1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good to see you again Nuck, what experience with the X58 have you had?

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Understatement by little Sammy. lol. GREAT to see you Nuck!! Hope all is well and let us know how that X58 and i7 is running. ;)

...gm

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Nuck,
    Great to hear from you. Why don't you showcase that i7 here on the overclocking thread. I should think that you have yours tweaked to the roof! LOL No one here seems to have built one yet. Lots of activity all around here at the moment, Both Intel and AMD but no Core i7s! I know I can't afford one, and I guess a lot of people are in the same boat!

I finally sold my E6750 and replaced it with an AMD 7750BE on a Gigabyte GA-790GO-UD4H with 4GB (2x2) of Corsair Dominator 1066 Ram. New Cooler Master RC-534 case, 500w Coolermaster PSU and two new Pioneer ODDs. Everything is new except the heard drives! In spite of being at a lower clock speed and having about 8000 less MIPS, it seems to do everything I use a computer for as well or better than my old E6750 did! Imagine that! LOL!!

Best Regards and don't be such a stranger,
    Russ

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nuck,

What he means is don't be so STRANGE like he is..... heheheee. :p

I concur with some of Russ's logic here.... I'd love to see something that I can't readily afford and drool for the technology when it goes out of mainstream. ;) So come on buddy get to posting some of those go faster numbers. :D

....gm

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed! I wouldnt mind seeing some i7 posts :) Guess we'll just have to settle for Phenom II 940 Deneb!

Well, ive made my first attempts! I'll post some Sisoft Sandra bench marks next. Im EXTREMELY newbie, sooo...any tidbits or comments will be accepted with an open mind! Suggestions very welcome :)

The following was the first attempt. As you'll see, it booted, but didnt quite have the necessary V power to continue a task/Bench. The error window that popped up, popped up 4 times! I found that rather curious(since its 4 core CPU), but I wasnt expecting much from no voltage bump. So thats what I chalked it up to. Plus there were other bugs making themselves known. A .025 voltage bump seemed to correct it enough for the bench! Now i'll go from there for MORE stability testing. Idle temps are only 2-3c higher than before! AND, it may just be running smoother than stock!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'll probably need a slightly higher voltage than that to become 24/7 stable, but that's not a bad start I suppose. You're certainly not into the realms of needing 1.4V yet which is when things start hotting up.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I increased the volatage another .025! Before overclock, the temps were, CPU - 28C, Core 1, 2, 3, 4 40-41C idle. As you can see it hasnt risen by much. And the last voltage increase didnt raise it at all! Now i'll attempt to heat things up and see how warm things get LOL!

I also increased the FSB for good measure??? Is this not necessary for a black edition? Guys...I dont know much about this stuff. BUT I WANT TOO! LOL I basically read somewhere that speeding up the CPU is all fine and good, but at some point other components will Bottleneck. So increasing the FSB will increase, ram, HT, etc.

[​IMG]

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You may as well raise the multiplier first, it's the simplest way of overclocking a CPU, as it doesn't stress any of the other components.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I didn't think that 6mhz was extreme LOL. As I said though, EXTREMELY newbie LOL! Looks like ive got room for quite a bit more too. Im running Rebuilder/CCE right now, and its averaging 40C cpu, 54C on all cores! I dont run any high stress applications other than rebuilder. im sure an actual stress test would yield higher temps! Though Dr. Divx 1.06 use to utilize the athlon 5200's full potential!!! That would get fairly warm. Though I dont use it much anymore! What do you think of my temps Sam???

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Leave it running for half a hour or so and then report temps... :)

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I was under the impression that 5 min, and the temperature would've leveled off for the most part? Thats certainly been the case for most of my testing. I think I let orthos run for 8. Between 5-8 I think it only rose 1 degree.

Well...60% through the build, and temperature remains the same. I guess im gonna have to run some real stress tests in the morning. Its 4:00am here. Happy OC'ing everyone :) Thanks for your opinions Sam, I truly appreciate it. :D

OK, OK. CCE is not designed to utilize the full potential. Much like with my dual core, its utilizing only 75% of my overall potential!!! Now im even more impressed!!! When I would run HC encoder however, it was a little more sluggish on my athlon 5200 when trying to multitask. I guess I can try that tomorrow too :D

12. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Been months since I couldnt OC my rig any notch. No hardware has failed or given signs of failure. This thing has me going crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heres a nearly 10min stress. It showed virtually no indication that the temp was gonna go up anymore! Infact, it kept dropping to 59 and then back up to 60 on the cores, as well as the main CPU temp. Im gonna let it sit at 3500MHZ for a few days, maybe less to see how well it does. Sorry about no Sandra posts. Im in the process of learning the software :p
    [​IMG]

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't see that with the 7750 at all. The temp difference between running at stock 2.7GHz and 3.2GHz and set to 1.49v is 1C. I've since lowered it to 1.46, and it runs fine. I found the same thing with the E6750! Heat was not an issue unless you exceeded the maximum voltage allowed!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps not with idle temperatures, but you certainly will with load temperatures. In particular, with my Q9550, stock 1.25V and 1.40V are 8C apart even at idle.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    So far my load temperatures have not exceeded 52C running Linpack or Orthos, even with room temps of 80F/27C and higher during the recent warm spell we just had. The modern AM2 chips seem to run cooler than the 939 chips did. With mine it will hit a max of 46C while encoding Oxi is in the front room, which is considerably warmer (about 90F/32C) with the swamp cooler running in the summertime, and I've never seen it higher than 36C at idle, and not close to overheating when stressed. A Freezer 64 and a single 92mm case fan is all it's got for cooling, along with a 50mm fan on the chipset and the airflow from the PSU. That's all the cooling it has Like mine, it see's a lot of use, as Russell has gaps in his work schedule, and constantly plays AOE II on it when he isn't working. Even with the extreme temperatures we get here, it runs remarkably cool. I know 90+ sounds pretty warm, but when you walk out the door and it's 115-117F outside, 90+ is cool! LOL!!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Running Linpack my Q9550 eventually reaches about 61C, with a room temperature of maybe 25-26. This is with the CPU fan at 1000rpm, so that part of the system at least is near silent.
    The main problem I have at the moment is the heat from the auxiliary sinks of the X2s and the chipset heatsink really heats the system up. The chipset will run up to 65C if I leave the case fans down (at the same speed, the X38-DS4 with one X2 managed a max of 53). Consequently, with the side fan at max speed (1300rpm) I get a CPU idle temp of about 44C (which is odd as the temperature of the heatsink is about 30C, maybe less. Could be time to re-apply the thermal paste perhaps)
    The temp of the chipset heatsink, whilst perhaps not reaching 65, isn't far off at all. The X48-DS5's chipset cooler is woefully inadequate. I will likely be borrowing Shaff's Maximus II Formula (well, buying then selling), so will see how that changes things.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When you guys speak of your main temp, your speaking of the CPU temp right? Not the core temps which are higher? So sams temps at 65C could be pushing 80C on the Cores??? Clarification please! :)

Oh, sorry. You were speaking of the chipset temp!

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

lol, now I'm confused. Should the cpu temp or the core temp be higher? The cpu temp is higher then the core temps by an average of 7C on my E6600 according to Everest.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    No, we were discussing CPU temps and overvolting. I don't even show the cores in everest in the task bar. They don't tell you very much to begin with. To my minds eye, the difference between the cores and the CPU temps is reflected it the CPU Cooler's ability to remove heat and keep the overall CPU temp down. To my thinking if the CPU temp is good, so are the cores, and without them being displayed, it's less confusing. Just my opinion!

Russ