1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Use the 2005 version of Sandra. It's more linear and is easier to see on screen. Most of us use it for that reason. I personally have more faith in it's accuracy and it's easier to see differences with just small bios changes than it is with the newer version. My biggest gripe with the 2007 version is the dramatic change in MIPS. MIPS should be just that, MIPS!

To do the Image so that it comes up on screen, you have to do a couple of things. In the second list down select the first one for forums. After you paste it you have to hit end. Backspace 6 times and then use the arrow key to move the cursor to the left one space. Backspace out IMG and type img in it's place. using the left arrow key go all the way over to and change it to small letters img. Then using the left arrow key and move left 4 spaces so the cursor is just in front of the [ and backspace the rest of the line out until the [ is at the left margin. They will then display properly without someone having to open them manually. I've deliberately been very specific as to what to do with the URL, but you will get the hang of it real quick!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know how to attach an image, I've done it dozens of times, but those images are a bit big to read, and with the silly contrast issues that 2007 has, I decided just to let you see them full size. Remember the issues we had with that before?
    [​IMG]
    I'm aware of the annoying differences between Sandra07 and Sandra05, unfortunately at that time I could only seem to find 07. I'll have a look for 05 and report back.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Just go to Google and type "sisoft sandra 2005 download" and you'll get it!

Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, pretty obvious one really. I'll do that shortly.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

DiExMach,

Don't know how well off your funds are but here's a very good deal that will get you into a decent dual core for a very reasonable price! It includes a 160GB S-ATA 300 hard drive, 512MB DDR400, a DVD 16x Burner, CPU cooler Intel D840 CPU and a 400 Watt Power Supply. The Asus MB will let you use your present video card. You can't find a better deal than that, and no sales tax to boot!
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...5-1084 C&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1193GB

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmm, not that I'd trust the Power supply. It even says "sizzling" in the review!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    If I didn't already have a dual core now, I would buy it. I would probably change the PS because of my OC and extra drives, but everything else is solid name brand stuff! In my opinion a great buy at $299.99. I'll even ask for the "crowy Seal of Approval" for it! LOL Hey crowy, help me out here Please!!! Check this out and tell me that it wouldn't get your seal of approval:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...5-1084 C&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1193GB

It meets all the dude's needs as well, better than anything else I've come across.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah bar the PSU it looks good.

10. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    That package deal is at a dynamite price,
    but I'm afraid the psu might end up imitating a stick of dynamite!!!
    I'm with sam on the psu.
    Did the calculations on the psu calculator and as it stands that setup is going to be drawing around 404 watts!! Thats without adding any extra pci cards/extra drives, or doing any overclocking.It's gonna be working overtime from day one.If the psu is one of the cheap but reasonable quality one's,it might last a while,but if not,
    a pyrotechnics display may be in order.
    I'll give it the seal but I'd like to see a better psu in there.

[​IMG]

11. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,having the memory at 2T will result in a performance decrease of ~3%.Only use 2T if your o/clocking the hell out of it and the memory becomes unstable.
    Try this:
    set the HTT speed at 250.Set the multi to 10.Set the LDT/FSB ratio to 4x.Leave your memory at 1 to 1 with the CPU(Your memory will be running at DDR500)Dont worry you won't hurt it,remember my old value select could hit DDR580 @ 3.1v[​IMG]Leave the memory at default timings and set the command rate to 1T but give it an extra .1v for now.I'm not sure what other settings you have in your bios but leave everything else on auto or default.Try booting with these settings for now and let me know how you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm a little reluctant to up the memory voltage any, for fear of what may happen. This isn't an experimental machine for me, I will need to use this system for quite some time, if the RAM fails on me within a year due to that I shan't be impressed. :) How would i set the multiplier to 10x?

13. crowy

crowy Guest

In your bios you should have an option to change the cpu/fsb ratio.Change it from 11x to 10x.Don't worry about upping the voltage on your memory for now just leave it at default.If you cant boot at 250x10 drop the HTT back to 240 and try again,if still no good try 230 etc.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right. Is there any reason I'm to drop the multiplier? I'll gladly do it, but it will obviously take a much higher memory speed to attain the same level of performance.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As theone requested:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    No it won't.Remember your default multi is 11x200=2.2ghz.LDT/fsb multi is at 5x giving you 200x5=1000mhz (HTTx2=2000mhz)HTT speed.Your memory @ 1 to 1 with the cpu frequency is 200mhz x2(400mhzDDR)
    Putting the multi at 250x10=2.5ghz.Lower the LDT multi to 4x = 250x4 gives you 250x4=1000mhz x 2 =2000mhz...The same.Your memory if left at 1 to 1 with your cpu will be at 250 mhz x 2=500mhz(DDR500)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really follow that I'm afraid! I tried the following with these results (all conducted with HT at 4x)

Previous OC: 218mhz x11 - 2.6V

230mhz x11 - 2.6V: unsuccessful (Reset at Windows XP logo)
    230mhz x10 - 2.6V: unsuccessful (Stopped at end of POST)
    230mhz x10 - 2.7V: unsuccessful (Crashed at end of POST)
    220mhz x11 - 2.7V: successful (but barely any more than the last one)
    This is without changing memory timings, but the tests result were all unbootable, not just unstable.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  18. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,ok.
    look in your bios for the memory divider.
    Might say DRAM ratio option or something similar.
    Change it to 180mhz(or 9/10)
    try at 220 HTT x11.Leave your memory at 2.7v.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK. AT this stage is it worth changing the core voltage to 1.4V? I know I gave you grief about that time and time again, but if it will help a lot, and if it's a safe voltage I may consider it, seeing as the higher end X2s do operate a that voltage do they not?

20. emachine

emachine Guest

samoris awesome pc. What size is that moniter? And why is there 2?