1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As a matter a fact, IT IS. I left it alone til I could ask one of you experts about it :D What is your opinion on that? Could that have interfered with the overclock!!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, Cool and Quiet.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ahh, I see. Amd employs cool and quiet while intel uses something called speedstep or EIST.

Could it effect the overclock?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I turned Cool and Quiet off and I see no difference in the numbers! I would imagine it depends on how hot the system is. I'm only running at 28-29C at the moment so I think it has less effect with mine, than with a hotter running computer if Cool & Quiet is turned on!

Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's merely a powersaving tool, I see no reason to turn it off really, other than knowing some older boards when they become less than stable prefer if you turn it off...

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Guys,

Big problems!, Ive done a build for my friend from work, installed everything, drivers for motherboard - grafix card etc. when i reboot the sysytem and it gets to the blue welcome screen it hangs for ages (2-3min) before going to the desktop, but theres no taskbar or icons and hangs again for 3-4min before applying settings, when the taskbar and icons finally do appear, the windows theme is grey, then after another 3min it applies the normal blue windows XP Theme...

The hard drive is still the original one from the old machine with Windows XP pro on.

Build specs:

GIGABYTE EP45-Extreme Motherboard
    Nvidia gtx295 Graphics card
    Soundblaster Value Soundcard Live
    S12 Energy Seasonic 550w PSU
    q6600 Processor
    2gig 800 G-Skill Memory
    Windows XP Pro sp3

Nothings overclocked and the CMOS is at factory default

This only started happening after I installed the LAN drivers for the motherboard, Ive tried uninstalling them and its still happening.

Any help much appreciated as always,

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Pretty strange. Myself, I would check the PSU first. When a PSU is going, strange things can happen! Then i'd probably just reinstall windows. Could be old drivers conflicting with the new. SOOO many variables!!! Thats what i'd do though.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

sheeny I'm not the best at these things but I'm sure you'd just like some sort of response atm. ;) Is there anyway you can check to see what drivers you have going? The addition of the LAN drivers shouldn't have made such a change and it all points to a "faulty" windows install. It's really just a guess at this point, well from me that is.

You're installing XP right? I would make sure you have the proper gfx drivers as well. I know for a fact that gfx drivers cause more issues than anything else I've messed with!!

Good luck to you...

....gm

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    The problem was this was an XP install from a different motherboard. I talked to him before on line, and he is going to do a fresh install of XP!

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I didnt wanna say that, because someone else did what sheeny33 has done, and didnt have a problem. Though I was really leaning that way. I seem to get corrected almost everytime I have an opinion! Thats ok though. We ALL have our own opinions. It was creaky by the way. Atleast im pretty sure it was.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It mostly depends on what the old install had for a chipset, drivers and things like that. I've successfully used the same XP installation from one MB to another where both had the 865PE chipset, but different sockets, yet ran into all sorts of problems trying to use a fresh install of XP from a P-III into a 965P motherboard. Look at all them pretty Blue screens! LOL!! I tried the same thing one time going from an Intel 965PE chipset to and nVidia chipset AMD, and all I got were blue screens! Now I always do a fresh install of any OS! It's just the wiser thing to do!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeedy. Windows 7 seemed to be ok with my slapping the new gigabyte board in(of course it got reinstalled anyway). One of my other harddrives... XP, Had MULTIPLE devices to acknowledge. 5 minutes later(roughly) it seemed to be fine. Because its a good guideline (mostly necessary), both drives were reinstalled. Plus for other reasons, it was in my best interest ;)

Once again, I love this board russ :D Ive seen my poor athlon X2 hit 61C now. Gonna have to get a new cooler pronto. I dont care if the i7 can handle 80C, over time...that just doesnt seem comfortable for any device! And im afraid of water cooling. Every device ive read reviews on, atleast one person had a leaker within a week or two. I will not, allow a cooler to pee on my board!
    since the first time ive heard of those types of coolers, ive been afraid of them! Unfortunately, air cooling, wont get an overclocker far, will it!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

actually, for the most part, CPU's have been getting to be cooler running since the first C2Ds. The same thing goes for the AMD chips. The newer ones run cooler than the older ones. I know the temps were lower going from a 4000+ single to a 4800+ dual core. They are even lower than that with the new 7750+. The new Phenom IIs and Phenom II triples should run even cooler yet! On Monday I'm going to move my two Opticals to the top two bays and install that Scythe fan I ordered that takes up the three remaining bays. It should really cool well at that point as the fan will be blowing cool air right at the Memory and the CPU cooler, with nothing in the way!

Stay Tuned!
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

yah...that sounds like a worth while setup :) When I get the case, and have a good look at it, i'll make the determination at that point. Just having a larger case with no doubt better exhaust, will/should have an effect on the cpu temp. I CANT wait to get that HAF case! Been itching to give my setup more space!

15. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I take it you mean the 932 HAF?, that along with the Antec 1200 is the best case for airflow and I can tell you now, it does drop your temps!. At least my Antec 1200 did anyway by about 10c - 15c. Dont like the red LEDs on the HAF though(Personal Pref)lol.

Russ, Thanks for the info, I havent installed XP pro yet for my friends build, hes bringing the disk round so I can do it.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sheeny33,
    That sounds good to me! I'm pretty sure once you get a fresh install of XP on it, it should be fine. I wish you could format the drive though, but if it's just a single drive with no partitions, but you would lose everything on it! If it is partitioned, I would consider moving any personal stuff or programs to the other partition and then formatting the drive!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Thats what Im doing mate, I've formatted the whole drive, and now about to install windows xp pro sp3 onto it. I'll keep you posted, over and out!

Sam.

18. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Well I did a fresh install like you said Russ, and guess what, it all works fantastic! I think because of the massive jump in chipset difference it was never going to work properly however you looked at it!, theres a big difference between the Asus P5KPL-CM and the GA-EP45-Extreme!LMAO .

Anyway I've said it a few times but it dont hurt reminding you now and again "YOUR THE MAN!" lol. Thanks for your help brother, your a true christian!.

Best Regards,

Sam

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...Im glad somebody is enjoying SP3!!! I hear nothing but turmoil regarding SP3. And I believe when it snuck on my computer a while back, it is ultimately what caused me to reinstall windwows.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've been using SP3 since before it came out officially, and it's only recent updates that had crippled XP's speed! I also reinstalled it and now I won't let certain updates in at all! I guess M$ is determined to beat XP-Pro with Vista, even if they have to cripple XP-Pro to do it!

Russ