1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your multiplier will actually be 7x I believe, but shows up in the system as 6 if you aren't doing anything as a power saving feature. You do not change the multiplier to overclock, you change the front side bus speed.

2. awhansen

awhansen Member

Yeah, i looked in the BIOS and it is 7, but it showed up as a 6 in CPU-Z. Is there a certain voltage that relates to how much I increase FSB speed?

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

As far as voltages are concerned, the only ones worth worrying about or even touching is your vcore and vdimm.
    Your Vdimm should match the rated voltage of your memory sticks. If it isnt now change it there.
    Your Vcore is probably at stock or less. I say less because if you have a energy saving feature which knocks down your multiplyer, it probably lowers your Vcore too. I am not familiar with MSI boards to give you specifics, just trying to help with general guidelines...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As you up the bus speed you will eventually need to increase the CPU voltage, but there's no given figure, it varies from chip to chip. See how far you can get it without a voltage increase first, the Core 2s are quite good at overclocking with no voltage increases.

5. awhansen

awhansen Member

I only could get to 2.0GHz before having to up the voltage. The BIOS of my motherboard is the AMI (American Megatrends) if that helps at all.

6. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

What are the risks of overclocking a Q6600 and a NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS on a totally stock PC(No good cooling system or anything)?

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Overheat quicker with stock cooling, less with specialized fans/ heatsinks. Risk is heat. If you watch and dont let things get too hot, there is no risk, you just wont get as good OC before your thermal meltdown...

8. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

But how do I monitor my heat? I can't go taking the covers off my computer now, I'd be in the S.H.1.T. if I did. And are there any tuts on overclocking? I'm very new. (This has been my common interest for 15 mins as of 22:43PM)

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Most people around here use Everest or whatever monitoring programs comes with their installation disc of their mobo.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends what the stock system is. A lot of basic motherboards can't overclock quad cores because they will simply melt (literally) under the load.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh Yah!!! The new toys are in! Phenom II ready for torture LOL. I suppose im rather nervous about it though. I think I might let it acclimate a little longer. Especially with the headaches this beast gave me last night. UNKIND!!! Raptor HDD trouble(NEVER buy used through ebay!), Multiple freeze ups, HDD's didnt wanna boot. Yah...it was fun! Seems to be hovering around 30-35C. Cool as a sundae!!! And according to trusted sources, my cpu cooler may be on backwards! LOL

EDIT- new version of CPU-Z
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heres a little side by side comparison of phenom II and athlon 5200. Yes, im impressed, but...Somehow I was expecting a little more. Shouldnt the numbers be Twice what they were on the athlon? Or are quads still not fully supported enough for windows to know what to do with it?
    [​IMG]

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Those are all mathematical tests. I'm not even sure if they are multi threaded. I don't take much stock in them because I do everything now that I did with the E6750, and the 7750 AM2+ does everything I use the computer for as good or better than the E6750 did. It's light years smoother than the Intel! Very comfortable to use too! Time for Sisoft to tweak their software for the AMDs, just like they do for the C2D, Yorkfields and Core i7, as my 7750BE at 3.22GHz is nowhere near as slow as the numbers from Sandra would indicate. I'm both Impressed and happy with the 7750's performance! I hope the new motherboard shows tomorrow!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Holy cow!!! LOL. Its possible I ran the test before all proper drivers were installed LOL. Im laughing pretty hard right now. Thats what I get for running tests when im half asleep last night!
    Here is the TRUE results!!! And according to task manager it utilized 100% of each core during each test!
    [​IMG]

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There's nothing wrong with simple arithmetic tests for comparison but those test are clearly wrong. Try sisoft and see how it comes out.

16. haskins69

haskins69 Member

I need some help I've made it to 3.82Ghz with these settings

o'clocking E6850 on striker II formula

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    memory - unlinked
    Internal Thermal Control - Disabled
    Lim CPUID Max Value - Disabled
    Enhanced C1 - Disabled
    CPU C State - Disabled
    Execute Disable Bit - Disabled
    Virtualisation Technology -Disabled
    CPU Multiplier - 9.0
    Enhanced Speedstep - Disabled
    LDT Frequency - 5x

trrd - auto
    trc - 22
    twr - auto
    twtr - auto
    tref - auto
    trd - autotrfc - 54

CPU Volt - 1.425 for a start /1.432 got me to 3.82 Ghz
    CPU PLL -1.60-1.66-1.68
    CPU VTT - 1.30.1.40
    Mem V - 2.20
    NB V - 1.52
    SB V - 1.60
    1.2v HT V - 1.40 -1.45
    Bridge - auto

DDR cont - Auto
    DDR Chan A - ref
    DDR Chan B - ref

CPU GTL Ref - +30mV
    NB GTL Ref - +30mV
    Cpu Level up - auto
    Ai Overclock - manual
    Loadline Calibration - Enabled
    SLI Mem - Disabled

Spec's:
    Coolermasrer Stacker 830
    Tagen 1100watt
    Striker II Formula w/Bios 2001
    E6850 @3.0Ghz
    2GB corsaire value select 800mhz pc2 6400
    evga 8800GTS 320mb superclocked / slightly overclocked beyound the way it came stock 576/850/1350 now 623/925/1460
    Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
    Vista ultimate 32 bit

I made it to 3.82Ghz with vcore at 1.43
    whenI tried to go to 3.87Ghz/1720mhz fsb
    it folded and BSOD so I reset Bios ansd waited till some one who knows more than me could help me [I know basicly nothing] but I learn best by doing
    I was a aviation electronics tech in the Navy and Have wired houses for 20+ yr's so I'm not dumb and I know most of the terminalogy I"m just not sure as to what to change to get it to 4.0Ghz STABLE

any help would be great

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, a Striker II Formula. I'd take it easy on the overclocking to be honest, the Striker II is widely recognised as one of the top 5 most unreliable motherboards ever made.

18. haskins69

haskins69 Member

you don't have to laugh at me

and yeah your not telling me nothing I don't know I bought my system from cyberpower 1yr 6months ago with a striker extreme in it after 5 of those gem's in 8 month's

cyberpower upgraded[if you can call it that] me to this gem
    the first one ran 48 hours's , I'm on my third one now just replaced it again 10 day's ago

never overclocked before this one

this one has the newest BIOS 2001 although I had to flash It my self since ASUS said they would but .....UHHH.... forgot

this one runs very good , temp's are really low [ 27-29 C] even @3.82GHz they only rose by 1-2 degree's after 2 Hr

point is I know I got a pretty paper weight it's just a matter of time as history has shown me with the Striker series

so I just figured I've got it running and while it's running I may as well learn a little and use it as intended before it shit's it self again and before warranty run's out and I can't RMA it

see so far 8 motherboards and the only one I paid for was the first and I still have 2 more years of warranty

and of course my time , labor and headaches

so if I'm gonna screw it up now would be the time

so If you can help a old fat man

I don't want to run it at 4.0Ghz for ever I really just want to know if I can get it there and how to do it kinda a learning experiance

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WOW! I keep hearing alot of bad things about ASUS! I dont think i'll be buying their products again! Sorry about off topic :(

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh wow, welcome back, I remember our conversations... Sorry to be so dismissive, on the back of your experiences you can understand my caution. Generally, if you want to push further, CPU Vcore increase, memory multiplier adjustment and Northbridge voltage (MCH) increase are the only things you need to consider with a standard 65nm dual core.

Omegaman, to be fair, while Asus did make the worst job of a 780i board, the main problem is the 780i chipset itself, which is the worst chipset ever made, notorious for unreliability and even data corruption, and it also uses more power than a Core 2 Duo E6850 (when you haven't overclocked it, that is) - yes that's right, the board uses more power than the processor!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009