1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I love how people do that. This: $ony, M$, $am$ung, $anyo, etc etc.
    Makes me laugh everytime. I can understand why a business goes to such lengths, to get/push their products out. Not saying I agree with it!

So...hey ru$$, LOL :D The actual service pack upgrade should be fine, but following it up with updates is not recommended???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I quite agree! But the dollar signs indicate "Greed" and "Control"! It's like those "Clowns" in Washington saying that if the cut the Big Bonus deals for the Financial boys, they might leave and go elsewhere. Well if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in right now. Once they learned how to steal and make others pay for it, they were Home Free! Let them go elsewhere! And have the Government keep a very close eye on every move they make! I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, but I knew 3 years or more ago that what these Financial Wizards were nothing but a bunch of crooks! The same goes for that bunch in Congress and the Senate. If I could figure it out, why couldn't they do it? I can answer that! Because they were too busy lining their own damn pockets, that's why!

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I understood the $ meaning. Some people cant help but become greedy. Infact some people believe it to be human nature. Money is very intoxicating. Most people would like to believe that they would never be greedy, tyrannical(LOL), etc. :)

Sorry about off topic.

Im gonna try my hand at another Overclock! :D <----VERY big grin
    Lets just see how close I can get to 3.0, Shall we!

4. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Omegaman7, Are you running Vista or XP?

Move to Australia guys, land of the lazy and not so greedy people, Im getting free money for owning 2 kids!yay!, might just have some more... will have to see the wife about that.;-)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im running both XP Pro SP2, and Windows 7 beta 32bit. 64bit made me angry LOL. Though im still not 100% sure what the heck was going on!

Well...Overclock attempt #2. And I think for now, this is all im gonna get. I tried bumping the FSB to 223 and got a STOP error (BSOD). I actually made it Through XP boot. But then I tried running speedfan, and got the error message. 220 FSB seems to be the magic number for now. Sure took it some time to cool down too. It hit 65C for an instant! Though my Side panel is off. It'd drop it atleast 5C by having it on. Cant wait to get the phenomII. Perhaps in about 2 weeks. Russ, Sam, anybody, whats your opinion on the HT frequency. I read somewhere that when overclocking FSB, its good practice to drop the HT. What are your thoughts on this?
    [​IMG]

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

oman7,

From my experience Orthos is a poor stress test; I would suggest using OCCT and linpack instead. My E6600 could pass 30min of Orthos and yet not be any where near stable and would fail OCCT and linpack within 10 minutes.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks eparker89! Appreciate the input. Any thoughts on my situation(the HT freq)? ehh... you know, I seriously doubt its having much effect if any on trying to achieve 3.0ghz! Its gotta be voltage, RIGHT? Shouldnt 1.3 be enough?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I would think about 1.35v should do it!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks russ. I noticed in the bios, despite this being a locked multi, the multiplier can be dropped. Is that simply for more fine tuning?

I'll try it right now. Then my side panel STAYS on, LOL.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ok... 2.9ghz is more stable then it was before. Voltage is now 1.35
    Now im gonna try this OCCT and linpack eparker spoke of. Other people have had success with my processor, but this board is uncharted territory, LOL. Averaging in all modes 3-5C higher. Im almost afraid to run a stress test. I'll slap the panel on and go from there. :D
    [​IMG]
    Multi is 13 by the way

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I would think that a lower multiplier would allow a higher fsb to get to the same speed for a little better throughput! I'm totally guessing that your stock multiplier is 13 1/2! If that is correct, try lowering the multi to 13 and make the fsb 231. That should give you 3,0GHz, and you can compare what you had to what you have now, if it boots!

Russ

Russ

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

In general a higher fsb gives better overall system performance. I would recommend dropping the multi to find your highest stable fsb and then raise the multi back up from there. I'm not familiar with HT but you may want to leave the frequency at stock or even drop it a bit until the desired OC is reached.

Other quick notes:

- only raise the vcore (one notch at a time) when the system is unstable
    - lower memory speed until fsb and cpu are OC
    - lock pcie/pci speeds at their default speed
    - disable cool and quiet while OC (left the intel equivalent off as I see neither a need or benefit for it)

As far as I know the only way you can hurt a cpu is from heat and voltage, so keep an eye on the temps and don't give it a crazy amount of juice. Good luck and have fun OCing ;)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I guess I might as well add my two cents on OCCT! First off I don't like it! I feel that it puts an unnatural load on things and elevates temperatures far beyond any load you may encounter, even in hard use. The funny thing is that back when I looked for 24 hour or 12 hour runs with OCCT to prove stability, only to find out that it wouldn't Fold! I also recently noticed that every one of the three CPUs in computers that were tested that way, eventually Failed! All well within the Warranty period. That's 1 3.0 GHz P4 Prescott, 1 Pentium D 940 and 1 E6750, although I helped the E6750 along considerably, by over-volting it!

Now, I use Linpack and do the recommended 5 passes or more. Seems to me, if it's good enough for Intel to use, it's good enough for me! I just don't see all that heat with OCCT with any other program that I use! I actually prefer Orthos to OCCT as it doesn't make as much heat and it's multi-threaded too!

Remember the common denominator here is heat! Remember also that "Heat is the Enemy"! The more it's avoided, the better!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...sucks to be me. My cpu literally exploded!!! Im on my backup pc posting this!!!

LOL, Did you believe it? Nah...it began booting with FSB set at 229, but locked up on XP splash screen. You know what? Im just gonna give up on this CPU. I dont wanna hurt it! It is going to my sis, or for my secondary use. Besides, if you could see my desk, you wouldnt wanna tangle with it anyway. I had to jumper the CMOS again. Not that I dont believe your Ram removal method Sam. I just know that the cmos jumper works. Quite awkward to get at on this board with a large GPU too! Thanks everyone for your help anyway. Atleast now im a little more familiar with the process :D

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I was using Orthos until a few days ago when my "Orthos" stable cpu would BSOD during the first few minutes of a game. I was able to fold and do everything else I normally do so if I never tried to play FEAR 2 it probably would've been just fine. After that I switched to Linpack and haven't had any major problems since. Linpack does make my cpu run almost as hot as OCCT does, which is a good 5-10C above anything else I've yet to see.

One of the oddest things I've come across is that unless the vcore is set to auto it's nearly impossible to get my system stable. I've had the cpu at 3.2ghz with a vcore of 1.3 (and a little higher) yet it would continuously fail linpack. Setting the vcore to auto makes the vcore fluctuate between 1.275-1.3 yet it passes Linpack everytime lol.

oman7,

Don't know the stock speed of the 5200+ but 2.8ghz isn't bad. It's as far as I went on my first OC. One of the things I love about my Asus MB is that when ever a OC fails all you need to do is restart to get a 'OC failed press F1 to enter bios' msg. Never had to use the jumper or RAM method yet.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The reason I had to CMOS Jump is because when I restart, it hangs on the Gigabyte splash screen.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

My MB will reset itself to allow me access to the bios even if it won't post. It's one of the features of Asus MB iirc.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm...thats a very nice feature. I imagine given time, all manufacturers will embrace such a feature. Too bad gigabyte obviously didnt integrate such an ability. Ehhh...no biggie. I bought this board chiefly for the phenomII support. Its one of the highest rated for the processor. Didnt hurt my wallet either. Atleast it shouldnt have. Long story.

Ehh...doesnt bother me that it cant reset. If my desk were not such a mess, clearing CMOS would only take little more than a gesture. Besides, once I get it configured right where I want it...SWEET!

Heck, as little as I know, it would not surprise me to hear that it can, given a setting within the bios.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

A lot of motherboards do something just like that. On the 790GX GigaByte it goes to a Dual Bios menu and offers you a choice, one of which is boot to the last known good configuration, and you enter the setup from there!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its given me that option once. The other time, I gave it 2 minutes and it remained stuck, on the gigabyte splash screen.