy with the volts and burn them up fast...Not I belive me it's temping to do..I done it once with my E6750 pushed it pass 1.5v to reach 3.8ghz done stable but hurryed and got it back down but...I know..I shorted it's life just by doin that for alittle while leave well enough alone it rest at 3.0 now for now on...:)also..I found they sell the (B) chips across sea's Asia and Europe so yours over there should be Q832B keep your eye out for that...I don't know what is the big difference between A and B is the E6600's was the same way:(