1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Im trying to get past 3.00ghz on an GB-EP45 Extreme MB and a q6600 prcessor with 2gig of 800 G-Skill RAM. A few questions as to where I set all these settings, and what settings I leave alone and what settings I bump up:

Advanced Clock Control has options to adjust CPU Clock Drive, PCI Express Clock Drive, CPU Clock Skew, MCH Clock Skew.... Not got a clue what to set this to!

Performance Enhance = Standard
    (G)MCH Freq LATCH = Auto

Do I still set the memory Multiplier as close to the Memory Frequency as possible???

All the Volages are on AUTO because there are so many of them:

CPU Vcore
    CPU Termination
    CPU PLL
    CPU Reference
    CPU Reference 2

MCH Core
    MCH Reference
    MCH/DRAM Reference
    ICH I/O
    ICH Core

DRAM Voltage
    DRAM Termination
    Channel A Ref
    Channel B Ref

I need to know what I adjust and what I leave to get overclocking with this motherboard.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A STOP error opening speedfan isn't the end of the world. Almost all DFI boards will BSOD when you open speedfan as they aren't supported.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It runs normally before OC. I simply wanted to read temp. It just happened to be the first program I ran.

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

That feature isn't a factor for me when I look at MB, in fact I didn't know it was there till my first failed OC lol. Sometimes ineed to cycle the power a couple times before it comes up though so it's stuck at the splash screen just cycle the power once to see if it comes up.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty much all boards have had this, at least with Intel chipsets. Most Gigabytes take it one stage further by even being able to recover from failed BIOS flashes. Not that I'd want to test that...

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll keep that in mind for when I get the PhenomII in a couple weeks. Should have it in 2-3weeks. Im gonna leave the athlon alone for now, LOL. I do have a future planned for it after all. I think it'll make an EXCELLENT htpc!!!

7. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

I have a question guys. I would like to know which of these settings would be a better performer.

Setting 1
    cpu 8*475
    cpu speed= 3.8
    mem strap 333
    mem speed= 950

Setting 2
    cpu 9*423
    cpu speed= 3.8
    mem strap 333
    mem speed 1015

I would think that setting 2 would be better since i can achieve better memory speed. On setting 1 all i could achieve was 950 on the memory all the rest pushed my memory past 1066 and unfortunately my wont go past 1066 its stock setting.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Setting 2 will be better as it places less strain on the chipset.

9. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

ok just checking. I figured that but when you read alot of threads all around there all about the fsb and putting it as high as possible blah blah. I like it here where yes you can go that high but that nots important its about longevity and performance thanks again.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's more to show off the board's capabilities if anything.

11. Random5

Random5 Member

Hello everybody, I am hoping you guys could give me some advice, last year, about this time of the year I built a PC with the specs below with the excellent help of some of you guys on the pc building thread. The PC has been running like a dream all year, no problems and really performing with a "more than the sum of its parts" kinda feel. However the time has come where the new games are gonna put a bit of pressure on it so i'm looking to use the overclocking potential that the system has.

First off I'm about to order a better cpu cooler, its only the stock fan at the mo i'm looking at the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme. Seem like a good choice to you guys?

I don't wanna go nuts with the cpu overclock, i've read its easy enough to get a 3.6 out of it, just jack the CPU FSB to 400MHz and its done. Just have to make sure its colled properly with a decent air cooler.

So my questions, if you would be so kind to help me, are....

Is this how simple it is with the E8400? No need to change the memory timings etc?

Can you guys think of anything else I could do to get an extra bit of grunt out of it?

OCZ Technology 2x2GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 Gold
    Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTs 512MB
    Samsung SpinPoint 320GB 7200RPM S300 16MB
    CoolerMaster Elite 330 ATX No PSU Black
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6M Cache S775 1333MHZ
    Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 Express ATX Audio Lan
    OCZ Technology StealthXStream 600W Active PFC

12. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

i have the e8400 at 3.8 atm. i also have the 120 extreme excellent cooler btw. So yes if your going to purchase that cooler its more than enough to get you through wat ever clocks you choose to do.

On another note. I could not get my cpu to 3.6 in the beginnig due to my memory settings being on auto would not take. I was told to change those settings to fit my memory speed. Once i did that i was able to hit 3.6 not problem.

So after you set to cpu to 3.6

set the performance enhance = standard

and then set the MCH Frequency latch and the memory multiplier to the setting that matches your ram speed 800mhz and you should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  13. Random5

Random5 Member

14. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

That works.

i wouldn't change the standard timing control i would leave that all on auto.and everything else below that on auto.

The robust graphics booster not sure what that does but i was able to set mine to extreme.

And the performance enhance i was able to set to turbo. Cant do extreme system wont take it.

15. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any clue how to set about overclocking a q6600 / GB-EP45 Extreme / 2gig of G-skill 800 Ram. Where do I start?, theres so many settings on motherboards BIOS I dont know where to start!. Anyway as always I much appreciate any info.

Best Regards,

Sam

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

17. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. What is a good program to use to test memory.

I currently have my memory up to 1128mhz stable so far. The voltage is at 2.0v that's .1v less than what there rated at.I need to know though if it stable no errors.

18. redice

redice Regular member

19. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Thanks for the info. Turns out it was not stable. So i backed my cpu down to 3.6 and the memory to 1080mhz an everything is peachy now.

20. awhansen

awhansen Member

Hello, this is my first time OC'ing and I was having some trouble. I did some reading, and there was a guide that involved my processor (Core2Duo E6300) and similarly timed and same Speed ram. But my motherboard is different, MSI P-965 Platinum (MS-7238) and I am having some troubles. I can't seem to change the multiplier and some of the voltages. Here is some of the basic info:
    FSB Clock: 1066MHz
    FSB: 266MHz
    Mutiplier: x6
    Memory Timing: 400MHz
    Memory Ratio: .93 (i think)
    Vcore: 1.152 V
    Vdimm: 1.90 V

Any help on how to get started would be appreciated. If I need to go you some more information, please tell me. Thank You.